• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opinions sought (2 Viewers)

Craig H

I'm considering a new scope and would like to hear others views. The contenders are Leica 82mm, Kowa 883 or the Swarovski ATX 85. I currently have a Leica APO 77 that is still good but I've been drawn into wanting a zoom and I only have the 32x eyepiece. But I love the view through the Televid. I am however slightly put off another Leica given recent (ish) bad comments regarding customer care.

Never owned a Kowa so no idea on build quality or after sales.

I've experienced the ATX briefly and it converted me from a barrel focus hater to nearly a lover, and I have experienced the Swarovski after sales so know how good that is.

So, given a choice between those three what would you choose and why?

I've had none of the three, did own a Televid 77 but would buy the Swaro 85 due to potential upgrade/downgrade(95v65vbinoviewer), barrel focussing, split in two for ease of packing and aftersales service. But I'm sure Kowa and Leica users will come up with equally valid arguments. Good luck.
Russ

... or you could try to find a zoom for your televid!? They still crop up from time to time. I have a Televid 62 and both the 32x (26x on 62) and the zoom. The 32x is awesome on the 62 so it must be absolutely superb on the 77!? The zoom is also excellent, but I'm in the middle of an extended 32x 'phase' at the moment, its just so good!

RB

Last edited:
I've had none of the three, did own a Televid 77 but would buy the Swaro 85 due to potential upgrade/downgrade(95v65vbinoviewer), barrel focussing, split in two for ease of packing and aftersales service. But I'm sure Kowa and Leica users will come up with equally valid arguments. Good luck.
Russ

We love our Kowa 883 and we tested this against the top of range Swaro. amongst others. Found it was the best of the two for us. But you really do have to try all you can to make such a decision

My choice would be Meopta's S2 82 with 20-70x zoom but they also offer a 30-60 wide angle that is nice. This is a really fine scope and don't forget Zeiss and Leica hired Meopta to make scopes for them a few years back.

Lee

For me it would be a choice between the Swarovski or the Kowa. Why?
The Swarovski for the customer care and after sales service.
The Kowa for the dual focusing.
Optics and view on both are outstanding through the eyepiece.
Leica appear to be addressing their poor service and customer care record.
Obviously you need to try them side by side if you've not already done so.
You haven't mentioned the Zeiss Harpia 95mm or 85mm. Worth a look maybe.

As others have said, try for a second hand zoom eyepiece if you want to hold onto your existing Leica APO 77mm Televid.

Hi Craig,

The contenders are Leica 82mm, Kowa 883 or the Swarovski ATX 85.

I have the Kowa 883 and think it's very good.

My girl friend bought a Leica APO Televid 65 a couple of years back, and based on her experience, I personally definitely wouldn't want to buy a Leica.

Regards,

Henning

Thanks for the input all!

I have considered buying a zoom for my 77APO but to be honest, forking out £250ish (seems to be abound the going price) for an eyepiece to stick on a scope that's probably worth £6-700 at current rates doesn't seem to have a good cost/benefit ratio. Especially as I don't believe the zoom is as good as on current models.

Pyrtle - curious to know more about Leica addressing customer care issues - do you have any more info?

A few people have mentioned the Zeiss. A couple of reasons I have discounted it. A) Price, £2750 for the Swaro is about as high as I'm prepared to go. B) Appearance/ergonomics. I don't like the looks or the ergonomics of it. It looks like a traffic cone with a can of coke stuck on the end (in my humble opinion), and whilst appearances are obviously a minor or even non consideration I'm looking for a more compact scope and the zeiss just looks and feels 'big'.

RE the Meopta scope mentioned. Anyone any ideas where to see/purchase one in the UK?

Please keep the thoughts coming.

RE the Meopta scope mentioned. Anyone any ideas where to see/purchase one in the UK?

Please keep the thoughts coming.

I think Cley Spy do Meoptas. I got mine from Germany, and strongly recommend this scope. Read Lee's review, it's spot on and I agree with everything he says. I use the 30-60x. A distinct 'rolling ball' effect if you pan at low mags but only if your eye isn't concentrating on a subject (at least that's what I find). Sharp, contrasty, bright, parfocal, wide, robust, easy-to-handle, looks great, etc. etc. I sold the SOC though because I don't like them generally. A lot cheaper than equivalent scopes by competitors but this is not a 'cheap' scope.....it's right up there with the ATX 85. Meopta have superb aftersales service (not that anything's ever gone wrong with the scope...I just lost all the lens caps and they replaced them double-quick for free).

Craig

If you live anywhere near Sheffield, we could meet and you could try out the Meopta S2 20-70x I currently have on loan from Meopta. Send me a PM to discuss if of interest.

Lee

Last edited:
I think Cley Spy do Meoptas. I got mine from Germany, and strongly recommend this scope. Read Lee's review, it's spot on and I agree with everything he says. I use the 30-60x. A distinct 'rolling ball' effect if you pan at low mags but only if your eye isn't concentrating on a subject (at least that's what I find). Sharp, contrasty, bright, parfocal, wide, robust, easy-to-handle, looks great, etc. etc. I sold the SOC though because I don't like them generally. A lot cheaper than equivalent scopes by competitors but this is not a 'cheap' scope.....it's right up there with the ATX 85. Meopta have superb aftersales service (not that anything's ever gone wrong with the scope...I just lost all the lens caps and they replaced them double-quick for free).

Thirded. I also use the 30-60x for its constant wide FoV. The only downside is the limited digiscoping options, and accessories in general, but the instrument itself is superb.

Craig

If you live anywhere near Sheffield, we could meet and you could try out the Meopta S2 20-70x I currently have on loan from Meopta. Send me a PM to discuss if of interest.

Lee

Sorry Lee. Only just revisited this post and seen this, mainly because on the day you posted it i was out buying a Swarovski ATX85. Saw a great value second hand one and couldn't resist.

Sorry Lee. Only just revisited this post and seen this, mainly because on the day you posted it i was out buying a Swarovski ATX85. Saw a great value second hand one and couldn't resist.

Hi Craig and well done with your used-buy.

The invitation still stands though if you would like to try the Meopta.

Lee

Hi Craig,

congratulations to your new scope. And if you do a comparison sometimes, we would love to read about it.

And a good start into 2019 to everybody...

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back