• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Damselfly ID - Helsinki (Finland) (1 Viewer)

Dave Pearson

I am still agonising over the ID of a damselfly I photographed near Helsinki in late June, 2016. I believe it is either Arctic (Coenagrion johanssoni) or Variable (C. pulchellum). Would anyone like to confirm?

Attachments

• DSC_0375A.jpg
    DSC_0375A.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 50
Can we eliminate hastulatem ?

Don't think it's Variable, it has solid antehumeral stripes and if it were johanssoni I'd expect no stem on S1-2, yours has a thick stem.

A

I don't think it's Variable Damselfly either - the pronotum is not strongly tri-lobed. I've no field experience of either hastulatum or johanssoni so don't know how the segment patterns vary from the drawings in my books.

The mark on S2 looks U shaped & not spearhead shaped which would point towards C. johanssoni but I don't think we can conclude a positive id without further photos!

Shane

I'm not saying it is C. johanssoni for sure as you point out there are features that support C. hastulatum but I think further photos are needed, particularly (& unusually) a side-on one to help id!

Shane

Sorry, that is the only photo I have.

I believe there can be some variation in the mark on S2, particularly with C. hasulatum but I cannot find any other images that show it to this extent.

The 2 photos showing S2 are not slightly different but significantly different so I don't see how a definitive id can be made without a side view ....... & if there is a black cat or sphinx in the mark then it's C. johanssoni, if not C. hastulatum? Unfortunately, we don't have a side view to confirm!

Shane

I'm pretty certain this is Coenagrion hastulatum, showing just a little more black than typical. Thus the marking on abdominal segment S3 is spear-shaped (more blunt-ended in johanssoni), and the pronotum is also quite pointed (more smoothly rounded in johanssoni). The shape of the pronotum is a useful feature for IDing the blue damselflies.

I'm pretty certain this is Coenagrion hastulatum, showing just a little more black than typical. Thus the marking on abdominal segment S3 is spear-shaped (more blunt-ended in johanssoni), and the pronotum is also quite pointed (more smoothly rounded in johanssoni). The shape of the pronotum is a useful feature for IDing the blue damselflies.

Called the 'prothorax' by Americans I believe?

A

Not quite the same! The prothorax is the first of the 3 thoracic segments whereas the pronotum is the dorsal part of the prothorax.

'Schooled' as the American's like to say, thanks aeshna.

Would the culmen of a birds bill be a valid comparison?

A

'Schooled' as the American's like to say, thanks aeshna.

Would the culmen of a birds bill be a valid comparison?

A

I can see where you're coming from with this analogy, though of course the exoskeleton of an insect isn't really comparable with a bird's bill.

I am sure hastulatum is most likely. You can just see the horizontal stripe on the side of S2, but none of the hastulatums I have seen in Scotland or Sweden looked quite like this. Just goes to show what a night out in Helsinki can do to you.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back