• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7D/400 f5.6: Is it my lens, my technique or my expectations? (1 Viewer)

Sean, I've had a look at a few of your shots and I don't think there is much of an issue. The Dotterel and Shrike shots are cropped heavily but have more feather detail than the Wren shot and the Redpoll I looked at https://www.flickr.com/photos/28183474@N04/10248231355/ is lovely and sharp even though it was taken at ISO1600. On the Wren shot the AF must have picked up on something else, probably a highlight on a leaf as there is plenty of detail in the nettle leafs but the Wren looks very soft. If you can get the ISO down you will find detail will really improve.

Do you shoot in RAW? It is the best way to maximise detail if you aren't already using it.

Paul

Just re-read one of your posts Sean re RAW. Even if you just open a shot with DPP that comes with all Canon DSLRs and just play with the sliders on the first tab you will better the in-camera processing for jpg but it is a little limited for adjustments. Just convert and save to jpg at the highest quality when you're done - just be careful with the sharpening, it can be overdone very quickly. I shoot in RAW and do minimal work on an image but there are people who can work wonders with a photo

Thanks Paul. The redpolls were taken before I micro-adjusted so I think I will do some test shots with the lens reset to 0 again. I'll give raw a go too - but I'll use Lightroom to adjust.

Cheers all - very helpful posts from everyone.

Sean

Hmmm just looked through them myself ,and if it was me I would definetly reset to zero ,looks like you might have mended something that wasn't broken ,p.s that 1d3 is a good buy ,bite his arm off ,

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back