• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

October Kent Countryside (1 Viewer)

Geraldine

Martian Member
Having read the 'Jays' thread with interest, as in this little corner of Kent we have comparatively few oaks or Jays, it occurred to me that a brief description of local area's flora at different times of year might be a helpful addition to the national or international record. In this way, where someone who is interested in, for example, birds and moths, is visiting an area only covered by someone interested in birds and rocks, if they knew the local flora at a specific time, they could estimate what the possibilities are for their specific fields of interest.
1st October 2003
As we drove through Kent yesterday, I was struck by the quantity of Old Man's Beard (Clematis Vitalba) covering the hedgerows this year. It is mostly now at the white fluffy seed head stage, and shows up beautifully against the dark Hawthorn bushes with their very heavy covering of dark red berries. Rowan also seems extra laden with berries this year. (Cold winter ahead?)
We don’t have much autumnal leaf-colour change yet, except in the horse-chestnut trees, which are turning rust and gold, and showing prickly ‘conker’ cases.
The sloes, wild blackberries and rose-hips and elderberries are all showing in good quantities, but I haven’t seen much evidence of cob-nuts this year yet. That may be just that I’m not in the right places! In other parts of Kent acorns appear plentiful.
Conifers (I’m sorry I don’t know varieties) seem to be doing particularly well this year, looking very lush, whereas deciduous trees are showing distress in many areas as a result of the dry summer, with leaves drooping and then falling, not doing the usual autumn changes. (I thought that conifers had comparatively shallow root systems, so why are they seemingly less affected?)
Ivy is falling in great green ‘waterfalls’ down the banks, and growing lush around trees and over walls, covered in green-ball flower heads. Stinging nettles, (but seemingly fewer than previous years?) ferns (frond and harts tongue, sorry don’t know varieties) seem quite lush and green.
Haven’t seen much Woody Nightshade this year, and no deadly Nightshade. Is it too early for these berries? I thought they were usually out by now.
Very good year for amazingly big sunflowers in gardens, now mostly at seed head stage, especially so near the coasts, also good year for Pampas Grasses.
Quite plentiful Artemisia vulgaris (mugwort?) in flower, although very tall and spindly. Dark red sorrel seeds, and St John’s wort quite plentiful.
Big white convolvulus flowers doing well, looking wonderful!
Wild Buddleia seems to be attempting to take over the world, good news for Peacock butterflies and Red Admirals, among others. Flowers mostly brown now.
Cow Parsley skeletons show heavily in all the verges, seeds mostly gone already.
Fruit trees of course, especially apples, (well, this is Kent!), and crab apples doing well.
I’ve noticed a lot of Yellow horned poppies this year too.
Kent yesterday seemed full of Lapwings and Kestrels, and Pigeons doing peregrine impressions!
And last night I noticed Fieldfares in the park. And a kingfisher was fishing on the pond, so maybe Dover Council has got the pond balanced at last!!!

Geraldine those pigeons are doing it all over the country so it seems, I used to believe it was display flight, but there was no sign of that in spring, unless they decide now on their mates for next year!
I thought we had rather a lot of "old mans beard" in Dorset, but I'm very pleased to find other counties have plenty too, You asked about the Nightshades, the hedges here have been quite full, but where they were red in strands, the farmers have been out with the hedge shredders, so now nothing is left again, also cut all the wildflowers off the bank by the postbox, so there is just earth, and the Betony flowers have been uprooted, they looked really pretty there last year.
Conifers usually have shallow hair roots near the surface but with the last few years of dry/drought summers they seem to have adapted and sent out deeper roots, but we have had several heavy dews which may be their sucess reason? Nina.

Conifers (I’m sorry I don’t know varieties) seem to be doing particularly well this year, looking very lush, whereas deciduous trees are showing distress in many areas as a result of the dry summer, with leaves drooping and then falling, not doing the usual autumn changes. (I thought that conifers had comparatively shallow root systems, so why are they seemingly less affected?)

Conifers are very variable. There's a whole range of variation, just like there is with broadleaves. Some (e.g. many spruces, silver firs)are very susceptible to drought, others (e.g. cedars, many pines, some cypresses) are very tolerant.

As for broadleaves, I'll challenge you to find a Sweet Chestnut suffering from drought!

Michael

Try Colehill first school grounds!

Drought affects the sweet chestnut by making them produce too many burrs that are unable to develop proper fruits, just thousands of prickly shells without content, and all the sweet chestnut trees locally have thousands of pincushions, but no nuts, all but those growing in irrigated gardens, Honest! Nina.
:king:

Geraldine, be a dear and check your PM site, as your folders are full and no replies can be sent back to you, and I know you are experiencing trouble with e-mail system. Nina.

Re: Try Colehill first school grounds!

Nina P said:
Drought affects the sweet chestnut by making them produce too many burrs that are unable to develop proper fruits, just thousands of prickly shells without content, and all the sweet chestnut trees locally have thousands of pincushions, but no nuts, all but those growing in irrigated gardens, Honest! Nina.
:king:

Sorry, nope, that's more related to individual genetics. The ones in irrigated gardens are likely to be cultivars selected for good nut production, the others just wild-type seedlings. I've seen mega-size nuts produced abundantly on un-irrigated trees in Greece, where they get 6-8 months or so absolute drought every summer (and far higher temperatures, too).

Michael

I was just explaining that in this county where the water table is well below par, and as there has only been a short time that summer droughts have reduced the current standing of local water tables the subsequent trees are all devoid of viable fruits, but in gardens ( recently developed) and getting at least some moisture by irrigation, there are fewer fruits and therefore producing viable contents. Nina.

Hi Steve,
HaveI done it wrong again? Thought I'd done quite well today, not got any of my clothes on inside out, remembered to get something out of the freezer for dinner tonight, didn't forget my door key when I went out.....
:h?:

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back