• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

goshawks (1 Viewer)

batley

hi everyone, i am new to birdforum, but i would like to say a warm wecome to everyone. i will from april 26th (2012) be posting my weekly sightings and other information regarding my target birds for this year.(each year i select specific birds-that are either rare or difficult to find etc). this year my postings will include the following; goshawks (north yorkshire moors area), which will include besides sightings, but also number of breeding pairs. (2 active nest sites already observed in the forests of north yorkshire). woodcock and nightjar. (last season i actually observed a woodcock flying with chicks sat on her back!).

batley
Your sightings will not be appreciated by all. Goshawks sites need to be kept quiet for the sake of the birds.
PLEASE refrain from putting sightings of any rare breeding birds on this and other public forum sites. Mods can you have some input on this.
Regards
Dave

Welcome to BF batley. I'm sorry that the first response to your initial post is an admonition.

Dave,

However logical it may seem to you, I don't believe that suppressing the free exchange of information among fellow birders will ultimately help any birds.

Ed

Welcome to BF batley. I'm sorry that the first response to your initial post is an admonition.

Dave,

However logical it may seem to you, I don't believe that suppressing the free exchange of information among fellow birders will ultimately help any birds.

Ed

Ed
Its not fellow birders I am worried about, surely you will be aware how easy it is for wrong doers to access and benefit from loose conversation about rare breeding birds, This information must not be put on public forums, the birds safety must not be compromised by advertising breeding sites on the net.
Dave

Interesting exchange of ideas and probably one that shows the difference between the UK, where the targetting of certain birds is still a concern, and the USA where I believe it is possible to be more open withotu that concern.

Ed
Its not fellow birders I am worried about, surely you will be aware how easy it is for wrong doers to access and benefit from loose conversation about rare breeding birds, This information must not be put on public forums, the birds safety must not be compromised by advertising breeding sites on the net.
Dave

Dave,

Is this evidence-based or merely to be accepted at face value? Actually, I think rare birds would be helped more if their locations were made public. Otherwise, how would inadvertent harm be avoided from those who are ignorant? More harm is done by accident, I would think, than by design.

Ed

Dave,

Is this evidence-based or merely to be accepted at face value? Actually, I think rare birds would be helped more if their locations were made public. Otherwise, how would inadvertent harm be avoided from those who are ignorant? More harm is done by accident, I would think, than by design.

Ed

Ed
In the UK raptors are still very vunerable to persecution, I agree that breeding site information should be made known to conservation bodies so they can protect the areas from felling etc. But it is not only conservation minded people that read these sites. Information should be passed through the correct channels, not broadcast on public forums for all to read. It is a sad fact that when areas of the UK have become 'Known' to be good for Goshawks there has been a rapid decline through illegal acts. Birders have opportunities to view rare Raptors at well known watchpoints. Lets use them, keep the others under wraps and let the birds breed in peace. Please.
Dave

Welcome to Bird Forum :t:

I have to agree that it's better to air on the side of caution for posting details of sightings on an open forum. Some birds are heavily persecuted and others are also susceptible to disturbance. I don't think posting general locations such as two Goshawks seen in North Yorkshire does any harm but we wouldn't want to see anything more specific than that.

I can't really see a problem if the location information given is as general as 'North Yorkshire Moors' etc.
Its a vast place & so long as grid references & actual location aren't given out, i don't have a problem.
Besides, the information is easily accessable elsewhere as i can go on Google get details allowing me to virtually pinpoint the breeding site if i so wish

hi everyone, i am new to birdforum, but i would like to say a warm wecome to everyone. i will from april 26th (2012) be posting my weekly sightings and other information regarding my target birds for this year.(each year i select specific birds-that are either rare or difficult to find etc). this year my postings will include the following; goshawks (north yorkshire moors area), which will include besides sightings, but also number of breeding pairs. (2 active nest sites already observed in the forests of north yorkshire). woodcock and nightjar. (last season i actually observed a woodcock flying with chicks sat on her back!).

I think this info would be better shared with your county recorders etc.

Persecution despite what has been said here is a real threat. Be careful who you disclose the info of breeding Gos to when your out and about near the nest. I presume you are licensed to visit the nests or are just viewing from afar

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back