Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Best Plants, Bushes for Hummingbirds?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 6th April 2006, 21:08   #1
Abbygirl

Best Plants, Bushes for Hummingbirds?

I would like to know what the Best Plants, Bushes are for Hummingbirds? I would like to attrack more humming birds (anna's and rufous's) here in the Oregon area, but not sure what type of plants/bushes would be best for them? Any links, information would be great. I'm sorry if I have repeated something that has been discuessed already here. Please lead me to the link if this has been discuessed already. thanks.
Old Wednesday 10th May 2006, 22:54   #2
Abbygirl

I found out that while going to Fred Meyer's you can look on the little sticks that are on the plants it will tell you if it will attrack Hummingbirds or butterfly's. That made me really excited. I'm not sure if other stores will do that. But that is so nice to know!
Old Wednesday 10th May 2006, 23:38   #3
streatham

Hi Abby,

I'd recommend Salvia, Monarda/Bee Balm, Coral Bells and Butterfly Bush but then I'm going on what I plant on the East Coast in my yard and there may be better options near you - to be honest I think there is such a market now in plants that are good for attracting birds, hummers and butterflies that most garden centers will be able to give you good advice on plants to chose.

Luke

Last edited by streatham : Thursday 11th May 2006 at 02:01.
Old Thursday 11th May 2006, 01:00   #4
Curtis Croulet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbygirl
I found out that while going to Fred Meyer's you can look on the little sticks that are on the plants it will tell you if it will attrack Hummingbirds or butterfly's. That made me really excited. I'm not sure if other stores will do that. But that is so nice to know!
The Sunset Garden Book also has suggestions, as does the Las Pilitas Nursery website, though that's probably most useful for California.
Old Wednesday 21st June 2006, 19:24   #5
Tz'unun
Featherless Biped

Hi, Abbygirl,

Attracting hummingbirds is fairly easy. They'll investigate almost any bright color, even if it's not on a flower, but not all flowers that hummingbirds will investigate have the right amount and kind of nectar to keep them around. Your best choices are always the native plants that are adapted to your local hummingbirds and vice versa. This page from the Washington Native Plant Society lists native species that are good choices for landscaping in the Pacific Northwest. Some of the hummingbird attractors included in the list are:

Orange Honeysuckle, Lonicera ciliosa
Red Flowering Currant, Ribes sanguineum
Salmonberry, Rubus spectabilis
Twinberry, Lonicera involucrata
Snowberry, Symphoricarpos albus
Western Columbine, Aquilegia formosa

Some of these are also native to Arizona or have counterparts here, so I can vouch for their suitability in a hummingbird garden.

This nursery in West Linn specializes in native plants and has a page on hummingbird gardens with many more recommendations.

Good luck with your garden!

BF Supporter 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: