• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorst's Cisticola (1 Viewer)

GMK

Anyone know why IOC continues to recognise the above species under the name Cisticola dorsti, when it was demonstrated already seven years ago (to the satisfaction even of one of its describers) that the name dorsti is a synonym of C. ruficeps guinea? (see attachment). Or is it just an oversight? Its scientific name surely should be C. guinea.

IOC list masters watching this forum: the credit for pointing out this apparent error belongs to Ron Demey, not me.

Attachments

• Dowsett-Lemaire.pdf
    152.2 KB · Views: 379
Anyone know why IOC continues to recognise the above species under the name Cisticola dorsti, when it was demonstrated already seven years ago (to the satisfaction even of one of its describers) that the name dorsti is a synonym of C. ruficeps guinea? (see attachment). Or is it just an oversight? Its scientific name surely should be C. guinea.

IOC list masters watching this forum: the credit for pointing out this apparent error belongs to Ron Demey, not me.

Guy - your wish has been granted. In the latest IOC draft 3.2 (posted a couple days ago as I recall), it has
Seq Previous IOC List English Name Updated List (v3.2) Code Reference

147 Cisticola dorsti Dorst’s Cisticola Cisticola guinea TAX C. dorsti is a junior synonym of C. guinea. Dowsett-Lemaire, Borrow & Dowsett 2005

In another section they are promoting C. r. guinea to C. guinea.
Remove ssp guinea which is synonymous with Dorst’s Cisticola (formerly C. dorsti). The latter assumes the scientific name C. guinea

Last edited:
A quick check elsewhere...

Ryan 2006 (HBW 11), BirdLife and African Bird Club have adopted C guinea; but Cornell (Clements/eBird) and Peterson (Zoonomen) maintain C dorsti.

147 Cisticola dorsti Dorst’s Cisticola Cisticola guinea TAX C. dorsti is a junior synonym of C. guinea. Dowsett-Lemaire, Borrow & Dowsett 2005

Good.

Incidentally, somewhere on the IOC website I noticed that the rationale for changing Donaldson-Smith (e.g. for his nightjar) to Donaldson Smith was attributed to a Nigel Redman pers. comm. In fact, I mentioned why the hyphen (which somewhere crept into the literature) should be removed in a publication several years ago in BBOC 130(4): 235.

Good.

Incidentally, somewhere on the IOC website I noticed that the rationale for changing Donaldson-Smith (e.g. for his nightjar) to Donaldson Smith was attributed to a Nigel Redman pers. comm. In fact, I mentioned why the hyphen (which somewhere crept into the literature) should be removed in a publication several years ago in BBOC 130(4): 235.

Many thanks Guy
Will add proper credit
f

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back