• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leicestershire and Rutland Birding/Local Patches (1 Viewer)

Just passing through to visit some long-lost British relatives without so much as a pair of binoculars, but we did find time for a walk through Bradgate park (no time to stop at Groby Pool), thanks to the nice people who gave us the 40 p we were short of for the carpark (otherwise it would have been back to Groby Poool, where the carpark appeared to have been free). Anyway, for what it's worth, 1/11/2008 coughed up a few stonechats, a raven, a lesser-spotted woodpecker, a little owl, various migrating and/or local thrushes and finches and lots of galliformes we hardly ever see in Switzerland, but which don't seem to be particularly newsworthy in Leicestershire. However, our lasting impression will be one of an interesting biotope totally overrun by dogwalkers and joggers.

Last edited:
Just passing through to visit some long-lost British relatives without so much as a pair of binoculars, but we did find time for a walk through Bradgate park (no time to stop at Groby Pool), thanks to the nice people who gave us the 40 p we were short of for the carpark (otehrwise it would have been back to Groby Poool, where the carpark appeared to have been free). Anyway, what it's worth, 1/11/2008 coughed up a few stonechats, a raven, a lesser-spotted woodpecker, a little owl, various migrating and/or local thrushes and finches and lots of galliformes we hardly ever see in Switzerland, but which don't seem to be particularly newsworthy in Leicestershire. However, our lasting impression will be one of an interesting biotope totally overrun by dogwalkers and joggers.

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker is always a good bird to catch up with in the county.

Bradgate Park is a very popular place, especially at the weekends - the size of the car park would have pre-warned you of this! It belongs to the 'people of the city and county of Leicester' and they make full use of it - however, the farther you venture from the car park, the easier it gets to find a more quiet location.

Someone just rang me to report a male Lesser Spotted Woodpecker by the Bradgate Park ruins so that makes two reports in recent days.

Steve

Nothing too exciting seems to have been reported recently (nothing new there, then!). According to the LROS news page, a Waxwing was noted at Bottesford last Friday but without any further details - who's going to find the first obliging birds?

Bramblings seem to have been reported as much from gardens as their more regular spots - is there a poor Beech crop this year?

Red-necked Grebe still at Swithland Res this morning but now on the southern section.
Thanks to Ben Croxtall for the info.

Steve

Things are looking up at last....

All today:
GNDiver refound at Rutland Water, off Normanton
7 Whooper Swans east over RW dam
15 and later 17 White-fronts at Eyebrook Res
Merlin at Cossington Meadows
Red-necked Grebe still at Swithland Res south
And best of all - pity I was not there - 2 Tundra Bean Geese at RW this afternoon.

Thanks to Andy Brett and Tim Appleton for some of the info.

Steve

...According to the LROS news page, a Waxwing was noted at Bottesford last Friday but without any further details - who's going to find the first obliging birds..?

Half a dozen reported from a garden in Billesdon this morning but only briefly, so we'll probably have to wait for later in the winter for some posing birds

'Bird' of the day for me today was a Dragonfly :eek!:

Two, actually - a male and female Common Darter at Fosse Meadows. They were finding smaller insects to feed on in front of the hide which was giving them shelter from the wind.

Attachments

• common-darter-nov-22-2008-4.jpg
    common-darter-nov-22-2008-4.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 71
Bird of the day for me was actually a bird.......

A very confiding Snow Bunting by the summit of Beacon Hill. Someone later rang me to say they could not find it but then hung up when they realised it was at their feet.

Also in the area at least 11 (there were 19 yesterday) White-fronted Geese amongst a county record 710 Greylags on Swithland Res, plus the long-staying Red-necked Grebe.

Steve

The Little Egret reported yesterday at Fosse Meadows (flying towards Frolesworth Manor Lake) was still around the Manor Lake this morning, either at the lakeside or in nearby fields.

Half a dozen or so of both Siskins and Lesser Redpolls at Fosse Meadows in Alders and Birches near to the River Soar.

Attachments

• little-egret-dec-6-2008-4.jpg
    little-egret-dec-6-2008-4.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 76
The Little Egret was reported on Birdguides as being on the main pool at Fosse Meadows again this morning, or commuting between there and Frowlesworth Lake (sic) - presumably, they mean Frolesworth Manor Lake. Also a Waxwing in a holly tree in a front garden in Sapcote.

I was almost going to add: 'what mad fool would have been out on a morning like today to find these birds' except that I went and stood in the rain for 3/4 hour waiting to photograph a steam train on my local line :eek!:

Last edited:
Albert Village Lake

Not a site that many people look at except when something odd (Manx Shearwater, BTDiver) turns up but the presence of a new tip just across the road makes it ideal for daytime gull watching.
Two hours last week turned up an adult Iceland and a Yellow-legged, and this aft I had a classic adult Caspian. Plus 800 other large gulls to sift through.
The lake has a gravel track all round and several seats. Just about as easy as it gets, as the gulls are not bothered by people or dogs.

Steve

Reports of Waxwings are slowly trickling in with two each at Barrow on Soar and Thringstone today. We had a look around Sapcote yesterday after the one was reported on Saturday but we couldn't re-locate it - not sure how many peoples' front gardens you can check out at about 9 o'clock on a Sunday morning before you start arousing suspicions!

The Little Egret was still at Fosse Meadows, though (http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/226035/ppuser/1805) and a Jack Snipe was with five Common Snipe in the boggy area of West Meadow.

A dozen or so Waxwings reported in Leicester, yesterday and today, in the Castle Park - High Street area and three still in Barrow on Soar

The Leics Waxwing total is up to around 46 birds now.

11 in Barrow-upon-Soar yesterday but only six reported so far today.
12 regularly in the High Street area of Leicester, with groups of 8 and 5 elsewhere in the city.

None in Loughborough yet though - maybe I should go for a walk.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back