• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Best' composition - which do you prefer (1 Viewer)

rjb25073

Richard B - newbie birder
Hi folks,
I have quite a nice pic of a coal tit and was playing with cropping. I just wondered what people thought about how best to crop this. There are 3 attached shots the original, cropped so bird on left and cropped to bird on right.

What do you think ?

Feel free to crop differently and repost. All feedback and suggestions will be gratefully received.

cheers,
Richard

Attachments

• coal tit lhs.jpg
    coal tit lhs.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 153
  • coal tit rhs.jpg
    coal tit rhs.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 138
  • coal_tit.jpg
    coal_tit.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 145
rjb25073 said:
Hi folks,
I have quite a nice pic of a coal tit and was playing with cropping. I just wondered what people thought about how best to crop this. There are 3 attached shots the original, cropped so bird on left and cropped to bird on right.

What do you think ?

Feel free to crop differently and repost. All feedback and suggestions will be gratefully received.

cheers,
Richard

Richard, I'm no expert, but think I would go for something between 1 and 2, down to the knot on the branch were the undelying twig appears.

Marcus

Keith Reeder said:
I think I'd prefer something akin to no. 1, but with more space to the right of, and above, the bird.

I agree with Keith and also get rid of the twigs under the main branch.
Stan.

thanks guys. I prefer it to the left, perhaps because the bird is facing to the right. I've cropped it differently but need to dig out the original and see if there is anymore room. I think the original is pretty much uncropped but am at work at the moment so don't have it to hand.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Richard

Attachments

• coal_tit 2.jpg
    coal_tit 2.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 149
I don't know much about the 'art' of getting a photo right, but when I look at an image that 'feels' right ,it has usually followed the rule of thirds. Also, my gut reaction is that if the bird is facing or looking in a particular direction, it seems better if the bird is is looking into the picture rather than out of it, if you see what I mean!

personally I'd go for something more like this...

as the bird is facing right I'd like to have it even further to the left, but would rather keep closer to classic photo dimensions. Alternatively you could crop it so the shot is portrait rather than landscape, might put the bird better in the frame.

Attachments

• coaltit.jpg
    coaltit.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 125
  • coaltit1.jpg
    coaltit1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 147
A subtle change - a little further to the left and a bit more headroom.

The image looks pixelated on my monitor, is that the case with others?

Attachments

• coaltit.jpg
    coaltit.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 137
bpw's version for me. That's about where I'd place it as well. It's not easy on the eye having it any further to the left as whilst the tail isn't visible, it's nice to be able to see it's not visible. Any further to the right and it would appear to be looking out of the photo.

I'd say it's about spot on :t:

The file size is rather small which may explain the pixelation.

I personally like the branch as this adds loads of character to the picture. I also feel the upright twig to the left adds balance.

Attachments

• coal_tit1.jpg
    coal_tit1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 103
rjb25073 said:
Hi folks,

What do you think ?

cheers,
Richard

thanks everyone, it's interesting to see that there is a general consensus to putting the bird on the left but also a suggestion about making the most of the branch. I think that just about sums up my dilemma ! The branch seems quite a nice feature but I wasn't sure if it was a bit large compared to the bird.

I like BPW's and Malvin's but prefer the extra headroom of the former.

thanks again for taking the trouble to provide feeback and espeically to those who did some alternatives.

All the best,
Richard

Just thought I'd try this, not sure if it works or not.
I croped it to the same dimensions as BPW as I think this is the best so far

Attachments

• coal_tit.jpg
    coal_tit.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 123
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back