• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spot-crowned Woodcreeper (1 Viewer)

49bentley

Canada
Can someone please confirm that this is a Spot-crowned Woodcreeper? Taken in Sarapiqui Puerto Viejo Costa Rica in january.
Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• _A0A5959.jpg
    _A0A5959.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 40
  • _A0A5961.jpg
    _A0A5961.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 37
  • _A0A5962.jpg
    _A0A5962.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 40
Spot-crowned Woodcreeper is a cloud forest species and should not occur at Sarapiqui.

I've not birded in Central America in several years now but my impression is that that is a Streak-headed Woodcreeper.

Spot-crowned Woodcreeper is a cloud forest species and should not occur at Sarapiqui.

I've not birded in Central America in several years now but my impression is that that is a Streak-headed Woodcreeper.

Well, it is spotted rather than streaked and the bill is the wrong colour, have you got the location right Chris?

Yes the location is right. We were staying at Hotel Bambo right in the center of Puerto Viejo. Picture was taken from hotel balcony facing a large forest.

What about the spotted rather than streaked head?

Not familiar with spot-crowned so observations based on web/books. pro- spot-crowned features seem to be apparent spots on crown and lack of extensive spotting/streaking down neck. On the other hand, the bill is not pale and not particularly "fine". Apart from bill, pro- streak-headed is location.

Not familiar with spot-crowned so observations based on web/books. pro- spot-crowned features seem to be apparent spots on crown and lack of extensive spotting/streaking down neck. On the other hand, the bill is not pale and not particularly "fine". Apart from bill, pro- streak-headed is location.

By the very definition, this has to be Spot-crowned?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back