• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice please re sites (1 Viewer)

amelia1730

I will be visiting Leicestershire, near Melton Mowbray, in a couple of weeks and would like to do a bit of birding with hubby. Happy to travel a bit. I would say I am at an intermediate level. The obvious place I guess is Rutland, and having been there several times for the Bird Fair I keep meaning to visit "properly". Bit worried that it's a bit big for someone like me to get the most out of it. Will I end up wandering aimlessly and see very little?? Any particular areas I should take a look at? What should I look out for? I really like woodland walks - woodland birds, raptors etc rock my boat, more so than waders, so would like some advice please. Have had a brief look at the LROS web site as advised on other threads in this forum but as time is limited during our stay I wondered which sites BF members would most recommend. I have some mobility problems so trekking miles to get to a good site is probably not a good idea.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards
Amelia

Hi Amelia,

The reserve itself from Egleton Village entrance should provide you with more than enough 'entertainment' to keep you going, There is information on recent sightings to be able to give you up to date info on which areas to wander around.

Hi Amelia,

If you get in touch with the reserve at Egleton I'm sure they have a buggy to help with mobility access. There are a few Bearded Tit hanging around Shoveler Hide at the minute.

Another good area would be the Watermead Park area. Plenty of car parks and easy access to lakes/hides etc. Depends when you're coming down but if I'm around I could possibly show you round. From Melton head along the A607 towards Leicester and then on to the A46. The park is well signed with Brown tourist signs.

At Eyebrook Res you can drive round a lot of the reservoir and park and scan. A few new viewing platforms are also being built into the hedge.

For bird news and a selection of sites with maps click onto the LROS website. The Watermead Area is within the Soar Valley complex.

John

Last edited:
Thanks for the info John and Mark also. Very kind of you. Thanks for offering to show us around John. Not sure if we shall be at Rutland on Sunday 7th or Monday 8th though. My husband has got a Porsche Thrill drive (birthday gift) at a Leicestershire circuit on the Monday so we are fitting birds in around him. Have looked at the LROS site properly now so may fit in a couple of spots mentioned there, depending on time left both days. Have never seen Little Owls - I notice there are a couple of places where they are sometimes seen - so that may tempt me.

Once again thanks for info & PM

Regards
Amelia

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back