• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (24 Viewers)

Quick visit this afternoon, as Birder Gladys said, we only saw 2 young redshank chicks at one time, but tend to pop in and out of the long grass.

One (poss 2) Peregrines on the masts, 2 Green Sandpipers, 4 Black tailed Godwits, the rest as normal.

Good selection of butterflies, Large White, Small White, Green Veined White, Commas, Ringlets, Gatekeeper, Meadow Browns, Small Tortoiseshells, 4/5 Marbled Whites, Red Admiral, Large Skipper & 2/3 White Letter Hairstreaks down the Salwarpe (favouring the top of the Willow! next to their usual spot).

Richard

Last edited:
Visited The Flashes at around 8pm this evening for a quick check on the redshanks - managed to see all three chicks, though no sign of the adults. They were chased by an avocet. The avocet chicks were continuing to do well, varying sizes evident. Also saw at least one LRP. There was a curlew in the transmitter field.
The two Egyptian geese were still on the sailing pool.
I then went over to The Moors. There were at least a dozen long tailed tits in the trees at the start of the path towards Arthur's Hide. It was great to see the large family of tufted ducklings.

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Green Sand (2)-----------------------Common Sand (2)
Avocet (38)+ 25 young---------------LRP (5)
Redshank(1)+ 3 chicks---------------Lapwing (c40)
Shelduck (2) + 7 juv-----------------Teal (5)
Oystercatcher (2)--------------------Raven
Coal Tit-------------------------------Redstart (imm male)
Common Tern (1)

MOORS
Common Tern (4) + 4 juvs-----------Oystercatcher (6)
Snipe (1)------------------------------Gadwall (3) +juv
Cetti's Warbler (2)

SAILING POOL:
Kingfisher-----------------------------Egyptian Goose (2)

+ 2 W L Hairstreaks.

Des.

A photo of a female Common Blue damselfly, but what is the Crittur that snuck into my picture?

A cropped pic added:h?

Richard

Attachments

• DSCF3749.JPG
    DSCF3749.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 79
  • New_1_DSCF3749.JPG
    New_1_DSCF3749.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 102
Quiet at Flashes this evening. Not counted Avo chicks(yet) but Redshanks chicks all looking good. Oyk juv in transmitter field with adult, also 15 Curlew there. Wader passage consists if Green & 3 Common Sand...

Flashes today

started 6am
Egyptian geese 2 on sailing pool.
Flashes
Breeding :- Shoveler all 13 now flying. 7 shelduck all fully grown.
Tufted 2 broods in 3rd Flash. 7 fresh chicks and brood of 3 half grown chicks. Avocet 12 broods totalling 24. (1 chick LOST from last week's hatched brood of 4).
Redshank all 3 looking good.
Oystercatcher juv feeding in fields with both adults. BHG more broods hatching.

Migrants :- Teal 5. Green sand 3. Common sand 4. LRP 7 (incl 1 juv). Curlew 19 feeding in adjacent fields.
Common tern non breeding winter adult. A family of 2ads and a juv were probably our birds from the Moors. Swift 25.Redstart male. Also on the move was a HOUSE SPARROW along the hedgerow between cuckoo hide and last bench then flew along hedge behind the avocet hide. My first of the year 121 species
for 2016
Others:- Peregrine. raven. kingfisher. Green woodpecker. Cetti's. several reeds foraging in 3rd Flash reed bed. Skylark 2.

Last edited:
Moors today

Only birded for an hour
breeding :- Tufted duck 12 broods (min) of varying sizes. interestingly 2 female mallards have each adopted a tufted chick.
Mute swan 5 cygnets.
Common tern 1 fledged (were 2). 2 close to leaving. a 4th brood have hatched on the small southern raft. The first brood of 2 have probably left. another prospecting.

Migrants :- Teal. oystercatchers 5 dropped in. Swift 25 -35. sand martin 20.
others- little grebe 6. GCG 3.

Last edited:
don't know what you are on about Phil 8-P

You've now missed out "Tufted Duck" early in your Moors Pool post ;)

Do you think the first fledged chick from the second Common Tern brood was the juv you encountered at the Flashes?

Interestingly Tim has posted on Twitter a pic of a well developed juv Little Grebe on the Sailing Pool.

Last edited:
You've now missed out "Tufted Duck" early in your Moors Pool post ;)

Do you think the first fledged chick from the second Common Tern brood was the juv you encountered at the Flashes?

Interestingly Tim has posted on Twitter a pic of a well developed juv Little Grebe on the Sailing Pool.

I haven't been on Moors since 28th June when I had 6 chicks . Dave had 6 on 3rd July . I think the oldest 2 have probably moved off and just one remains from the 2nd fledged brood that was on the Flashes before returning to the Moors ( hard to be certain with no one on Moors this morning when I saw them at Flashes. Another 2 are due to fledge anytime now. The juvs don't usually leave until 40 days old (normally). I suppose peregrine and sparrowhawk could have taken some.

Yes noticed that could well be off Broadmeadow. Did have a very well developed little grebe on flashes 28th June.

started 6am
Flashes
Tufted 2 broods in 3rd Flash. 7 fresh chicks and brood of 3 half grown chicks. Avocet 12 broods totalling 24. (1 chick LOST from last week's hatched brood of 4).

Migrants :- Teal 5. Green sand 3. Common sand 4. LRP 7 (incl 1 juv). Curlew 19 feeding in adjacent fields.
Common tern non breeding winter adult. A family of 2ads and a juv were probably our birds from the Moors. Swift 25.Redstart male. Also on the move was a HOUSE SPARROW along the hedgerow between cuckoo hide and last bench then flew along hedge behind the avocet hide. My first of the year 121 species
for 2016
Others:- Peregrine. raven. kingfisher. Green woodpecker. Cetti's. several reeds foraging in 3rd Flash reed bed. Skylark 2.

Phil Wood and I also saw a juvenile Redstart in the field behind the Avocet hide at about midday.

started 6am
Flashes

for 2016

150 plus lapwing spread between transmitter field and the far meadow. Interestingly enough the curlew and lapwing flew right up to the A38 end of the field when I left, don't know whether they came back after I went. Large flock of canadas too on sailing pool behind island.i took a pic of 67 and there were more.

This morning Dave J reports at the Flashes:

37 Avocet (+ 24 young), 1 Redshank (+ 3 young), 2 Oystercatcher (+ 1 fledged young), 6 Curlew, 6 LR Plover, 2 Common Sandpipers, 2 Green Sandpipers, male Redstart, juv Shelduck, 6 juv Shoveler, single Tufted brood, 3 Teal, Gadwall, Great Crested Grebe.

2 Egyptian Geese on Sailing Pool.

At the Moors Pool Dave reports:

5 Avocet briefly, 8 Common Tern (+ 6 young - 2:2:1:1), 1 Gadwall (+ 1 young), Mute Swan (+ 5 young), 15 Tufted broods

just a few pics from the weekend,highlights Flashes tonight 7 LRP 3 common sand, 2 green sand ,11 curlew,others redshank, Avocet,lapwing.Yesterday little grebe juv with a adult on the sailing pool.

Attachments

• IMG_3546 (2).JPG
    IMG_3546 (2).JPG
    300.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_3553.JPG
    IMG_3553.JPG
    598.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3557 (2).JPG
    IMG_3557 (2).JPG
    352.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3564.JPG
    IMG_3564.JPG