• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western or Semi-palmated Sandpiper, Trinidad (1 Viewer)

Ravenwing

I'm struggling to decide if this is a Western Sandpiper or a Semi-palmated Sandpiper. Comments and logic appreciated, Thanks

Attachments

• Sandpiper.jpg
    Sandpiper.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 129
I mostly want to bump this back up in hope that someone else will offer an opinion. I do not know what the frequency of either species is in Trinidad, but I think the bill shape looks a bit better for Semipalmated Sandpiper.

Semi P for me, as mentioned bill shape (ie, shorter and less curved than Western, it also shows the doubtfully-helpful "blobby tip") but also shorter legs than WS. Also, WS can look large-headed at times. And when u throw in distribution.. Now where are those (semi-) palmations..? :)

It is a semipalmated sandpiper. The bill is too short and stout for typical western. The positioning of the legs is pretty suggestive of semi as well, it is very subtle but western sandpipers legs are positioned a bit rear of the center of gravity whereas semi are positioned in the center. Some postures are easier to tell than others but structurally they are different. You can’t really tell the leg thing a lot of the time but it’s more of a giss thing to me. This bird is evenly proportioned, has a short bill and relatively short legs. I would bet money on semi. If you google search images of westerns and look at lots of photos, you will see some evidence to the leg positioning that I’m talking about. You won’t find rear positioned legs on semis. consistency of this characteristic is hidden in various postures, it’s a real thing though and it is structural.

Thanks, that is a great detailed explanation. I had not heard about the leg positioning but I see what you mean. Our local guide said Western. My first thought was Semi-palmated but I didn't want to go against him.

It is a semipalmated sandpiper. The bill is too short and stout for typical western. The positioning of the legs is pretty suggestive of semi as well, it is very subtle but western sandpipers legs are positioned a bit rear of the center of gravity whereas semi are positioned in the center. Some postures are easier to tell than others but structurally they are different. You can’t really tell the leg thing a lot of the time but it’s more of a giss thing to me. This bird is evenly proportioned, has a short bill and relatively short legs. I would bet money on semi. If you google search images of westerns and look at lots of photos, you will see some evidence to the leg positioning that I’m talking about. You won’t find rear positioned legs on semis. consistency of this characteristic is hidden in various postures, it’s a real thing though and it is structural.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back