• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scary type of scam call (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I've answered my phone this morning .... "BT" saying they're going to disconnect my computer from the internet!!!

He says (very strong Indian accent) I've been downloading viruses... at least I think that's what he said!

He wanted me to switch my computer on; so I told him to wait while I got it out. I left the phone on the side and waited.

Ten minutes later, he finally cut the call!

My internet is still working B :)

LOL yeah.... wish I'd picked up the phone after about 5 mins to tell him the computer was taking an awful long time to boot up.;)

That would've kept his line clogged up for a bit longer, wouldn't it.

I usually start singing to them. It's surprising how quickly they decide to bother someone else!

Delia: I knew someone that whenever he got a nuisance call he would say something like, 'I am sooo glad you phoned, I haven't spoken to anyone in four days and it gets lonely not having anyone to talk to'.....etc etc. You can imagine this tactic quickly put an end to the call.

LOL both Mary and Joan.

Giving me some ideas for the future!!

Last time I got one of these calls, I faked a heart attack. After my final collapse (simulated by knocking a stack of books off the table and a last shuddering breath), there were 4 or 5 "sirs-are-you-still-there" followed by 10 seconds of silence and then disconnection. Don't know if it fooled the little crook but it wasted a good 10 minutes of his time and was sure a lot of fun for me. . ..

Great tactics,

I get e-mails regularly telling me that my internet, bank account or some other utility is about to be disconnected and can I 'verify my bank details'.

If they got in to my bank account they'd probably take pity and deposit a tenner (£10)!

Andy

I told one to piss off and hung up. He rang straight back to tell me how rude I was...

Good one, Steve. My favourite (printable) one was receiving a phone call from someone with an English accent who wanted to sell me something, and I said that I was fed up with zombies ringing up and bothering me. He said, "I can assure you, Sir, that I'm not a zombie!"

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back