• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon EDG series (1 Viewer)

I just got my new EDG with the improvements as were talked about earlier here. The focuser diopter has now been fixed, with the nice firm detent. Also changed is a new
ocular cover made out of a more typical rubber style rather than the hard plastic.

I have the 10x42 EDG, and these are a very nice optic, very bright with nice edge to edge clarity and sharpness. The focuser also has that very nice smooth feel that the Premier Nikons are known for.

I just got my new EDG with the improvements as were talked about earlier here. The focuser diopter has now been fixed, with the nice firm detent. Also changed is a new
ocular cover made out of a more typical rubber style rather than the hard plastic.

I have the 10x42 EDG, and these are a very nice optic, very bright with nice edge to edge clarity and sharpness. The focuser also has that very nice smooth feel that the Premier Nikons are known for.
How well do they control CA?

How well do they control CA?

John:

I am not really bothered a lot by CA, but by all reviews I've seen, these handle colors very true to form, and the ED glass does a much better job
than the previous LXL's. The handling and balance of these is very nice, and I am very pleased with them.

This is great news.... Any chance you will be able to use them along side a pair of SE's and give your opinion? Did you ever end up with that pair of 12x SE's?

John:

I am not really bothered a lot by CA, but by all reviews I've seen, these handle colors very true to form, and the ED glass does a much better job
than the previous LXL's. The handling and balance of these is very nice, and I am very pleased with them.
Thanks.
I'm glad they fixed that diopter!
John

John:

John, I had a chance to look through Jerry's first 10x42 EDG and I thought the CA was very well controlled. I didn't notice any on dark objects against the sky. Contrast and resolution are excellent. I liked the feel of this binocular in my hand, it felt like I could use it all day. I really didn't have any problem with the diopter control, I set it 2.0 diopters and forgot it just like I have done in all the SE series,LX & EII series. The focuser never was a problem. Brock had some trouble with the diopter control/focuser.

I normally don't wear my glasses while using binoculars but found the EDG worked very well with or without my glasses, the eyecup adjustment worked very well for me. The edges of the field are very good. I did a quick check using my -.2.0 left eye in right and left barrels and then when I got to the very edge/ right at the edge I could switch to my right eye and the very edge would be in focus, so I would say at the "very" edge of this sample there was 2.0 diopter curvature. I did measure boosted resolution with just 2 1/2 power booster and it was 3.8 arcsec and I am sure with more magnification it could do better. Well for one thing the view told me that. The only problem I have with the EDG series so far is the price.;)
Regards,Steve

I know that Jerry sent this to Brock to try and I had a chance to look through it as well and I thank Jerry for that chance.:t:

This is great news.... Any chance you will be able to use them along side a pair of SE's and give your opinion? Did you ever end up with that pair of 12x SE's?

I have used them alongside my 8x32 SE's and they are both very good. The EDG is better in low light. I'm not an optics expert like some here, so hard for me to give specifics on camparisons.

That 12x50 SE that I had tried was very well worn, had some issues inside, so I returned it to the seller. I am sure though that Nikon service would have put it back into shape, as I have very well pleased with them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info NDHunter. Have you any experience, or what have you guys heard about Nikon's customer service here in the U.S? I have a Nikon Fieldscope 82ED and it is fantastic, on par with my neighbor's Zeiss 85T FL with the narrower FOV the only difference.

Thanks for the info NDHunter. Have you any experience, or what have you guys heard about Nikon's customer service here in the U.S? I have a Nikon Fieldscope 82ED and it is fantastic, on par with my neighbor's Zeiss 85T FL with the narrower FOV the only difference.

I've used Nikon service, they have the 25 year, no-fault repair/replacement
policy, I think it is for $10 or maybe $20, plus shipping, even on 2nd hand
purchases. That is very good.
I've also used Swaro. service, many reports here also very good, no-fault repair, very happy with results on both.

Nikon's USA service has been excellent for me on three different occasions. It's one of the reasons I'm considering the EDG.
John

John, I had a chance to look through Jerry's first 10x42 EDG and I thought the CA was very well controlled. I didn't notice any on dark objects against the sky. Contrast and resolution are excellent. I liked the feel of this binocular in my hand, it felt like I could use it all day. I really didn't have any problem with the diopter control, I set it 2.0 diopters and forgot it just like I have done in all the SE series,LX & EII series. The focuser never was a problem. Brock had some trouble with the diopter control/focuser.

I normally don't wear my glasses while using binoculars but found the EDG worked very well with or without my glasses, the eyecup adjustment worked very well for me. The edges of the field are very good. I did a quick check using my -.2.0 left eye in right and left barrels and then when I got to the very edge/ right at the edge I could switch to my right eye and the very edge would be in focus, so I would say at the "very" edge of this sample there was 2.0 diopter curvature. I did measure boosted resolution with just 2 1/2 power booster and it was 3.8 arcsec and I am sure with more magnification it could do better. Well for one thing the view told me that. The only problem I have with the EDG series so far is the price.;)
Regards,Steve

I know that Jerry sent this to Brock to try and I had a chance to look through it as well and I thank Jerry for that chance.:t:

Steve has better focus accommodation than I do. I often have to reset the right diopter on my 8x32 LX for different distances whereas Steve can "set and forget".

This was the same with the EDG. However, I don't have this issue with either the SE or EII.

However, what is mooreorless interesting to note is that BOTH Steve, with his smallish human hands, and I, with my Klingon Hands, which were once described by a CN bin forum member as "freakishly large," felt the same way about how the EDG fit our hands.

"I liked the feel of this binocular in my hand, it felt like I could use it all day" echoes my sentiments precisely.

It is the only roof I've tried that fits my hands as well as porros.

The Nikon SE has garnered similar praise from both small- and large-handed users.

And as I mentioned earlier, the view reminded me of the SE.

So for those looking for "SE optics" in a roof design, the EDG will probably satisfy that wish.

However, like Steve, the only problem I have with the EDG series (now that they've fixed the focuser cap) is the price.

From what I've read, the EDG is priced lower than the new Swaro EL ED, but I cannot imagine Steve Ingraham calling the EDG, "a poor man's EL".

As SE aficionados will remember, Nikon first released the 10x42 SE model before the others.

So I lay down the gauntlet for Nikon to produce a WP/FP 10x42 SE with ED glass for $1200.

Discounted, it will end up at around $1,000, with used and refurbs going for about $800.

Certainly not a "poor man's" alternative, but one that would fit more birder's budgets than the EDG, which sells for $2,000.

Mr. Kariya, if you truly want to "reaffirm [your] corporate philosophy of "trustworthiness and creativity," and "in the face of an unstable global economy... apply the passion and wisdom that promotes constant innovation through manufacturing competitiveness," I suggest you make a WP SE for the people instead of continuing to chase after higher profits like the alpha p'taks.

http://www.nikon.com/about/info/greeting/index.htm

<snip>

Mr. Kariya, if you truly want to "reaffirm [your] corporate philosophy of "trustworthiness and creativity," and "in the face of an unstable global economy... apply the passion and wisdom that promotes constant innovation through manufacturing competitiveness," I suggest you make a WP SE for the people instead of continuing to chase after higher profits like the alpha p'taks.

http://www.nikon.com/about/info/greeting/index.htm

You just asked the man not to do his job!

John

sounds very nice.
it's a pity we don't have them in Europe. :-C
Nikon: give it a second thought. :t:

sounds very nice.
it's a pity we don't have them in Europe. :-C
Nikon: give it a second thought. :t:

Copyright that slogan before Kariya does!

I wrote a TV commercial for the newly redesigned Nikon E Class SP binoculars (WP version SE upgraded with "SP" glass) aimed at hunters, with Michael Dorn (Lt. Worf) as the actor and Patrick Stewart doing the narration.

It's buried in one of BF Nikon SE threads. All I remember is the ending:

We cut back to Dorn on his knees about to gut a targ. He looks up and says:

Only a taHqeq! would use anything else.

Fade to black.

Copyright that slogan before Kariya does!

I wrote a TV commercial for the newly redesigned Nikon E Class SP binoculars (WP version SE upgraded with "SP" glass) aimed at hunters, with Michael Dorn (Lt. Worf) as the actor and Patrick Stewart doing the narration.

It's buried in one of BF Nikon SE threads. All I remember is the ending:

We cut back to Dorn on his knees about to gut a targ. He looks up and says:

Only a taHqeq! would use anything else.

Fade to black.

Not too far away from the current EDG positioning I saw in an Audubon mag earlier in the year. Something about how only really good bins have EDGe to EDGe sharpness.

Drop scissors kick, Kirk-style, to Zeiss.

But the Romulans at Swaro seem to have that angle covered.

Is flat field the battlefield of the future?

Not too far away from the current EDG positioning I saw in an Audubon mag earlier in the year. Something about how only really good bins have EDGe to EDGe sharpness.

If it is, it is going to cost the binocular equivalence of our "Stars Wars" approach to foreign policy and without a governments ability to coerce tax support too. The cost of those huge eye pieces alone in their limited production must be scary! The other binocular companies must be wondering what their own prices will have to be to compete and make a profit. It wouldn't surprise me if they were made to order like Saabs. No doubt the Chinese can make them cheaper, but even theirs will have to be expensive.

I'm wondering if they can explain how and why, in clear economic terms, (including marketing) the new 8.5 x 42's can be $2200.00 more expensive than Swift's $350.00 8.5 x 44 HHS? (Are the Swift's still Japanese made?) We can speculate about this on the forum, but I would like to hear it from the company. Style and panache still count for something to be sure! Rolex is still a status symbol but there are lots of European Watches out there just as highly regarded.

Is this a planned effort to replace the Red Dot with the Raptor?

Bob

Kevin,

You're awake! :)

I said this before, but I think it bears repeating though it may bend some noses.

The battlefield of the future is for roof manufacturers to spend obscene amounts of money to create a bin with similar optical and physical qualities to the Nikon SE, and for users to spend obscene amounts of their hard-earned credit buying those faux SE roof wannabes.

So yes, roof manufacturers need to make their roofie SE wannabes with a flat field. Add Field Flatteners: Check.

("What? why would you put field flatteners in birding bins?" was the question at one time. "All you need to do is move the bird to the center of the field. Doh." People who respond this way fail to appreciate the aesthetics of flat field optics. Which is okay, there are plenty of fuzzy edged bins out there at all price points to satisfy them and then some.)

The roofie wannabes also need to have comfortable ergonomics that will fit a variety of hand sizes and grips like the SE. Roofs' answer: Open bridge roof. Check.

The roofie wannabes need to have low CA. Add ED/HD/FL glass. Check. Check. Check please?

The roofie wannabes need to have 3-D depth perception like the SE. Um..ah, hum...ah, we'll get back to you on that one.

When you think of what Nikon had to do to create a roof bin with optics similar to the SE (EDG) and ergonomics that could fit both my Klingon-sized hands and Steve's (mooreorless) small man hands, and happens to a users nose when he has to pay for that, it kind of makes me go Mad Max that they just didn't make the SE's WP, the way they did the EX porros.

They could have saved the company a bundle in R & D in having to reinvent the wheel, and binofans $2K+ who needed an absolutely WP/FP bin and wanted a WP SE, but since one wasn't available ended up with an EDG or EL ED when they could have used the difference in cost to put a down payment on a car.

But you say this, and you get the response that I got above. As if I were a Luddite in suggesting that Nikon or any bin company update their premium porros, and that there might actually be a market for them beyond diehard BF SE fans.

However, it's too late now. The Roof Chicxulub Event has already occurred, and premium CF porros are on the very brink of extinction. It's like "Ice Age" but with porros.

The world will never be the same.

The horror...the horror...no, no, I can't watch anymore... boy, did the Yankees suck tonight!

Thanks for that heads up. I'm going to contact Kariya and tell him I want residuals for that print ad. :)

...The battlefield of the future is for roof manufacturers.....

Roof design dominance, another example.

I got one of those Pajaro "Grande" bags. It has a side opening binocular pocket. It is obviously designed for holding a roof, not a porro.

Might be a nice travel-by-air-bring-along bag, (Zeiss 8x30 BGATP & field guide), but otherwise, sticken to the Filson.

Field Flatulencers? I wonder if bins with those objectives would work best identifying birds in my neighboring farmer's meadow? Hmmm?
Bob

I got one of those Pajaro "Grande" bags. It has a side opening binocular pocket. It is obviously designed for holding a roof, not a porro.

The big top opening pocket at the back of the Pajaro "Grande" bag holds even the biggest porro. I was quite pleased to see my 10x42 SE fit there with plenty of space.

Use that side opening pocket for a Petersen (but not a small Sibley, doh!) field guide.

Clearly we need a modular system for birding with waterproof pockets and bags matched to our bin and field guide sizes a bit like MOLLE with PALS for birders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOLLE_(military)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pouch_Attachment_Ladder_System

Now that would scare the locals. Perhaps is earth tones ;)

I fear we have drifted a bit off topic.

To get a little closer back: there is no reason why a porro shouldn't have a field flatener e.g. Fujinon FMT. One reason for adding it is the correct for field cuirvature so the eyepiece doesn't need to do that. That gives the EP designer a bit more freedom e.g. the SE gets a decently flat field but at the expense of critical eye positioning which makes use a bit annoying.

But as the porro debate is long gone (and don't forge the 3D effect has a trade off with "Magnification Illusion". I prefer the latter (as do a lot of people, I think).

OK, I'm out birding. With my SE ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back