• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newby with a question (1 Viewer)

huwbob

Hi all, new to the forums but have a question. I want to start digiscoping. I have a Bushnell Spacemaster with a variable zoom lens, but no camera as yet. Is this a viable starting point, or is it a case of "erm.....well"!

All help gratefully accepted, and the more cost effective the options the better!! :-O

both camera and scope are important but a good scope will last many a year when the camera is replaced several times,,

since you have the spacemaster I would recommend a camera that seems popular here on the forum as they are tried and proven,, either a P&S or DSLR if the funds allow,, give the scope a try and get use to it,, it is capable of decent photos but will take some work,,

Derry

Exactly, use what you have and figure out what you want to do from there. The Spacemaster has been around for what, 40 years? They have changed over the years but some of them are really great. Your zoom eyepiece is very likely poor quality, and will be the limiting factor.

I'd suggest you create a basic rig to stabilize a camera to the scope. Local hardware store plumbing supplies are a start. Then go to experimenting.

Some images on Flikr taken through a Bushnell Spacemaster here so it looks like it can do an ok job depending on the exact model you have of course.

I'd definitely look at changing the eyepiece to a fixed size one, not a zoom. If it's an old scope then maybe think about grafting on a decent astro type eyepiece that's also threaded to take digicams. I used to modify old spotting scopes and mount my 17mm Baader Hyperion eyepiece onto them. You wouldn't believe how good the image can look through a cheap scope just with the addition of a high quality eyepiece. The Baader Hyperion also gives a nice wide angle 68 degree view and it has 2 different sized threads for screweing onto digiscope adapters. Anyway, something to think about.

Paul.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back