• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

baby birds in bbq issue (1 Viewer)

NoFear93

Hi , I have some Starling babies in my bbq, they are feathered now but 2 have died, and the bbq is very hot inside also showing 300 degrees on the gauge.
the 2 dead ones really smell and there is flies all over the place,
can i like put on some rubber gloves and remove the 2 dead ones so the other 2 dont have to live in there with them and all the flies?
I dont wanna make the parents abandon them but at the same time i feel like i need to take them out because i dont think the parents are able to since they are dead on the lower rack and are grown a bit.

thanks

At this stage I don't believe you will be doing any harm removing the dead juvies. Is there anyway you can prop the bbq up just a bit to allow some fresh air to move around in there?

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t: Please, if you don't mind, could you keep us updated on the remaining two?

Agree, removing the dead chicks won’t cause the parents to desert. Birds will sometimes abandon eggs if disturbed but never healthy nestlings.

Ok here's a little update, upon moving the dead babies the nest was full of maggots underneath them , which is another reason why i think the 2 alive ones were sticking to the top rack. I ended up just going to get some fresh long dead grass from down the road and making a nice new bed for them , i had to move them in a box with the temporary nest for a while then i have now placed them back inside the cleaner BBQ, they seem to be coming in the back and i think since they have survived this long I'm sure they will be ok in the setup as the back of the BBQ has about a 3 inch opening across the whole rear.
one bird was very active while the other was more docile , I'm hoping they both survive and mom and dad come back to feed them! they are quite large , one had 2 baby feathers on each side of its head like ears , so maybe a week or 2 they be gone !

thanks for the replies guys ill post back with more info, hopefully saying they flew off!!!:t:

Last edited:
well glad to say the birds flew off today, saw them both on the railing this morning when i was leaving, came back from work to find the bbq is empty! 1 egg didn't hatch and 2 birds died but at least 2 survived even the more docile one i didn't think was gonna make it , probably a good thing i cleaned out that nest because i'm sure those maggots woulda got too them quickly

thanks for the replies

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back