• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monarch 7 8x30 eye relief (1 Viewer)

pshute

Australia
I'm interested in the Monarch 7 8x30s, but I see that the eye relief is only 15.1mm compared to 19 on my current Monarch 3 8x42s and I'm concerned they won't work with my glasses.

I can only have the eye cups up a couple of mm on these before I lose the edge of the field. Yet I haven't come across many complaints about relief with the 8x30s. Is it possible that they've measured them differently?

I think the 15.1mm ER is accurate. I can get the full FOV with glasses but I'm sure some are going to have problems. I normally set my ER to 15.5-16mm and just a little extra pressure is sufficient to work for me. The Kite version has a more rounded profile to the eyecup which takes away about another 1.5mm of the available ER and I can't get the full FOV with those.

David

Although I wear eye glasses, I primarily do my binocular viewing without them. Your post motivated me to try the 8X30 Monach 7 with my glasses. When I took the time to adjust the IPD just right and position them just right, I was able to get the whole view. With a little less effort, I was getting about 95% of the view. Keep in mind that I normally do not view with eye glasses, so proper placement is an effort for me with any binocular. It appears there is not any eye relief to spare, but it may work for you depending on your facial structure and eye glass frame style.

Do any of the stores in Australia allow a satisfaction guaranteed policy? If so, I think it would be worth a try since the 8X30 M7 does offer a very satisfying view. It does have it's quirks (mainly critical eye placement of a small exit pupil), but the quirks are not that great and the small size, light weight, wide view and satisfying image are worth it. There have been some reports of stay light issues but I see it only under the most difficult viewing conditions that give most binoculars fits.

Last edited:
Eye relief---what's that? I've only heard of....Eire leaf!
(this is how some websites call the ER, probably after a misuse of a spell checker....).

M7 8x30 also has the problem of a small diopter correction range: only -2 to +2, which eliminates many potential users.

I got blackout due to short eye relief. I had to return them. Otherwise they were good binos.
I tried to replicate this blackout effect with my Monarch 8x42s, which have much longer eye relief.

When I wound the eyecups right out and used them with my glasses on - simulating insufficient eye relief - I couldn't get them to black out, no matter where I placed them in relation to my eyes.

When I wound them right in and used them without my glasses - simulating too much eye relief - they became very prone to blackout.

Assuming all binoculars work the same way, I wonder then what was causing the blackout in your case.

I'm wondering if the second test above is a good way to help ensure that the barrel separation is set precisely. If one can adjust them to get no blackout then the separation must be right.

It's fairly common, especially for the nearsighted, to have
blackouts with glasses off but not with them on.
At least, that's my experience, with my -4D glasses off.
I like binoculars that work both ways, since the 'theatre' periphery
is a lot darker without glasses.

I'm interested in the Monarch 7 8x30s, but I see that the eye relief is only 15.1mm compared to 19 on my current Monarch 3 8x42s and I'm concerned they won't work with my glasses.

I can only have the eye cups up a couple of mm on these before I lose the edge of the field. Yet I haven't come across many complaints about relief with the 8x30s. Is it possible that they've measured them differently?

Yours is a valid concern. However I think the only way to find out if the 8x30's work for your eyes is to try them in person.

I have the Monarch 7 8x30 and have no trouble using them with or without glasses. However, as everyone who use glasses will have different facial features, the position of the glasses and hence the distance from the eyes with differ from person to person, so I can only reiterate what Roadbike said, that you should try them out in person if possible. I think this applies to all binoculars, particularly as I am very sceptical about manufacture's specifications in this area.

Stan

Last edited:
In my search for an 8x30-32 I just become aware of this binocular. I have been quite demanding when it comes to eye relief but with my new eyeglasses I come closer to the ocular lens.
At the pictures of Monarch 7 8x30 the eye lenses look to be pretty large sized and that's a good sign despite stated 15mm seems to be a bit too short.
According to my experience the stated eye relief of binoculars is not always correct. I will try this model to really know, because I think it provides high performance for the price.

In my search for an 8x30-32 I just become aware of this binocular. I have been quite demanding when it comes to eye relief but with my new eyeglasses I come closer to the ocular lens.
At the pictures of Monarch 7 8x30 the eye lenses look to be pretty large sized and that's a good sign despite stated 15mm seems to be a bit too short.
According to my experience the stated eye relief of binoculars is not always correct. I will try this model to really know, because I think it provides high performance for the price.
Please let us know how you go. I can't se myself finding time to track down a pair to try for a while.

I have yet to find a bin that I can use while wearing my glasses. I just take them off and use the diopter on the bins.

Please let us know how you go. I can't se myself finding time to track down a pair to try for a while.

I will do. But I am already doubtful: I understand the narrower barrels on this 8x30 (compared to Leupold Katmai 6x32 and Vortex Viper 6x32) makes the eye lenses looking larger than they are. And considering the AFOV is 66deg, it demands pretty large eye lenses to provide a satisfying view with eyeglasses on.
But I am curious so I want to try this model; only when I try it I will know if I find it satisfying for me.

Last edited:
I will do. But I am already doubtful: I understand the narrower barrels on this 8x30 (compared to Leupold Katmai 6x32 and Vortex Viper 6x32) makes the eye lenses looking larger than they are. And considering the AFOV is 66deg, it demands pretty large eye lenses to provide a satisfying view with eyeglasses on.
But I am curious so I want to try this model; only when I try it I will know if I find it satisfying for me.

I have been in a similar situation wondering about the eye relief on the M7 8x30 given I have no local stockists. As with others I have been looking for a go anywhere anytime binocular to supplement my main (Opticron DBA MG) 8x42. A trip to Innsbruck solved the problem. Miller Optic there (part of a big national chain) had them on offer for Euro 299 a bargain compared even with UK discount prices. They also do on-line delivery to the UK.
They loaned me a demo for two days to try out. There was no problem with eye relief at all. In fact I found that I could get the best eye placement and ease of view by having the eyecups one notch out. The indents felt positive and they stayed put. There seemed to be no vignetting at this setting, however I am not that bothered over a metre or two at 1000 metres. The field of view was exceptional either way. I will not comment on the optical excellence as this has been adequately described elsewhere, they far surpassed my expectation. The eye lenses seem the same size as my normal 8x42 - about 22 mm. They were very comfortable to use and of course are extremely light and compact. They compared extremely well with a demo Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 they had available, in fact I could see little difference if any, except the Cls’ were Euro 700 more.
On the subject of glare and veiling which has also featured elsewhere, I experienced every weather condition over the two days, ranging from heavy cloud and rain to brilliant sunshine. I tried all the problem conditions, staring into thick banks of trees under thin cloud (which yielded a lesser spotted woodpecker I would not otherwise would have seen), into monotone bushes under cloud (and sun), and at early light and evening looking as close to the sun as was prudent. There was only very slight glare when the sun was down near the horizon, but nothing special. On all other occasions the contrast was excellent and veiling to my view non-existent. They also handled a trip up above the snow line in clear sun extremely well again with no glare to worry about.
Needless to say I bought a new fresh boxed one there and then.
Two slight differences between the demo and the new one. The focus was somewhat stiffer on the new one, perhaps as to be expected given the handing the demo would have had, but even then my new one is extremely smooth, nicely taut and very comfortable to use. The other thing was that on the demo I needed to shift the diopter slightly to even up the sharpness (very impressive) in both barrels, despite my glasses. I did not need to do this on the new one, both barrels matched perfectly. For the record I wear quite close fitting varifocal glasses (all the time) which may explain why they work best for me with the eyecups slightly extended.
I does make me wonder whether alphas are really worth the premium if even a comparatively inexpensive small binocular such as this can produce such good results.
One final comment in light of the really nice focusing mechanism on the M7, I compared it with two Swarovski SLCs’ on display. Both had really poor focusing mechanisms, gritty and with pronounced differences in tension between turning it one way and another. The store assistant commented that this ‘lost’ them quite a lot of sales and despite their reporting it to Swarovski (the factory is only a short distance away) there seems to have been no resolution. Out of curiosity I tried two more later at the Swarovski flagship store in the town, mostly jewelry, but where they have the full range of binoculars and the same problems were found.
In contrast seemingly the M7 8x30 is Millers Innsbruck branch best-seller by quite a margin, especially to mountain walkers. They mentioned they have had no returns for glare or veiling and only “one or two” with mechanical faults.
Back in the UK a field test under mixed sunny and cloudy conditions emphasised just how good these are – in my view a bargain at the price.

Barrie

For the record I wear quite close fitting varifocal glasses (all the time) which may explain why they work best for me with the eyecups slightly extended.

Thanks for that exhaustive review, Barrie. I'm guessing from the above that for people whose glasses aren't close fitting, the relief just might be an issue. How far do the eyecups move to go to the first stop?

Thanks for that exhaustive review, Barrie. I'm guessing from the above that for people whose glasses aren't close fitting, the relief just might be an issue. How far do the eyecups move to go to the first stop?

I think this is the issue, styles of glasses will vary quite a lot, hence the advice to 'try before you buy' or at least buy from somewhere that offers a return option. My choice of tightish fitting frames was prompted by the need for ease of use with binoculars - as was a generous area for 'distance' viewing in the prescription for the varifocal - the new digital computing system now available from some lens manufacturers makes this much easier.
The first indent movement is about 2 mm, there are two intermediate settings and fully out the extension is about 7 mm
I should have said in my earlier post that they also work ok with my prescription sunglasses, which are not tight fitting and wrap around style, probably with the lenses further out than for average glasses.
The M7 works well with them but only with the eyecups fully retracted, at one indent out the view is noticeably narrow and rather tunnel like. With full retraction I am probably losing some FOV but not enough to bother me as the starting fov is so wide. I found using them with sunglasses up in the snow recently that I did not really notice any issue with fov and they performed really well. That said I may be conditioned slightly by my normal binoculars which offer a fov of 122 metres (400ft)
I have been out again on my local patch this morning (direct from the house) and find them so light, comfortable and sharp that for most leisurely walks around they will probably be my normal go to choice. For more serious stuff the 8x42s will be the regular choice

Barrie

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back