• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (3 Viewers)

Any idea of the day list YY - must be quite impressive

It would be in the region of Seventy but there where several birds I'm not sure if they where seen today Kestrel, Nuthatch, treecreeper, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Linnet, Willow Tit also not sure about Goosander, Shoveler and Cormorant and there's the reported birds Eighty could have been achieved today

Last edited:
It would be in the region of Seventy but there where several birds I'm not sure if they where seen today Kestrel, Nuthatch, treecreeper, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Linnet, Willow Tit also not sure about Goosander, Shoveler and Cormorant and there's the reported birds Eighty could have been acheved today

I certainly had great spot and nuthatch. Also think I had linnet very high over but not 100%. Wigeon on Ice House.

Hi all, an amazing day in the valley today, certainly my best ever, started at swan pool where 2 common terns appeared around 8.30 am, soon after another tern appeared which turned out to be an arctic, this was attacked by the commons and flew out towards the motorway, then onto forge mill where a male whinchat was found in the paddocks along the river under the bridge from the north end of forge mill lake, then back to swan pool paddocks where a pair of ring ouzels and a male wheatear appeared, then round priory woods / ice house pools where a male wigeon was present, then back down to the working farm along forge mill lane where I saw another male ring ouzel which I was told about earlier by another birder. Back in the forge mill paddocks the whinchat had disappeared but while looking through the various flying buzzards in this area another bird caught my eye as it drifted low through, a cracking female marsh harrier, my first for the site. A full list of my sightings for the day to follow, thanks simon edwards

1 Mute Swan, 2 Canada Goose, 3 Mallard, 4 Gadwall, 5 Shoveler (3M 1F Forge mill early am), 6 Wigeon, 7 Teal (3 Pair Forge mill), 8 Pochard, 9 Tufted, 10 Goosander (Pair Forge mill early am), 11 GC Grebe, 12 Little Grebe, 13 Cormorant, 14 Grey Heron, 15 Marsh Harrier (Female, through paddocks N of Forge mill along river), 16 Buzzard, 17 Sparrowhawk, 18 Kestrel, 19 Peregrine (Pair Forge mill), 20 Coot, 21 Moorhen, 22 Oystercatcher, 23 Lapwing, 24 LR Plover, 25 Common Sandpiper, 26 BH Gull, 27 LBB Gull, 28 Herring Gull, 29 Yellow Legged Gull (1st year then later an adult Forge mill lake), 30 Common Tern, 31 Arctic Tern (Swan Pool), 32 Woodpigeon, 33 Stock Dove, 34 Collared Dove, 35 Kingfisher, 36 Green Woody, 37 GS Woody, 38 Skylark, 39 Swallow, 40 Sand Martin, 41 House Martin, 42 Pied Wag, 43 Grey Wag, 44 Dunnock, 45 Robin, 46 Wheatear, 47 Whinchat (Male paddocks along river N of Forge mill), 48 Song Thrush, 49 Mistle Thrush, 50 Blackbird, 51 Ring Ouzel (Pair Swan pool paddocks, Male Forge mill lane farm), 52 Blackcap, 53 Garden Warbler (RSPB Res), 54 Whitethroat (5+), 55 Sedge Warb (1 Marsh), 56 Reed Warb (5+ Forge mill / Marsh), 57 Willow Warbler, 58 Chiffchaff, 59 Goldcrest, 60 Wren, 61 Great Tit, 62 Blue Tit, 63 LT Tit, 64 Willow Tit (Pair around Marsh area), 65 Nuthatch, 66 Magpie, 67 Jay, 68 Jackdaw, 69 Rook, 70 Carrion Crow, 71 Starling, 72 House Sparrow, 73 Chaffinch, 74 Linnet, 75 Goldfinch, 76 Greenfinch, 77 Bullfinch, 78 Reed Bunting, 79 Ring Necked Parakeet (4+ along railway line area, nest hole found), Cheers simon, and I didn't see redstart or green sand seen by others so over 80 for the day in the valley, awesome

You certainly will yamyam, I have turned the valley into my regular patch, and its already turning up the goodies, eg I have already seen the mergs, knot, garganeys and found the scoters and marsh harrier etc, that's not bad for an urban patch in the west mids county, cheers simon, heres hoping for the real biggy next

Hi all, an amazing day in the valley today, certainly my best ever, started at swan pool where 2 common terns appeared around 8.30 am, soon after another tern appeared which turned out to be an arctic, this was attacked by the commons and flew out towards the motorway, then onto forge mill where a male whinchat was found in the paddocks along the river under the bridge from the north end of forge mill lake, then back to swan pool paddocks where a pair of ring ouzels and a male wheatear appeared, then round priory woods / ice house pools where a male wigeon was present, then back down to the working farm along forge mill lane where I saw another male ring ouzel which I was told about earlier by another birder. Back in the forge mill paddocks the whinchat had disappeared but while looking through the various flying buzzards in this area another bird caught my eye as it drifted low through, a cracking female marsh harrier, my first for the site. A full list of my sightings for the day to follow, thanks simon edwards

That's why I didn't see the marsh harrier. I was in the paddocks by Swan Pool while it flew over the fields right behind my house! Damn it!

That's why I didn't see the marsh harrier. I was in the paddocks by Swan Pool while it flew over the fields right behind my house! Damn it!

At the time the Harrier flew over I was on the RSPB looking for the Grasshopper Warbler
Good Birding YAMYAM

You certainly will yamyam, I have turned the valley into my regular patch, and its already turning up the goodies, eg I have already seen the mergs, knot, garganeys and found the scoters and marsh harrier etc, that's not bad for an urban patch in the west mids county, cheers simon, heres hoping for the real biggy next

Are you going to be around next Saturday 25th to contribute to our all-dayer effort?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back