• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello - from Yucatan, Mexico Birder (1 Viewer)

BevScott

YucatanBirder
I'm an avid, long-time birder from Canada, now living in Progreso, Mexico. This is a great spot to find interesting birding info.

My husband and I have been in the Yucatan 2 1/2 years now, lived in jungle in southern Quintana Roo for 5 months, spent 2 months travelling in Chiapas this past summer. My husband is an avid amateur photographer. Attached is a photo he snapped of a roosting Northern Potoo. I'd be pleased to communicate with other birders interested in Mexican species.
:flyaway:

Attachments

• Northern Potoo.JPG
    Northern Potoo.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Bev, here's a warm welcome to you from all of us on staff at BirdForum.

We'll look forward to hearing about birding in the Yucatan. Enjoy yourself on the forums.

Hi Bev,

BIG Welcome to BF.

Well, you've been here nearly 40 minutes now, so I think it's OK to ask you a favour!

Could you send me (at your convenience) a list of the species I would be likely to see on the Yucatan.

As it happens, the local airport is starting flights to Cancun this year, so you never know...!!! (But I would need to do some revision!)

Hi, Bev! Another warm welcome to you from BirdForum!

Look forward to seeing more of your photos in the Gallery and hearing about the birds you're seeing there. :t:

Hi Bev,

A very warm welcome to BF. I'm just back from my third (non-birding) vacation to Playacar and love the area. Great wildlife and stunning Mayan sites.

Some excellent birds this year including seven lifers but noticably fewer than in Jan 05. Maybe the affects for hurricane Wilma? There was certainly a lot of flattened habitat in the coastal zone.

All the best

Hi Bev
Great to here of some more birders on BirdForum based in Middle America. The Yucatan is a really great place for birding, especially with all of the interesting endemics. I had a great 6 week vacation there a few years ago and managed to see most of the good birds. I look forward to hearing what you have been seeing.
By the way, if your husband is ever at a loss for what to do with any of his bird photos I am always looking for photos of birds of the region for my website. It actually only covers Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador, but nearly all of the Yucatan specialties reach into the Peten of northern Guatemala and I am trying to write a page on each one and include a photo. I have very few of the Yucatan specialties, so any would be really welcome.
All the best

Tom

birdman said:
Could you send me (at your convenience) a list of the species I would be likely to see on the Yucatan.

Hi Birdman
If you have any interest in birding the Yucatan I strongly recommend getting hold of 'Where to Watch Birds in Mexico' by Steve Howell. He gives very complete bird lists for each of the sites in the region, many of which are also important Mayan sites. Its a very well researched and written book by the top expert in the region, who also wrote the best field guide.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back