• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Budget guide for Kinabalu? (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

I am a visiting Sabah in April and will have very little time to bird- planning on a couple nights on the Kinabatangan, one in Sepilok and two in Kinabalu. I'm looking for a guide for a day trip to Gg. Kinabalu for me and one other person. I'm used to paying around $150usd for a top guide in my neck of the woods, regardless of group size, and have not been able to find one in Sabah who works for a price I can afford despite emailing several.

Can anyone recommend such a guide, or am I doomed to spend upwards of $250 US if I want a guided trip in the area?

Hi. Your other option is a non-professional, casual birdwatcher whom would only request for some fuel fee and your local bird stamps :D

Sorry unsure about other guides fees..

Hi,

If you want to CLIMB Mt Kinabalu, you need a park guide. But with only 2 days, you can go on your own in the low part of the mountain where the endemics are (and well maintained paths). Although I am sure with the local birder will be much nicer!

If you have one day, hitchhike to the Timpohon gate.
check very carefully for Everett's Thrush along the road;
walk the first part of Bukit Ular trail;
go back at 7 when the Timpohon gate opens. Go up a bit (or a bit more if you want Friendly Bush-warbler.
go back down and slowly walk down Bukit Ular trail.
Walk down any of the trails going down, having a mid-afternoon stop at the bungalows scanning for birds at the forest edge.
Go back up a bit and walk the road for Everett's Thrush or any trail for partridges around 5PM.
On the way out, listen to Mountain Scops-owl and try to find one! Same for Brown Wood-owl.

You will find more birds with a guide, but birding in general will be slow, guided or not. So my advice would be to walk slowly and soak in the atmosphere and the forest.

Agree with others that birding G Kinabalu is easily done without a guide, as the birding is along the road and well marked trails. I wouldn't let not finding a guide put you off.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back