• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oxfordshire birding (1 Viewer)

3 Jack snipe noted in Abingdon on 25th.
Glaucous gull and Iceland gull at both Dix pit today and at Farmoor in the roost, believed to be the same birds. Water pipit and Bearded tit still present at Farmoor.

Gareth

Otmoor lane closure

The lane will be closed from:

7 January 2008 - 14 April 2008

Monday to Friday between 08:30-16:30

Saturday 08:30-13:00

Thames Water is installing a sewage pipeline for the residents of Beckley. Pedestrian access is still permitted, however it is a mile walk to the reserve entrance from Beckley and parking in the village is limited.

If visitors are keen to access the reserve during the closure period, public footpaths and bridleways to the reserve will remain open. However, they do get very muddy, and parking will be difficult in some places.

We are sorry for the inconvenience this work is going to cause. Unfortunately, the RSPB is unable to influence when this work is undertaken or the timings of when the lane is closed.

If you have questions please feel free to contact the reserve office on 01865 351163 or email [email protected]

The two white gulls still roosting at Farmoor and at Dix pit in the day.

Port meadow is seeing an increase of winter birds with Peregrine, Redpoll, Pintail, Ruff Godwit and Dunlin all being noted today.

Lesser redpolls reported at South stoke and Siskins at Warburg .

Gareth

Cheers for all the info - I'm looking forward to next time i'm in the area for a decent length of time (next visit to Banbury will be fleeting) as I now have a good list of sites to visit.

Peregrine over north of Banbury this afternoon.

Little egret at Ewelme cress beds.
Iceland gull and Yellow-legged gull at Dix pit. Glaucous gull in roost at Farmoor, also Water pipit on the cause way and 3 Jack snipe on the meadows.

Gareth

Well,well, well...
What i should have said in my last post was no where but Farmoor and Dix pit. Dix pit has turned up trumps with not only it's long stayind Iceland gull but another of Canadian origin. There is still debate as to whether it is a kumlien's or a thayer's but its certainly a good bird: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=102578&highlight=oxon&page=1.

I went today for a brief lunch time visit but typically wasn't on show. Was there before and there after but not while i was there! The Iceland however showed very well and there were Caspian gulls, 3 Red crested pochards, 2 Redpolls, and Ruff seen in the morning.

Of note else where a single Brambling was seen in Stanton st John on the 5th.

Gareth

Kumlien's/Thayer's gull still present this morning at Dix pit, then seen flying in the direction of Farmoor reservoir (where it roosted last night).

2 Jack snipe reported at iffley meadows,and 7 at Abingdon (not sure where though) with a whopping 225 common snipe.

Gareth

Last edited:
There has been no further sign of the Canadian Iceland gull since gull scaring started on the tip.

Other sightings:
Dix pit - 10th - Caspian gull x2
Iceland gull
Yellow legged gull x10
Farmoor - 9th - Med gull
Yellow legged gull 8+
Water pipit
10th - Iceland gull
Caspian gull
Yellow legged gull 12+
Common scoter x2
Goosander x3
Water pipit
11th - Common sandpiper
Water pipit
Dorchester - 11th - High numbers of ducks
Coot x861
Egyptian goose x2
Blewbury - 11th - Merlin x2
Barn owl
Burford - 9th - Short eared owl
11th - Grey partridge x9
Otmoor - 11th - Brambling

Thats more like it!

Gareth

Got a couple of days down in Banbury this weekend - get there fri eve - just wondering where you reconmend for a couple of hours either sat or sun aft (cant be to far a drive as will be B :) on sat night!!).

Cheers for the advice.

Got a couple of days down in Banbury this weekend - get there fri eve - just wondering where you reconmend for a couple of hours either sat or sun aft (cant be to far a drive as will be B :) on sat night!!).

Cheers for the advice.

There's a small reservoir on the edge of town i go to regularly (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...9746,-1.323595&spn=0.025219,0.05785&z=14&om=1). If you head out of town on the A361 (towards tescos), turn right at roundabout on hennef way (towards M40), at the next roundabout turn left (signed for the sailing club). There is a little car park for Spiceball park.
The reservoir itself dosn't hold anything too exciting (that ive found!). but it does have a mixed woodland to the north and the river has lots of alders along it. Normally have siskins (30+ today), bullfinchs, coal tits, golcrests. This morning i had two willow tits and seven snipe over.

Another couple of places a little way out of town are Balscote quarry (SP391425) and Edgehill woods. I go to these fairly often.
Try the BOS website - http://www.banburyornithologicalsociety.org.uk/page 6.htm
Or the BBOWT website (closest is foxholes which is quite good) - http://www.bbowt.org.uk/content.asp?did=23521
Theres lots of little places to go for a wonder, if you want anything specifically let me know and see if i know a place to go.

Hope you have a good time and let me know what you find.

Gareth

12th December

Reported yesturday:

3 Brambling and 2 Lesser Redpoll at South stoke, Withymead NR.

80 Skylark at Bury down.

Iceland, Caspian, Med gulls all in the roost at Farmoor. 6 Gooseanders and the water pipit too.

Gareth

2nd winter Caspian and adult Yelow-legged Gull at Dix this lunchtime. Iceland reported earlier but no sign. Best ducks were a pair of Pintail.

Any idea where the Jack Snipe reported in Abingdon are yet?

ATB

Robin

Last edited:
Otmoor starling roost 16/12

Took a few guys down to see the Starling roost this afternoon. Sun was shining but it was a bit brass monkeys!

Started with 46+ Snipe in the closes. Sparrowhawk flew high over. Reserve was generally quiet because of the fozen water till we got to the first screen and found a female Hen harrier hunting over the reeds. Found out its been around sinse the 29/11!! Peregrine veiwed resting on post from the second screen. Back at the first screen waiting for the starlings the Hen harrier was showing on and off and a Merlin flew through under the first gathering of starlings. The roost grew to c25,000 birds and was spectacular!

Happy days :t:

Attachments

• 16 12 07 032.jpg
    16 12 07 032.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 139
  • 16 12 07 034.jpg
    16 12 07 034.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 138
  • 16 12 07 041.jpg
    16 12 07 041.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 16 12 07 053.jpg
    16 12 07 053.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 16 12 07 069.jpg
    16 12 07 069.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Around and about

Dix pit is has attracted back the unusual gull that no one seems to be able to clinch the ID (not that i can but some must be able to!) is back at Dix pit today, over the last few days Iceland and Caspian gulls around.
Six Ruff and seven Pintail at Port meadow yesturday, two Blackwits and a Dunlin today.
Blackcap at Benson.
Little egret still at ewelme cress beds.

Gareth

Hey Gareth!!

Yeah - poor show I'm afraid!! A student who cant handle free beer!! :t: Next time definatly up for it and wont B :) as much!!!! Especially after what you saw!!

Talking of which - Driving up from London today (well Monday) and had a flock of birds fly over me on the M40 - black on top white below was all I could see at the speed limit!! Looked to small for lapwings - any idea??? Just south of your stomping ground in Banbury!! Enjoy Rochester (you see it on TV on Sunday??)!!

Bird sightings

Around and about recently:

A Barn owl at Little Whittenham on the 17th
20 Brambling and 200 Linnits at Oxford airfield on the 18th
5 Whooper swans and a Ruff at Port meadow on the 18th departed early today.
The Thayer's/Kumlien's type gull at Dix pit still.

Gareth

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back