• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern or Western Willet please - Trinidad (1 Viewer)

Ravenwing

I saw my first ever Willet in Trinidad last month. I assume it is an Eastern Willet but can someone confirm this please ? Thanks

Attachments

• Willet 1.jpg
    Willet 1.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 16
I'm not sure it's even possible on a regular and reliable basis?

http://www.oceanwanderers.com/ONWillet.html

' Dennis Paulson writes: I guess it wouldn't be appropriate for me to transmit the (fairly brief) text on Willet subspecies in my new shorebird book until it's published by Princeton University Press, but I'll say that I've looked hard at the subspecies of Willets for a decade and a half. I had studied lots of them in several museums with large series when doing my 1993 book, and, while doing the new shorebird book, I examined recently collected and beautifully prepared series in the Burke Museum. I can only say they still leave me very puzzled. There are some great average differences, as everyone knows, but it is fairly common to find a specimen from the breeding grounds that could never be distinguished from its counterparts at the other end of the country - and this includes all the "classic" marks mentioned by Richard Chandler.'

Your bird does look pale and has fairly unbarred flanks FWIW but I don't think they'll be getting split anytime soon?

A

Last edited:
Thanks, very informative.
I'm not sure it's even possible on a regular and reliable basis?

http://www.oceanwanderers.com/ONWillet.html

' Dennis Paulson writes: I guess it wouldn't be appropriate for me to transmit the (fairly brief) text on Willet subspecies in my new shorebird book until it's published by Princeton University Press, but I'll say that I've looked hard at the subspecies of Willets for a decade and a half. I had studied lots of them in several museums with large series when doing my 1993 book, and, while doing the new shorebird book, I examined recently collected and beautifully prepared series in the Burke Museum. I can only say they still leave me very puzzled. There are some great average differences, as everyone knows, but it is fairly common to find a specimen from the breeding grounds that could never be distinguished from its counterparts at the other end of the country - and this includes all the "classic" marks mentioned by Richard Chandler.'

Your bird does look pale and has fairly unbarred flanks FWIW but I don't think they'll be getting split anytime soon?

A

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back