• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (10 Viewers)

Not very raptor-ous about today

Much thrashing about in various places today turned up nothing. Managed to be underneath all sorts of raptors, usually finding out later, without seeing owt, 'cept for a couple of Hobbies.

So I went home with a Chinese- only to be interrupted by some Prat. Views of its foreparts were scant compensation.

A quick jaunt to WRunton produced another (probably) slightly hybrid male Grey-headed Wagtail. A poor pic of yesterday evening's brief view of the Citrine at Cley is attached; as is one of the several rather pale Painted Ladies that appeared today.

Will it get better tomorrow ? ! Please !

Attachments

• P1080038#001.jpg
    P1080038#001.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 123
  • P1080047#001.jpg
    P1080047#001.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 64
HARDCORE BIRDING - MEGA AWESOME DAY!!!

Arrived on a track on the Salthouse road at 6.30am to try and see/hear Wood Warbler. Pouring very heavily with rain. Walked up the track to top field where I last saw a whinchat and the area of bushes that was there is now a ploughed field! 6.40am On THIS ploughed field I saw what I thought was a thrush going by the size - on closer inspection is was in fact a LARGE lark with a crest, very upright stance, 2 patches of dark streaking on breast, at least a third bigger than a skylark - the most interesting thing was it bobbed up and down like a dipper!!!!!??? It then took off and flew high north towards Walsey Hills direction, gave info to RBA in case anyone else saw it - I was just hoping and praying that an eagle eyed Cley birder would pick up later but alas no one has yet!!! 7am Turtle Dove purring away, nightingale singing along with Cettis' Warbler and chiffchaffs. Could not hear the Wood Warbler so nipped round to Walsey Hills NOA but couldn't find anything apart from Willow Warblers, chiffchaffs, robins and whitethroats. Went back to listen for Wood Warbler (still no luck) BUT had in ONE tree!!! a pair of bullfinches, 2 garden warblers and a female pied flycatcher briefly landed on a branch!!

Blakeney Point - 9.45am

Riddled with Reed Buntings on every suada bush - at least 100+, several meadow pipits, few hedgesparrows, 12 Gannets flew west, 2 Greenshank, 2 Common Whitethroat. Walking in the pouring rain is NOT fun when you are not seeing what you expect to see!!! I made an extra effort to go down all the little paths, through suada etc etc. Got to the Plantation and collapsed on a wet tussock for lunch in the rain (oh what fun!) I was so pleased I had bought a big flask of coffee! Willow Warbler, reed warbler and common whitethroat, not even the spot fly that Josh had yesterday was to be seen!!! A wheatear was nearby. Walked out to near, mid and far point (well as far as you can, because its understandably roped off for the terns at the moment) - I walked and walked in desperate hope and excitement of a bluethroat. A few wheatears dotted about, 10 ringed plovers and usual waders, terns, brent geese adorned the mudflats and pools. The skies above me I realised looked pretty horrific.... they got blacker and blacker and for one moment a spiral started and I seriously thought a tornado was developing!!! I was a long way from Tern Hide for shelter and suddenly (very suddenly) the skies opened and belted down hailstones and rain, thunder and massive fork lightening - aghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! Got next to a dune and sat with my head down and shut my eyes!!!! I sat there laughing, because I couldn't believe I was sitting there in all of this!!! Eventually it stopped and the sun came out - I stood up and was soaked through even my waterproofs (obviously need to get some new ones!) Good I thought - that must have dropped some goodies out of the skies! Made my way back to the Plantation where there was NOTHING new! Met up with Simeon who I walked back with to Cley Beach Carpark - before we started the trudge back Simeon spotted a Whinchat in the lupins at 3.30pm. Walked back at leisurely pace (in case we had to go back!), as we had left Josh still at the plantation and I hate leaving that plantation as something always comes up after I have left! At Halfway house we stopped and had a refreshment stop and then carried on - the hut on the carpark seemed to be in our sight forever - EVENTUALLY we got there! There was virtually no birds on the way back at all and very few reed buntings. We kept our eyes peeled for raptors there were being seen from Cley, Osprey, Black Kite Titchwell, honey buzzard but saw none!

Weybourne - Salthouse

Followed the track at Muckleborough to try for the Wood Warbler. Narrow, hilly little path that eventually came to a clearing, we had not stood here for more than 5 minutes (heard nothing) when Pete S. phoned me in an urgent voice 'you haven't looked at the pager have you?' 'OMG what' I said - 'Collared Pratincole' Salthouse Beach Carpark' - well that was it, Simeon and I charged down that path (really must lose weight, puffing and panting like an old lady, ridiculous!) like a bull was after us, shot up the road and joined the throngs of tripod legs to view an AWESOME Collared Pratincole in the grassy field in the sunshine 6.50pm - it doesn't get much better than that - all the locals got there in minutes. It was great to be so close at the time and thank you Pete:t: NWT Cley Visitor Centre will be MEGA busy tomorrow!!!!!

Left here to try for Wood Warbler in a different place and then Simeon and I madly decided to go to Great Ryborough for the Hoopoe. We didn't make it - it had gone to bed and so I am! So you all tomorrow!!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Hi all,
I'm off to cley 2moz and wondered if I'm rite in saying that the Citrine Wag and the Kentish Plover have been seen from Daukes Hide most of the time also does anyone now any more on the Icterine Warbler 2day at Cley.

Simeon saw the Kentish from North Hide in the morning today.

The Citrine is usually seen best from Bishops Hide (hide to the far right when standing at visitor centre looking out over marsh)

Icterine - don't know, sorry, have a good day.

Cley should be MEGA tomorrow - will be jam packed with birders - pager hopefully will be going off non stop:t:

What a grey day ! (West Runton)

The ploughed and sprouting field that, yesterday, held a hybrid male Grey-headed Wagtail, today turned up trumps.

At least 3 good (Rowling: "pureblood") thunbergi males were in evidence and then appeared to leave. They were probably followed by 2 more, less yellow, males and up to 4 female types. A female flavissima completed the gathering.

A fleeting Whinchat was in the run-down farm enclosure.

And then the rains came down.

Citrine Wagtail was apparently only reported once yesterday, mid-afternoon, but there was a "no-sign" of report later on.

ad an awesome day out compared to Monday...Kentish Plover, 2 Temmick's Stints, and Collared Pratincole....for details, see Penny's posts!

Titchwell May 16th

Today's highlights

Red rumped swallow - 1 west @ 13:50
Spoonbill - 2 west @ 13:35
Little gull - 1 on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 1 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Bittern - 1 in flight from Fen Hide

Water vole showing very well (down to 1m at times) along the Meadow Trail for over an hour this morning - the best views I have ever had at Titchwell!

Paul

Hi all,
I saw the Collard Prtincole this morning. First sighting at Salthouse but a very short and poor view. Then 10mins later got off the bus at cley walked up the hill and the bird was 20ft above me, then it flew west.

Kite sp over Thetford this eve mobbed by 2 corvids. Only had time to view with bins before it disappeared and concerned that I couldn't pick out any obvious rufous on the bird but general jizz has me leaning more towards Red Kite.

Hope to head to Cley area first thing so fingers crossed the Prat's still about, been a while since I've seen one!

Chris

Runton Wagtails

The ploughed and sprouting field that, yesterday, held a hybrid male Grey-headed Wagtail, today turned up trumps.

At least 3 good (Rowling: "pureblood") thunbergi males were in evidence and then appeared to leave. They were probably followed by 2 more, less yellow, males and up to 4 female types. A female flavissima completed the gathering.

A fleeting Whinchat was in the run-down farm enclosure.

And then the rains came down.

A few (poorish) pics attached of some of the Yellow Wagtail Ssp's that were present in the field and along the cliff top this evening, with at least 3 males and 3 females there.

One of the males present looked ok for Grey-headed, but the other two males that were there were intermediate types with dark green crowns and napes with black patches on the ear coverts and appeared almost black-headed when distant.

Simon

Attachments

• YWagtail.jpg
    YWagtail.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 123
  • YWagtail1.jpg
    YWagtail1.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 121
  • YWagtail2.jpg
    YWagtail2.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 100
  • YWagtail3.jpg
    YWagtail3.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 102
  • YWagtail4.jpg
    YWagtail4.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 127
Saturday 16th May

Paul very kindly took me to Scolthead Island where we saw absolutely nothing of note (very disappointing) apart from a few smart Reed Buntings and a cuckoo and chiffchaff were calling. I was in hysterics getting back in the boat as nearly lost my welly in the mud:-O - boat ride a bit scary today, as it was a very low tide and we kept hitting sand banks!!!:eek!:

Great Ryborough - distant but excellent views of the Hoopoe at 2.15pm.

Swanton Novers - 5 Common Buzzards, 1 Hobby, 3 Sparrowhawks and a Yellow Hammer.

Friary Hills- second helpings of the Collared Pratincole, although a very distant speck!

Weybourne - tried for Wood Warbler again, but no luck.

Muckleborough Hill - first time here, absolutely cracking place and the views from the top were awesome - would like a house on the top there!!! Surely this must be a fab place for raptor watching?!

Sheringham - Fish n chips;)

Salthouse - Several nightingales singing away and several Nightjars!!!!!!!

Last day of holiday, now really I should stay at home tomorrow and get some boring jobs done - we'll see;)

I am enjoying the Cley end of the coast far more than North West Norfolk nowadays - perhaps I should relocate!!!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
WRunton waggies

Thank you, Master Tractor, for sorting out some of the thunbergi / intergrade IDs from yesterday.

We didn't get anything like as close as you and, thus, were unable to obtain any pix.

For the second year running, the site seems to be the Grey-headed 'capital' of the UK- and not just for its proportion of OAPs !

Titchwell May 17th

Today's highlights

Spoonbill - 1 on fresh marsh until 10:10 before flying west towards Holme
Dunlin - 15 on fresh marsh
Med gull - 2 1st summer birds on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 2 on brackish marsh
Eider - 5 offshore
Little gull - adult on fresh marsh
Lesser redpoll - 1 on feeders

Chinese water deer - 2 on saltmarsh
Water vole - 1 showing well on dragonfly pool
Water shrew - 1 in ditch near Fen Hide

Paul

HARDCORE BIRDING - MEGA AWESOME DAY!!!
On THIS ploughed field I saw what I thought was a thrush going by the size - on closer inspection is was in fact a LARGE lark with a crest, very upright stance, 2 patches of dark streaking on breast, at least a third bigger than a skylark - the most interesting thing was it bobbed up and down like a dipper!!!!!???

Surely there is only one real possibility here...?

Great overhead views of displaying honey buzzard at Swanton Novers this afternoon. The bird was visable for almost an hour. Red Kite seen from the Wensum Valley Watch point this morning and a different bird ( with wing moult ) giving very good prolonged close views at the Swanton Novers Watch point . Also at Swanton Novers 9 common buzzards up togeather late morning.

From plumage details the honey buzzard apears to be the same male that has been in the area for the past 5 years. A female was reported yesterday , but I havent managed to see it yet ( its taken me 2 days to catch up with the male).

I was driving along the Acle Straight towards Yarmouth at 7.15pm on Saturday and was about halfway along it when I noticed a harrier over the marshes on the left hand side. I assumed it was a Marsh Harrier but as it approached the road we converged and I saw that it was grey with black wing tips. I then assumed it was a male Hen Harrier. It crossed directly in front of my car about 4-5 metres away and I noticed it looked a bit dirty underneath rather than a clean pale grey. It was gliding along, with the wings outstretched, so the underside of the wings weren't clearly visible. I was driving along, with cars in front of and behind me, so I didn't get a chance for a really good look but I now wonder if it was a male Montagu's Harrier. Have there been any reports of any in the area on Saturday?

Ron

Hi Chris

We had a Red Kite over Thetford (Fisher Way nr Tesco) on Saturday at 1655hrs, quite low being mobbed by corvids. Headed off west.
Dawn Balmer

Hi Chris

We had a Red Kite over Thetford (Fisher Way nr Tesco) on Saturday at 1655hrs, quite low being mobbed by corvids. Headed off west.
Dawn Balmer

Hi Dawn,

If it wasn't for the time I would say we were looking at the same bird as I live near Tesco, but I was definitely still in Norwich at 16.55. Think it must've been nearer 18.30. Could well be the same bird though, was it very dull for a Red?

Chris

Great overhead views of displaying honey buzzard at Swanton Novers this afternoon. The bird was visable for almost an hour. Red Kite seen from the Wensum Valley Watch point this morning and a different bird ( with wing moult ) giving very good prolonged close views at the Swanton Novers Watch point . Also at Swanton Novers 9 common buzzards up togeather late morning.

From plumage details the honey buzzard apears to be the same male that has been in the area for the past 5 years. A female was reported yesterday , but I havent managed to see it yet ( its taken me 2 days to catch up with the male).
Great views of one male Honey at Swanton Novers early afternoon. On view for 20-30 minutes and wing-clapping frequently. Apparenty had also been up several times in the morning too. Managed a couple of Common Buzzards and a Sparrowhawk (rather amusing called by most present as a Hobby).

Also after a frustrating early morning dip at the Collared Pratincole at Friary Hills on Sunday (where despite the good forecast, it rained for 2.5 hours!), I arrived at Cley at 11am today to hear that it had flown off 10mins earlier - typical!. I was beginning to feel like this was "one of those birds", but a quick trip back to Friary Hills and I managed to locate it in the field with the cattle. Pretty distant, but still a brilliant bird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back