• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Withymoor - Amblecote, Stourbridge..... (1 Viewer)

Viewed from Brake Lane at 3.40pm a Red Kite being mobbed by Crows as it headed towards Hagley/ Blakedown. A singing Skylark, Corn Bunting, Robin and Dunnock plus a very mobile flock of 30+ Meadow Pipits were good to see and hear , Buzzards sighted as per usual several times throughout my walk.

You should have gone today Laurie!;)

Last edited:
Nice that you clicked with Corn Bunting, i've been looking and listening around the wires on the top but nothing as yet.....

I did click with the Red Kite:eek!: and texted Paul at the same time.....so there!;) I reported it later on to Brian and said ca1600 - i'm glad that somebody else saw it as well. I picked it up whilst lighting a cigar in my periperal, the crows were giving it some stick but it did'nt seem to bother it. It was a way off and the plumage seemed 'mottled' so poss a sub-adult?

Early morning mist (as expected) as i type but it should burn off and perhaps nicer, sunnier, conditions earlier on tda?

No change @ Withymoor, Chiffchaff still singing on the embankment.

A good mix of larger Gulls down at MSPark en-route ystda with 8 LBB's of various ages and 4 Herring Gulls, 3 ad and 1fw-type.

Apart from the Kite it was quiet over the fields, pleasant enuff puffing away and listing to Skylarks with Yellow Bunting and Linnets calling. Hopefully things will pick up - even around here;)

Had a planned trip down to Stretch County @ Grimmers but my driver has broken a bone in his hand - how selfish and inconsiderate at the start of the Spring migration season!

Laurie:t:

High pressure for the next few days, scattered Red Kite records in the Midlands:eek!: It's not all listening for warblers and looking @ fields - eyes to the skies for Ospreys and possible Honey Buzzard?

Attached is a pic from Dunkerque of both for comparison, not always as distinct but subtle differences usually discernable.....

Attachments

• HoneyBuzzard7DunkirkJune13.jpg
    HoneyBuzzard7DunkirkJune13.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 191
A very pleasant afternoon avec Brompton taking the pulse of the area, not quite flat-lining but the patient needs an adrenalin jab!

Started @ the Golden Puddle where the resident Mute Swans can't seem to make up their mind which 'mound' to keep warm. The male is proving amusingly aggressive at chasing everything away, a sure sign that the sap is rising. 3 adult LBB's and a 2summer bird, Grey Heron and Wagtail present, a feeding but not singing Chiffchaff on the embankment and my first Sand Martin of the year dropped in for, literally, a minute before departing.....

Plenty of Buzzards calling, displaying and soaring - all over the place. Not surprised, a good day for them. My first local, local, Swallows with a pair on the wires at the Horse Farm opposite Bunkers Wood and on to Turbine Cottage. The fields adjacent have proved good for migrant Wheatears in the past but not ystda, Yellow Wagtail probably bred in the cornfields there last year so it will be checked frequently. Up over the Fairy Glen and more paddocks with only a Chiffchaff and some pigs for company:C Down past the Stourbridge Tennis Club and another Chiffchaff in song.

Finished at the West Hagley Fields with only another Chiffchaff, several Skylarks with both Linnets and Yellowhammers in bits of hedge.

I find a lot of the countryside covered ystda boring and unproductive - yes it is Green but not pleasant imo. There is just nothing to see it's all nice and clipped, trimmed, sprayed but devoid of anything of interest for most of the year i'm afraid. Oh and i think we have paid for all that!

Craig Reed is posting some nice stuff from Spain which means there is a gap in the bird-finding niche that he has carved out for himself so there is no excuse;).....Off you go, it's all yours!

Attached - Yellow Bunting and Gloucester Old Spot which i named Carolyn;)

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_725 Apr. 07 08.30.jpg
    ScreenHunter_725 Apr. 07 08.30.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 174
  • ScreenHunter_726 Apr. 07 08.31.jpg
    ScreenHunter_726 Apr. 07 08.31.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 171
Hi Laurie,

I ambled down to Turbine Cottage yesterday afternoon in the hope of seeing a Wheatear or two and hopefully a returning Yellow Wagtail, still plenty of time. Buzzards as you say were plentiful it was such a warm sunny day, they were viewed from home and around Whittington.

I would love to have caught sight of the Osprey that was over Sugar Loaf earlier in the day!

Great minds etc;)

Did'nt hear about the Osprey:eek!: I spent more time searching the sky than looking at anywhere else ystda but the sky is a big place - i only caught the Red Kite the day before due to Corvid activity, had it been on its own low and flapping across the field i might not have noticed.....

The sun is starting to burn off the early morning mist and i have decided (after chores) to pay the seasons first visit to the migration 'notspot' of Ridge Hill in Wordsley (behind the Church). Any larger stuff might start moving with the rising thermals and could concievably pass that way - i will give it a couple of hours from 11 onwards with a cigar for company.....watch this space;)

High pressure settling in, until Friday at least with winds picking up slightly and dropping a few degrees over the weekend:C

Stilll, for those not gainfully employed (this week) what's not to like? I just wish i had a more productive area to work but c'est la vie.....

Spent a pleasant couple of hours or so ystda up a the high point of Ridge Hill, Wordsley. The cemetery contains the grave of Carl Bridgewater for those of a certain age. Apart from the obvious singing migrants all other movement was of a local nature and not vis-mig. The heat-haze was also considerable but that was to be expected.

Buzzard x3, Jay, Green Woodpecker, Stock Dove x2, Chiffchaff x5, Blackcap x1. No Hirundines or other raptors noted.

Ridge Hill offers excellent 360degree views of the surrounding Black Country with Kinver (South Staffs) and Clent (North Worcs) on the periphery. Whilst looking at landscape features to the South West i realised that a small section of fields and hedges in the distance was actually the ones that i work at West Hagley. The attached photo doesn't do it justice but it does give some idea at what height the fields are when viewed from the same contour of Ridge Hill.

Attached - local Buzzards and West Hagley Vegas...

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_728 Apr. 08 09.33.jpg
    ScreenHunter_728 Apr. 08 09.33.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 173
  • WHF-from-Ridge-Hill.jpg
    WHF-from-Ridge-Hill.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 179
Hope you had some suncream on whilst up high on that ridge! Sorry to see it was not more productive for you Laurie!

At least it beat shopping at Merry hell!:-C

The highlight of my day was this pair who for the past few Springs have dropped in to my garden, potter around and then off they go, no doubt to their usual nesting sight wherever that may be. They be creatures of habit!:-O

Attachments

• P1230376.JPG
    P1230376.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 179
  • P1230377.JPG
    P1230377.JPG
    270 KB · Views: 162
  • P1230383.JPG
    P1230383.JPG
    249.7 KB · Views: 170
3 hours mooching about ystda aftnn, i'm just getting over a streaming cold which makes viewing in-between sneezing a chore...

Withymoor - several Adult LBB's present, 3 Tufties (1m2f) and the arrival of an adult Little Grebe:eek!: This is about the time 1 or 2 birds are recorded for a few days but having been graced by a pair over the Winter this bird is not the first record of the year. 1 singing, poss 2, Chiffchaff on the Embankment. The pair of Swans seemed to have moved back to the original nest having turfed a feeding Grey Heron off!

Mary Stevens Park held several LBB's of 3 age types.

A visit to the West Hagley Fields seemed the obvious next step, it's at least a quiet place to have a cigar if nothing else. Skylark, YellowHammer and Linnet all singing but no Wheatear or White Wagtail or even any transient Mipits:C There was, however, a nice Corn Bunting sitting in the hedge that runs alongside the sandy track. This is the first individual i have seen since last Summer so it's nice to see the species retaining a toe-hold. I wonder if there are any other sites in the West Midlands county that holds Corn Bunting? Somebody will be able to tell me;)

Surprise of the day were 3 late Fieldsfares chuckling away in an Oak in the middle of one of the fields. The tiny settling pool in the water works held a pair of Mallard.

Attached is a picture of a 'migrant' Blackcap from Gibraltar, i can't say i have noticed any plumage differences in birds i see either here or in that area but what do i know?

Attachments

• BC2.jpg
    BC2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 167
Blackcap and Willow Warbler singing in Bunkers Hill Wood (early morning ) and 4 Wheatear on ploughed field at Hagley Fields this evening.

( Willow Warbler also heard from Stourbridge train station by another observer early this morning. )

P.S. Good to finally catch up with you over Hagley this evening Laurie.

Cheers Glenn

Last edited:
Yes Glenn - nice to finally put a face to a name (or a couple of initials and a number in your case;)) Bumping into you again after searching for Wheatears elsewhere certainly paid off. I must say the viewing conditions were difficult with the harsh light coming in from the right, field being as dry as a bone and thus females merging nicely into the background and the rough soil casting shadows everywhere:eek!:

From the original viewpoint i managed another female and then i moved around to the far end and altho looking slightly into the sun located 3 males on a ridge of one of the ruts making a minimum of 3m and 4f - will repeat the exercise at the same time today 3-6pm after bashing about elsewhere of course!

Another local chap with binoculars appeared and sat down for a chat. He was keen and said there had been 2 the last couple of evenings. He is used to seeing them in Cornwall and thought these birds were making their way down there to breed! I blame it on being spoon-fed the BBC cr@p on Springwatch and the dumbed-down blonde Kate Fumble.....and not forgetting Steve Backshurt, can't get away without mentioning him;)

4 birders - i'm still pinching myself!

Didn't click with the Willow Warbler but had 2 Chiffchaffs on the way round.

ATB Laurie:t:

Good morning up Walton Hill this morning.
On way up had Wheatear(male) in fields back of farm opposite clent slope, near wer'e hay bales are.
Top of Walton severel Willow Warblers , then had 2 Ring Ouzles ( Males ) in top of tree , down slope from horse
paddocks. Meadow Pipits , Linnets also in erea.
Also on slope earlier 2 Wheatears (Males).
Great place to bird.

Agree, Paul, altho Clent is higher the high level of walkers (and dogs) means that little, if anything, hangs around:C

I decided to cycle up to the Wassell Grove pools - i don't know what Craig has seen recently but i haven't heard of much and it is that time of year. The bloke at the cafe said he saw him about a week ago?

I spent about an hour and a half in pleasant sunshine listing to warblers and watching the worm-drowners;) Oh and being gripped off by you re: Rousels:C Several Willow Warblers (new for the year for me) Chiffchaffs, Blackcap and Swallow were noted. Chiffchaffs also heard in passing on the way over.

It's a bit of a jaunt, for me, i don't mind from time to time but i will leave it to the regular patch-worker and his.....car!

Ring Ouzels are making up a large % of online reports and altho associated with high ground could turn up anywhere. Still time for an overflying Osprey but it doesn't look like the longest-stayer "Lady" will be a geriatric mum again this year:C http://www.scotsman.com/news/environment/scotland-s-famous-osprey-lady-likely-to-be-dead-1-3742353

Still under the influence of a heavy cold and having had an uncomfortable night, most of which was spent coughing and sneezing, i returned from WGP @ midday and promptly fell asleep for 4 hours! Needless to say i did'nt manage the afternoon trip to the WHF but will endeavour to attend today.

Attached - reports of more than 4 birders at one time over at the West Hagley Fields have been greatly exaggerated;)

Attachments

• Woodstock3.jpg
    Woodstock3.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 172
On this day...............1982:eek!:

UK and Western Palearctic first record of Savannah (Ipswich) Sparrow!

I had been camping and birding for a week with my brother and uncle. We walked back along the coast to Studland. Bumped into a birder who gave us the news....bird presumed still there (no mobiles/internet etc, did'nt even hv Nancys' nbr:C) Got the train back to Weymouth, a few beers, last train over to 'The Bill', pitched tent and up at first light and celebrated with tea and toast:t:

Halcyon days, had that one on big-lister Ron Johns for a while.....

Attached - a nice pic of the critter from Alan Hayden.

Attachments

• SavSpugAlanHayden.jpg
    SavSpugAlanHayden.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 168
A 'possible'? What else could it be apart from a Pterodactyl.....or an albino Heron? Depends whether a birder saw it or not but a possible...hmmmm;) If (big if) it is and it is on Fens Pools (unlikely) i presume somebody will report it - perhaps we will never know, no use in getting worked up about it around here.

Whittington:

A rather bracing walk was had down the public footpath at Whittington that leads on to Sugar Loaf Lane, the cold was soon forgotten when we sighted 3 Male Wheatears in one of the sheep fields and further on a Yellow Wagtail (possibly 2 individuals) was a brilliant end to the walk!!!! Good to see them all back!!!

Attachments

• P1000412 (Custom).JPG
    P1000412 (Custom).JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 190
  • P1000400 (Custom).JPG
    P1000400 (Custom).JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 177
  • P1000404 (Custom).JPG
    P1000404 (Custom).JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 180
Whittington:

A rather bracing walk was had down the public footpath at Whittington that leads on to Sugar Loaf Lane, the cold was soon forgotten when we sighted 3 Male Wheatears in one of the sheep fields and further on a Yellow Wagtail (possibly 2 individuals) was a brilliant end to the walk!!!! Good to see them all back!!!

Tree Pipit also reported over the same locality

Nice sightings, Emma, i was a tad early last week but will try Monday onwards with the onset of high pressure that should steadily build during the week with promises of 20c+ being trumpeted by those in the know.....

Eric Phillips had a Ring Ouzel in the area before Turbine Cottage ystda and Paul Alan-Legge has had RO, YW and several Corn Buntings tda. The occupants of the cottage seem OK but would rather people not walk past their house and get a bit shirty if u look with the bins. Tough, they should'nt hv bought a house next to one, i've given them my unvarnished opinion several times over the years;)

Attached is a map of where i've seen stuff, the dung fields can yield passerines feeding on flies or drinking from stagnent pools of pee - i had a cracking male Black Redstart on passage several years ago there.

Information on the 'possible' Gannet has not surfaced so it's 'probably' in somebodies freezer in Pensnett or Brockmoor!

It looks like the much-vaunted #MaltaSlaughter referendum has just nudged the shooters to victory. I would like to be a fly-on-the-wall at FKNK (FurKoatNoKnickers) luminary Mark Mifsud Bonnici's house today. I wonder how much wheeling and dealing he has been upto trying to coerce and intimidate the voting populace. It's all academic as the EU has banned Spring hunting in all member states but the Malta government has managed to get an annual derogation to allow these saddos to shoot everybody elses migratory birdlife. If only they stuck to quotas and species i.e no more than 2 birds a day and a total of 4 for the whole season and then only Turtle Dove and Quail. It's just an excuse for these macho muppets to blast away at everything illegally with the Plodz turning a blind eye 'cos they're all related which, eventually, wil bring its own problems - it's alright having an itchy finger trigger but 6 on one hand!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32274233

Our skies are mercifully clear of guns at this time of year, trouble is around here it's devoid of birds as well...

Attached - local map and MaltaSlaughter - It's heads they win and Quails you lose;)

Attachments

• Map.jpg
    Map.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 195
  • quail.jpg
    quail.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 149

Users who are viewing this thread

Back