• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon EDG series (1 Viewer)

I only trust my eyes.

Then what's the problem? In my experience having the diopter even slightly out is obvious, so if it's out you'll know.

The Zeiss mechanism works fine in my experience. On mine, the detent is perfectly zeroed, both on the scale and in reality. I wear glasses so if a diopter doesn't sit on zero then I know something wasn't zeroed at the factory right. A surprising number of bins are not zeroed, but as long as you can adjust the diopter, so what? The scales, in many cases, are probably almost meaningless. Set it where it works for you. Right now, I have one that sits on the pos side, one that sits on the neg side, and four that sit on zero. They all work just fine though.

It is odd that even the alphas can have glaring QC issues. Months ago I bought an FL "special" and the diopter was wildly off. I cranked it 100% negative and the thing was barely focused. How could that leave the factory? Of course I couldn't be 100% sure of the bins history, but it was definitely from a premier dealer.

You say, it was a manufacturing defect; rightly so. But I'm the sort of customer who trusts the manufacturing precision and outstanding quality control of a renowned brand like Zeiss. If it's not good, that's it! One strike out! If Leica can do it and Zeiss can't, on ALL their binoculars, there must be something really lacking in the quality control department. Really lacking!

Wow, that's a really intense standard! I wish I could live by the same, but it has been my unfortunate experience to have had enough experience with various manufacturers' binos to have discovered that quality control is not perfect for any of the brands. Just a few examples:

Swarovski: My 8x32 EL went out of alignment shortly after purchase. They were fixed promptly and under warranty. According to the repair note, the ocular was not properly tightened after adjustment following assembly.

Leica: My 8x42 Ultravid had a coating flaw on one of the objectives--when I breathed on the lens it revealed a human palm print recorded as a flawed application of the outermost multicoatings. Leica replaced it under warranty. When returned, the diopter window came back cracked, which reminds me that I out to send them back in for that to be fixed.

Zeiss: My 7x42 Classic were plagued by some kind of binding in the focus mechanism when used at high temperatures. Zeiss tried to fix them several times, and they might be better now, but I'm not sure I'll ever feel comfortable using them above 90 degrees F.

--AP

We all make mistakes; when I bought the Fl I had already owned a Trinovid 10x32 with a detentless and flawless diopter, so I reckoned the Zeiss would be OK in this respect. It wasn't, though, and that is not what I expected for a new, 1500 euro pair of bins.
You say, it was a manufacturing defect; rightly so. But I'm the sort of customer who trusts the manufacturing precision and outstanding quality control of a renowned brand like Zeiss. If it's not good, that's it! One strike out! If Leica can do it and Zeiss can't, on ALL their binoculars, there must be something really lacking in the quality control department. Really lacking!
I don't trust them any more.

If you have no trouble with your FL's, that's great, enjoy them.
I want to see a diopter scale that I KNOW will stay where I set it. I've owned a zillion of binoculars with wandering diopters that were easily fixed by taping it down. The trouble with the new, under-the-focus-knob diopter mechanisms, is that you can't see it - except for the Leica's. You have to trust it won't move. I don't like that.
I only trust my eyes.

B :)

Kind regards,

Ronald

Ronald,

I can understand your frustration and disappointment with the defect in your Zeiss diopter. For that price, I'd have high expectations too.

I felt the same way when I bought my first sample 8x32 LX and found the focuser was so loose I had to keep my finger rested on top of it so I wouldn't accidentally move it just from holding the bin.

I would also overshoot my targets and have to "back peddle" to achieve sharp focus.

After reading BF reviews of this bin, I thought it was the "norm" since there were other complaints about the focuser moving too fast.

Going from close focus to infinity in only 1/2 turn is not everybody's cup 'o tea.

Only later did I learn that my first sample was defective, and that while the LX focuser does turn fast, it should be smooth and precise, not loose.

So I bought a second sample and was well pleased with it. In fact, it's the best bin focuser I've ever used.

I'm afraid if you are going to have a "One Strike And Your Out" policy for bins, you could have just as easily wound up with a bad sample Leica and be putting them on your blacklist instead.

When the Ultravids first came out there were numerous complaints about the focusers being too stiff. Some had stiff focusers, some didn't.

Sample variation occurs at all price points, as you know from the zillions of bins you had with wandering diopters.

A zillion and one, apparently. Check out the new BF thread titled: Zen ED2 7x36 Dioptre problems.

However, because you got a bad sample Zeiss on the first try doesn't mean that Zeiss manufacturers inferior bins, but simply that you got a lemon.

The real failure wasn't in manufacturing a dud, this happens all the time with just about every product that isn't hand made. It's inherent to mass production.

I recently bought a can opener to replace one that lasted only about six months. The new one was a dud from the gitgo.

If you otherwise like the FL and you bought it new with a warranty (or have a transferable warranty), I suggest you send it to Zeiss for repairs.

Even if you don't have a warranty, you should call them anyway. They would much rather have a satisfied customer write on bin forums about how their problem was taken care of rather than a customer knocking their bins.

I'm sure most people would agree that Zeiss makes high quality products, I could argue that they are overpriced, but I don't doubt their quality, though from your story and others I've read about the Zeiss FL, they could improve their quality control.

The QC person who checked your sample at the factory perhaps missed this problem (but apparently so did the store salesperson who sold it to you and so did you when you first checked out the bin), or it's something that only develops over time with use.

Whichever the case, you are stuck with the problem now. So you can sell it to somebody else who might not be as bothered by it, and perhaps take a beating with the sale price since if you didn't mention the defect, it could come back to haunt you in your ratings, or send it back to get repaired and then enjoy using the bin or sell it for a nice price.

That's my tuppence.

Last edited:
Wow, that's a really intense standard! I wish I could live by the same, but it has been my unfortunate experience to have had enough experience with various manufacturers' binos to have discovered that quality control is not perfect for any of the brands. Just a few examples:

Swarovski: My 8x32 EL went out of alignment shortly after purchase. They were fixed promptly and under warranty. According to the repair note, the ocular was not properly tightened after adjustment following assembly.

Leica: My 8x42 Ultravid had a coating flaw on one of the objectives--when I breathed on the lens it revealed a human palm print recorded as a flawed application of the outermost multicoatings. Leica replaced it under warranty. When returned, the diopter window came back cracked, which reminds me that I out to send them back in for that to be fixed.

Zeiss: My 7x42 Classic were plagued by some kind of binding in the focus mechanism when used at high temperatures. Zeiss tried to fix them several times, and they might be better now, but I'm not sure I'll ever feel comfortable using them above 90 degrees F.

--AP

Alexis,

The thought behind my - indeed - intense standard is, that I really like what I've read about the EDG's lately, and that I probably can't accept personally that what may be the cutting edge of alpha binoculars would wander the same design way all others seem to be following - like a herd of sheep.
I would have much prefered the Premier XL diopter mechanism on the EDG's;
I would probably have started saving up for a 7x42 already.
You could explain my intense reaction as a feeling of disappointment that I will not own a pair of superb bins for one design uncertainty.
I will however try them out on the Dutch Bird Fair next spring! ;)

Regards,

Ronald

Ronald,

I can understand your frustration and disappointment with the defect in your Zeiss diopter. For that price, I'd have high expectations too.

I felt the same way when I bought my first sample 8x32 LX and found the focuser was so loose I had to keep my finger rested on top of it so I wouldn't accidentally move it just from holding the bin.

I would also overshoot my targets and have to "back peddle" to achieve sharp focus.

After reading BF reviews of this bin, I thought it was the "norm" since there were other complaints about the focuser moving too fast.

Going from close focus to infinity in only 1/2 turn is not everybody's cup 'o tea.

Only later did I learn that my first sample was defective, and that while the LX focuser does turn fast, it should be smooth and precise, not loose.

So I bought a second sample and was well pleased with it. In fact, it's the best bin focuser I've ever used.

I'm afraid if you are going to have a "One Strike And Your Out" policy for bins, you could have just as easily wound up with a bad sample Leica and be putting them on your blacklist instead.

When the Ultravids first came out there were numerous complaints about the focusers being too stiff. Some had stiff focusers, some didn't.

Sample variation occurs at all price points, as you know from the zillions of bins you had with wandering diopters.

A zillion and one, apparently. Check out the new BF thread titled: Zen ED2 7x36 Dioptre problems.

However, because you got a bad sample Zeiss on the first try doesn't mean that Zeiss manufacturers inferior bins, but simply that you got a lemon.

The real failure wasn't in manufacturing a dud, this happens all the time with just about every product that isn't hand made. It's inherent to mass production.

I recently bought a can opener to replace one that lasted only about six months. The new one was a dud from the gitgo.

If you otherwise like the FL and you bought it new with a warranty (or have a transferable warranty), I suggest you send it to Zeiss for repairs.

Even if you don't have a warranty, you should call them anyway. They would much rather have a satisfied customer write on bin forums about how their problem was taken care of rather than a customer knocking their bins.

I'm sure most people would agree that Zeiss makes high quality products, I could argue that they are overpriced, but I don't doubt their quality, though from your story and others I've read about the Zeiss FL, they could improve their quality control.

The QC person who checked your sample at the factory perhaps missed this problem (but apparently so did the store salesperson who sold it to you and so did you when you first checked out the bin), or it's something that only develops over time with use.

Whichever the case, you are stuck with the problem now. So you can sell it to somebody else who might not be as bothered by it, and perhaps take a beating with the sale price since if you didn't mention the defect, it could come back to haunt you in your ratings, or send it back to get repaired and then enjoy using the bin or sell it for a nice price.

That's my tuppence.

Hi Brock,

I'm not stuck with the problem, because I sold my FL's to a good friend of mine, after he became aware that I initially wanted to donate them to a Third World Bino Program of our Dutch RSPB. I do that on a regular basis even with expensive bins. The Dutch RSPB would have fixed the diopter problem before sending them off into God knows what jungle.
I explicitly explained to my friend about the drifting diopter and he didn't think it would be a problem as he wears specs or contacts. The zero position was perfect for him. So I sold him the FL's for 250 euro's.
He prefers them to his Leica 8x42 Trinovid BA's, especially so because of the short close focus.

The Optics4birding review stated the EDG's as " the new cutting edge of alpha binoculars " outperforming all others. That's what got me interested in them.
Ironically I will be saving up for a ... Zeiss 8x56 Classic, though.
Diopter in the right place, there. Wonderful optics, too.
I need a night bin for owling.

Kind regards,

Ronald

Alexis,

The thought behind my - indeed - intense standard is, that I really like what I've read about the EDG's lately, and that I probably can't accept personally that what may be the cutting edge of alpha binoculars would wander the same design way all others seem to be following - like a herd of sheep.
I would have much prefered the Premier XL diopter mechanism on the EDG's;
I would probably have started saving up for a 7x42 already.
You could explain my intense reaction as a feeling of disappointment that I will not own a pair of superb bins for one design uncertainty.
I will however try them out on the Dutch Bird Fair next spring! ;)

Regards,

Ronald

Why don't you relax, here Ronald, I own the 10x42 EDG, they do not wander,
they are a very top build optic. I can't imagine why you are getting so worked up.

No disappointments here, they compare to the finest available at any price.

Why don't you relax, here Ronald, I own the 10x42 EDG, they do not wander,
they are a very top build optic. I can't imagine why you are getting so worked up.

No disappointments here, they compare to the finest available at any price.

ND,

I'll calm down.

B :) B :) B :)

:smoke:

:t:

Hi Brock,

I'm not stuck with the problem, because I sold my FL's to a good friend of mine, after he became aware that I initially wanted to donate them to a Third World Bino Program of our Dutch RSPB. I do that on a regular basis even with expensive bins. The Dutch RSPB would have fixed the diopter problem before sending them off into God knows what jungle.
I explicitly explained to my friend about the drifting diopter and he didn't think it would be a problem as he wears specs or contacts. The zero position was perfect for him. So I sold him the FL's for 250 euro's.
He prefers them to his Leica 8x42 Trinovid BA's, especially so because of the short close focus.

The Optics4birding review stated the EDG's as " the new cutting edge of alpha binoculars " outperforming all others. That's what got me interested in them.
Ironically I will be saving up for a ... Zeiss 8x56 Classic, though.
Diopter in the right place, there. Wonderful optics, too.
I need a night bin for owling.

Kind regards,

Ronald

Yikes! He must be a very good friend. That comes to only $376!

It's good that you donate your bins.

Swift had a program a while back where if you gave them your old bins, which they fixed and donated to some charitable organization, they would give you a discount on purchasing a new Swift bin.

I used my now *SOLD* 8x50 Octarem for owling and to look at nocturnal flying squirrels, which are very interesting critters.

I could feel them "fly" by my head from the roof to the tree out front. I left peanuts on open feeder for them, which drew them out so I could watch them.

The tree died and had to be cut down, and I haven't seen them since.

Before the Zeiss, I used my Jap. made 9x63 roofs with Abbe Koenig prisms for evening and night observing.

Very bright, but they fell off the shelf one day and got knocked out of collimation. So I have to get them fixed.

They look like the Zeiss Classic and Optolyth Royal, but the view is more like the Optolyth.

Sharp at center (with a "clarity" I've rarely seen in other bins), but astigmatism at the edges.

Where do you plan to buy a 8x56 Zeiss ClassiC?

I haven't seen one of those for sale in years.

Hi Brock,

The guy who's now happy with my FL's is a good friend indeed, we go out together on a regular basis, sometimes accompanied by our wives. He was in my bird-class as a beginner some twelve years ago, we liked each other and went birding across the country. Not only did he master the craft of birding surprisingly quickly, the student now has gotten better than his tutor. I'm both proud and shamed to say this.

The Ceralin coating on the Optolyths is certainly making them bright; twenty years ago I hesitated to buy the Royal 8x56's, I didn't, and nowadays I can't find them anywhere here or I'll have to get them in Germany. I liked the ergonomics too, with a double focusing wheel, improving the balance. The Zeiss Dialyts 8x56 are still available here, I saw a pair at the Bird Fair last year and several shops stock them. Too expensive for me, right now. As a biology student I got a loaner bin and these were the 8x56 Dialyts.
Since I worked with them for 5 months on my research project on Great Tits I've always had a soft spot for them. Superb bins at dusk. Not planning to buy them in the near future, or maybe I get lucky and bounce into a secondhand pair.

Best regards,

Ronald

the student now has gotten better than his tutor. I'm both proud and shamed to say this.
.....Ronald
LOL! There is no shame in this, Ronald...eventually excelling the teacher is the greatest compliment a student can pay. (Believe me, very few ever actually pay it.....;))

LOL! There is no shame in this, Ronald...eventually excelling the teacher is the greatest compliment a student can pay. (Believe me, very few ever actually pay it.....;))

Agreed, Master Sancho. :)

My only Shinshu beef with the Zeiss 8x56 is its narrowish 50* AFOV.

If I'm going to spend a small fortune on an 8x bin, I want at least 60* AFOV/7.5* TFOV like the Zeiss 8x56 FL.

Grasshopper

Agreed, Master Sancho. :)

My only Shinshu beef with the Zeiss 8x56 is its narrowish 50* AFOV.

If I'm going to spend a small fortune on an 8x bin, I want at least 60* AFOV/7.5* TFOV like the Zeiss 8x56 FL.

Grasshopper

Plus the Dialyts are not waterproof - I forgot that! How is that possible I forgot that? :C I'll be looking for something soakable as in nitrogen-filled, and a bit cheaper, for the short term.

End of story then.

Ronald

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back