• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kinabatangan: Bilit, Sukau or Abai? (1 Viewer)

madpitta

United States
Can someone help me with choosing one or two lodges for birding on the Kinabatangan river? I've never been to Borneo before so a lot will be new for me. Even so, I am most interested in a lodge that gives me the best chance for Bornean Ground Cuckoo, Storm's Stork, Hornbills and species that I am unlikely to encounter in Danum Valley Conservation Area. Would really appreciate any advice on this.

Visiting in July or August.

-Pritam.

Kinabatangan Jungle Camp for preference. Rehabilitated Storm's Stork and its wild partner are around all the time. And very professional and friendly owner. But it is often booked full.

Kinabatangan Jungle Camp for preference. Rehabilitated Storm's Stork and its wild partner are around all the time. And very professional and friendly owner. But it is often booked full.

Thanks Jurek. This was really helpful. Overall I get the feeling that Borneo is rather pricey :).

Not if you get to Danum Valley Field Center. Officially it accepts only those with an afilliation to a nature or scientific organization. However, many Bornean tourist bureaus book people there, also online. If you book there, do it much in advance to get a place in one-family bungalow, not into the noisy common hall (hostel) which also is over 1 km from the meals. And get some snacks and own torch. And if you have decent field skills, don't worry about the official prohibition of wandering on your own. Overall it is a rather strangely organized place. Read tripadvisor reviews, both the good and bad ones are true at the same time. But it provides you access to good birds. I was there a week, would love to spend longer.

And NW Sabah - the area of mount Kinabalu - you can do yourself with a rented car and book online a variety of hotels and hostels, almost like Europe.

Last edited:
Thanks again. Do you know of any agency that books DV Field Center without marking up the price a few times over (which I was told is a common thing to do)? Otoh this webpage: http://www.searrp.org/danum-valley/the-field-centre/reservations/ looks 'official' enough but not sure if it is possible to reserve a bed for birding through the listed emails addresses.

Thanks for the tip about the KK rental car option. Looks like they are not very expensive (max $60 for low clear, auto, 1300 cc) so that must be the best way to keep costs under control in Crocker/Kinabalu area if I am to back-and-forth on the roads.

Another vote for Robert Chong at the Kinabatangan Jungle Camp. We also booked a car to travel to Mt Kinabalu via Green Matrix at KK airport who were very helpful.
Tony

Last edited:
When I inquired (2011), this was the price for a package Robert Chong was offering:

Cost RM1580 per person (3days/3nights at KJC) that includes:
1)Transfer from Sukau junction to Kinabatangan Jungle Camp + transfer from Kinabatangan Jungle Camp to Sepilok
2)Three nights accommodation in KJC. Rooms twin/double sharing basis with ceiling fan, bath attached and hot shower.
3) All meals
4) Maximum of 7 boat cruises over three days and inclusive of ONE night boat cruise for the Buffy Fish Owl and a chance with the Oriental Bay Owl.
5) Guiding service (for three days at Kinabatangan Jungle Camp)...Robert Chong!
6) Gomantong Caves Visit (Entrance Fee Extra)

When I asked him about any cheaper options (i.e. I told him I was happy with something more basic, he came up with a shorter schedule for almost the same price...

Cost for 2d/2n all inclusive package is RM 1380 per person. that includes the following:
1) Transfer from Sepilok Foreste Edge Resort to KJC and return
2)TWO nights’ accommodation in KJC. Rooms twin/double sharing basis with ceiling fan, bath attached and hot shower.
3) All meals
4) Maximum of 5 boat cruises over three days and inclusive of ONE night boat cruise for the Buffy Fish Owl and a chance with the Oriental Bay Owl.
5) Guiding service by... Robert Chong

That is about 170 euro per person per day...

So my question: what is the current price asked by Robert?

The offer is almost similar to your first above for 1590, but seems to exclude drop-off beyond Bilit dock. Still haven't heard back from DVFC. Looks like Bilit to Lahad Datu is doable by a transfer at Sukau junction.

I would opt (or better: risk/dare/try) to show up at DVFC without any prior notice, just make sure you are at the office in Lahad Datu on the right day at the right time (about 1 hour before departure of the vehicles) and you should be allright. I sent emails and emails, and in the end, I still had to go through an inquiry of my personal situation (student or not etc) when checking out, in order to determine the amount I had to pay.
At DVFC, there is one foodstall serving the same food every night (fried rice etc.) for next to nothing, just to say that they couldn't and shouldn't refuse you on the basis of not having any food for you. The only thing that could get in the way is there is no accommodation available, but I guess the private rooms are almost never completely booked. Even though the shared dormitories are quite big, they can be fully booked when e.g. a school is visiting.

Last edited:
I found DVFC dormitories to be real pain. First, noisy, second, long walk for a meal - it can be stinking hot or torrential rain, or you may be tired. So I would try to make sure well in advance that you get a private room (fully booked when we were in). Try to contact DVFC staff, or shop for a company offering the least overhead. There is also a campsite with hummocks under a tin roof, bathroom and shower. However, if it is raining, it is like drum concert. But one birder was staying there.

BTW, if you are keen of mammals, it may be possible to drive to DVFC from Lahad Datu now, as the road last year was decent. You better inform DVFC in advance that you just MUST do it, and buy a petrol tank, but then you can do own spotlighting drives at night. Incredible variety of mammals possible.

Positive was my experience of Sepilok, and Sepilok B&B. It is not the best site, but Hooded Pitta on the grounds, and easy walking distance to the really decent rainforest with a variety of birds. On budget and first time in Borneo, I would try to stay there maximum of time and see as many specialities as possible. Skipped orangutan feeding show at Sepilok altogether, although seen one from the canopy tower.

Last edited:
BTW, if you are keen of mammals, it may be possible to drive to DVFC from Lahad Datu now, as the road last year was decent. You better inform DVFC in advance that you just MUST do it, and buy a petrol tank, but then you can do own spotlighting drives at night. Incredible variety of mammals possible.

Not possible now to drive to Danum Valley for security reasons. Better go with the vehicle provided by DVFC if you managed to get rooms there.

Not getting a bed in DVFC after showing up without reservations is a terrifying prospect. And I plan to spend the whole day in the field returning only for dinner so a good night's sleep would be very important (a noisy dorm might not cut it). Reading the reviews I get the feeling that their setup is a little bizarre and maybe no guarantee that they will have any record of a reservation. Even so, I'll make it a point to get a reservation. Doesn't DVFC have a night drive option for a fee? I was under the impression that outside rental cars are not allowed in both BRL & DVFC. But then the regenerating habitat between DVFC and LD might hold species that are difficult in the reserve proper so without a rental car it would be impossible to bird that stretch :(.

Horukuru, what type of 'security problems' might be encountered in that stretch?

Not getting a bed in DVFC after showing up without reservations is a terrifying prospect. And I plan to spend the whole day in the field returning only for dinner so a good night's sleep would be very important (a noisy dorm might not cut it). Reading the reviews I get the feeling that their setup is a little bizarre and maybe no guarantee that they will have any record of a reservation. Even so, I'll make it a point to get a reservation. Doesn't DVFC have a night drive option for a fee? I was under the impression that outside rental cars are not allowed in both BRL & DVFC. But then the regenerating habitat between DVFC and LD might hold species that are difficult in the reserve proper so without a rental car it would be impossible to bird that stretch :(.

Horukuru, what type of 'security problems' might be encountered in that stretch?

Many from what I understand. It is also good if you can get the Ranger at DVFC to show you the trails etc. Not advisable to go birding by yourselves. The staffs at DVFC has the final call to allowed or not any visitors to stayed at the Field Centre.

Last edited:
I found the general impression in DVFC a little 'awkward'.
First I went through a lot of (friendly and informing) emails, but I had to stress my 'reputation' as a birdwatcher / researcher. I was a researcher at that time, but not on birds. So I told a rather vague story about me being a researcher, hardcore birdwatcher, member of the Oriental Bird Club etcetera. Not to boost my ego, but just to show my credentials so they would let me stay there!
Second, when in the field centre, there was hardly anyone there to introduce us to the site. Yes there were signs saying you weren't allowed to go out on your own, but I never planned taking a guide and was happy they didn't offer me, too! There were a lot of people (employees of the field centre?), with big pick-ups using them to go from one building 100mtrs further to another... We were walking the whole day in the tallest and oldest forest in the world searching for pittas, and these guys were smoking sigarettes and driving their pick-ups and putting up signs you shouldn't enter the forest without a guide... Not the situation where a stubborn guy like me would obey their rules!

That was the awkward thing: We were about the only guests, going on the trails from 5 in the morning 'till dark, and nobody looked after us or knew where we were hanging out. They knew we would show up for dinner around 7PM, and as such, dinner was on the table at that time. (note that shared dormitories are approx. 500 mtrs away from the dining hall, this is quite far for tired legs at the end of the day!)

One night, there was rumour about a night drive by a (German?) young researcher who was studying herps (mainly at night, so we didn't often meet eachother at the field centre). So we agreed on joining and it turned out there were some other (Malaysian) tourists that day wanting to do the same. The driver and guy with the big torch seemed experienced in doing night drives, and we did see some cool stuff (though not the Marbled Cat - kind - of - stuff).

Does anyone think a personal rental car adds value in the DVFC area? Btw its come to my attention that the FC might be SC now (Study Center). Anyone has Wang Kong's (the DV bird guide) phone number or email address?

Not sure about the use of a car in DVFC. Wang Kong, who now works at Tabin rather than Danum can be contacted either through Tabin or via www.birds.my via Stephen(at)birds.my. [Please use @ instead of at!] Or, at least he could be last October!
Tony

Does anyone think a personal rental car adds value in the DVFC area? Btw its come to my attention that the FC might be SC now (Study Center). Anyone has Wang Kong's (the DV bird guide) phone number or email address?

Tourists are not allowed to drive their vehicles inside Danum Valley and Wang Kong is no longer working with Tabin Wildlife Lodge. His contact no is +601138740072. No email as he told me just now. If you have Whatsapp App, he is reachable via that too

A couple of things from back in 2007:
Get a lift from Kinabatangan to the Sukau junction and you can then easily take a cheap taxi to Lahad Datu.
We booked DVFC private rooms through BRL. My memory is that it wasn't overly expensive that way.

Andy

Thanks for the tip about the KK rental car option. Looks like they are not very expensive (max $60 for low clear, auto, 1300 cc) so that must be the best way to keep costs under control in Crocker/Kinabalu area if I am to back-and-forth on the roads.

Depending on how pushed you are for time, the sites around KK (Crocker range, Mt K, Poring, Rafflesia Reserve) are all easy to get between on public transport if you want to save money.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back