• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leicestershire and Rutland Birding/Local Patches (1 Viewer)

Ruddy Shelduck on LIII from Shoveler hide this morning (but no sign of the RN Phal). Does anyone who watches Rutland regularly know if this is a resident bird? It seems a little early to be from one of the European feral populations to me.

Cheers

Mike

There are two regular Ruddy Shelducks as well as a couple of look-alike hybrids that keep coming and going.
Last summer three more Ruddys arrived, moulted and cleared off again.

Steve

I'm obviously not not wanting anyone to mention sites but:- has Nightjar been heard/seen in the county this year? Also, was a Red-backed Shrike photographed in the county this week?

Heard an unconfirmed report of a Nightjar around a month a or so ago, An apparently a Red-backed shrike was photographed but no more information seems to be forth coming!

Happy birding

Karpman

I'm obviously not not wanting anyone to mention sites but:- has Nightjar been heard/seen in the county this year? Also, was a Red-backed Shrike photographed in the county this week?

Hi Neil, checked the usual site for Nightjars at the early part of this month but no sign or sound.
Spoke to a source yesterday and he/she said that a male Red backed Shrike was photographed last saturday from a birder I think from Notts who is also on birdforum!
Hope this helps?
Cheers,
Dave ;)
http://davidearlgray.blogspot.com/

Hi Neil, checked the usual site for Nightjars at the early part of this month but no sign or sound.
Spoke to a source yesterday and he/she said that a male Red backed Shrike was photographed last saturday from a birder I think from Notts who is also on birdforum!
Hope this helps?
Cheers,
Dave ;)
thanks Dave. Looks like your Orchid season is going well, keep up the good work.
cheers
Neil

Whilst doing my weekly shop at Morrison's in Leicester City Centre I saw a Red Kite fly over the site and then slowly drifted south-east over Victoria Park!
This is probably the first time I have seen Red Kite over Leicester City Centre!!

Whilst doing my weekly shop at Morrison's in Leicester City Centre I saw a Red Kite fly over the site and then slowly drifted south-east over Victoria Park!
This is probably the first time I have seen Red Kite over Leicester City Centre!!

I live 4 miles from Leicester - the nearest I've seen a red kite is on the way back from a birding visit to Titchwell, it was near Peterborough. It was an organised coach trip, very early start, we were dozing but the cry from a fellow passenger of "RED KITE" soon woke us up!

Great sighting, David

Tina

Nice one mate!

Been a Kite for some days over the Market bosworth area too, Regular over shenton and surrounding area too it seems.

Karpman

The Red-backed Shrike was photographed at a site near Coalville on June 21st: it was mentioned on the LROS website a couple of days later without naming the site. I now know the location and have checked that the bird is not summering. It was a BF member from Oxfordshire who was the lucky observer.

As for Nightjar the only report I have had this year was from a non-birder who reported one flying over his house in near Loughborough on June 20th: he declined to make it an official record but said it was just like the Red-necked Nightjars he sees regularly in Spain.

Steve

Dave ;)

Whoever Dave's source is may have more information by the sound of it - the record I have is for a Monday. Or maybe things have just got confused along the line somewhere.

Can I use this as a reminder to please keep me, as county recorder, informed of things? The original observer did just that. On the other hand I recently learnt third hand that somebody had announced Little Egret as a new breeding species for the county: I had no idea what to say when contacted about it as nobody has thought to mention anything to me. I have no idea whether the claim is correct or not.

Steve

Whoever Dave's source is may have more information by the sound of it - the record I have is for a Monday. Or maybe things have just got confused along the line somewhere.

Can I use this as a reminder to please keep me, as county recorder, informed of things? The original observer did just that. On the other hand I recently learnt third hand that somebody had announced Little Egret as a new breeding species for the county: I had no idea what to say when contacted about it as nobody has thought to mention anything to me. I have no idea whether the claim is correct or not.

Hi Steve, I contacted the birder via birdforum about the RB Shrike and don't know anything about the Little Egrets!
Maybe Chinese whispers?
Cheers,
Dave.

Hi all, Checked out the Soar Valley sites yesterday and saw at least 2 Dunlin,2 Little Egrets,5 Green Sandpipers,6 Common Sandpipers,4 Oystercatchers and 30+ Common Terns down at Cossington Meadows LRWT.
Cheers,
Dave.

Grasshopper Warblers

In the last couple of weeks I've noticed an interesting phenomenon in the County, at least 3 Grasshopper Warblers have turned up in apparently new locations singing like it's the end of April (Fosse Meadows, Kelham and now Wigston sewerage works).

We ringed one at Wigston on Thursday about 7 AM. It promptly moved 50 meters away and then sang constantly for the rest of the morning. I take my dog down there most days so I know it's definitely a 'new' bird. It was still there this morning singing away and showing well out in the open, perched most of the time on a favoured hogweed stem. The stem is acutely angled and evidently rather awkward to get a good stance so the solution it seems to have found to hold itself upright whilst singing is to stand on one leg at a time. When it was facing towards the main track it stood on its right leg but when it turned 180 degrees it switched to its left. With birds the closer you look the more you see.

A Single Common Sandpiper still at Brascote pits, Had a reeling Grasshopper warbler at the Sence valley yesterday also too.

karpman

Cattle Egrets: Can anyone help?

Hi, I'm on my way to Norfolk in a week and was thinking of popping in to Eyebrook to look for Cattle Egret. Can anyone suggest a favoured spot for them? Thanks. Andy

The bird was at the inflow end of the Reservoir yesterday afternoon and has been reported in the same area this morning.
If you look at a map of the reservoir, the inflow end is the opposite end to the dam.
It was with at least five Little Egrets yesterday afternoon!
Hope this helps?
Cheers,
Dave.

Anymore news on if this bird is still hanging around? Cannot get away till 5 am tomorrow.

Any thing would be much appreciated:)

Karpman

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back