• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Free broadband with Talk Talk (1 Viewer)

d.steeley

England
Hi all, I have a new computer which I hope to get up and running soon. I would like a broadband internet connection instead of my old dial up, but which one? Carphone Warehouse seem to be offering a very attractive deal on their Talk3 International package which, from what I can make out, offers free local, uk and international calls plus 8mg Broadband for just 19.99 per month. Which is cheaper than my BT telephone bill at the moment without broadband. You do not even have to pay BT for the line rental as this is also included. I am a casual surfer (not switched on enough to be anything else) and would like your opinions on this offer. Most other BB offers seem to cost £14-18.00 per month plus calls, so to me it seems a good deal. Has anybody had any experience with this deal? Am I missing something here? Any comments by members would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

d.steeley said:
Hi all, I have a new computer which I hope to get up and running soon. I would like a broadband internet connection instead of my old dial up, but which one? Carphone Warehouse seem to be offering a very attractive deal on their Talk3 International package which, from what I can make out, offers free local, uk and international calls plus 8mg Broadband for just 19.99 per month. Which is cheaper than my BT telephone bill at the moment without broadband. You do not even have to pay BT for the line rental as this is also included. I am a casual surfer (not switched on enough to be anything else) and would like your opinions on this offer. Most other BB offers seem to cost £14-18.00 per month plus calls, so to me it seems a good deal. Has anybody had any experience with this deal? Am I missing something here? Any comments by members would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dave
We've been with ntl for ages and have never had much cause for complaint - we'd be unlikely to change as everyone I know with ntl seems satisfied. What I like is that the ntl brodband comes via a cable and is totally separate from the phone line.

If you're stuck with using a BT line, then the Talk-Talk offer seems unbeaten so far. I've heard that they are not so hot for service and help enquiries but how often do you need that? I'd go for it, as they say! I think you have to wait a while, though, for the connection.

If you use a mobile a good deal, then you might consider also that Orange are offering totally free broadband with their monthly mobile phone contracts.

Hi Scampo,

I will tell you what i did, i am with ntl i phoned them up and asked for retentions, told them i was thinking of going to talk talk and could they offer me any deals and guess what i got 12 months free line rental [£14.50 a month] also i only pay £10 for the broadband, its worth a try!

S. G.

s.g. said:
Hi Scampo,

I will tell you what i did, i am with ntl i phoned them up and asked for retentions, told them i was thinking of going to talk talk and could they offer me any deals and guess what i got 12 months free line rental [£14.50 a month] also i only pay £10 for the broadband, its worth a try!

S. G.
Thanks for the tip - I've already done the deal! Can't beat ntl in my books!

Thanks for the feedback folks, unfortunately I need to use a BT line but the deal does seem very good. At the moment I pay BT well over £60.00 per quarter for just a landline and calls and I don't use the phone much. From what I understand the Talk Talk option should be no more than £60.00 per quarter and includes calls and Broadband.

Dave

We are in the process of changing from BT to talktalk at the moment. Will try to remember to let you know how it goes.

Talk-Talk may not be hot on fault service but they can't be any worse than BT Broadband. I've been with BT since the start and now the fault service is in a call centre in India the service is absolutely dreadful. I fixed the last problem on my own after getting nowhere with BT.

Give them a try they sound OK.

John.

I called NTL and told them I was going to another IT Provider and they reduced the cost to £9.99/month. They are also upgrading speeds in the next couple of months.
I've been with NTL for Broadband since it started and never have any trouble. Worth trying it on for anyone out there to reduce costs.

Phil

Tried that with FireflyUK (now looking incredibly overpriced) and they said "bye then" or words to that effect! So I'm in the process of moving material from their webspace so I can take 'em up on the offer ;)

Hi all, just an update. I now have TalkTalk Broadband and it works very well. I had a few problems setting it up using the CD provided but after a few unsuccessful atempts it just seemed to work ok. We have just been upgraded to 8 mgb so it whizzes now. By the way, the connection to B'band was within the timeframe originally stated when I first applied to TT.

Cheers

Dave

don't forget that the talk talk deal isn't available nationally and to check your speed go to www.adslguide.org.uk and run a speed test, if you run it at peak times you'll see exactly what your ISP is giving you
Steve

Thanks for that link, Steve,
I'm with PlusNet which was a very good deal when I started but looks expensive now. My speeds were:
Downstream 1,894.0 Kbps ( = 1.8 Mbps )
Upstream 243.1 Kbps ( = 0.2 Mbps )
I'm surprised at how slow the upload speed is (9 times slower than download). It may explain why I've been having probs loading stuff onto my web space.
I'm interested in the Sky BB package as it looks good value (free to Sky TV subscribers). Unfortunately it's not yet available in my area.
Ken

256Kbps is the standard upstream rate for the consumer BB services in the UK, the new DSL Max product from BT offers 800Kbps upstream apart from that you get in to the expensive realms of symmetric products.
Try another test off peak and see what you get then
Steve

Duke Leto said:
256Kbps is the standard upstream rate for the consumer BB services in the UK, the new DSL Max product from BT offers 800Kbps upstream apart from that you get in to the expensive realms of symmetric products.
Try another test off peak and see what you get then
Steve
I think you will find that 448 Kbps is now the standard upstream if you are on ADSL Max. I am getting around 400 Kbps upstream on mine.

Last edited:
Surreybirder said:
Thanks for that link, Steve,
I'm with PlusNet which was a very good deal when I started but looks expensive now. My speeds were:
Downstream 1,894.0 Kbps ( = 1.8 Mbps )
Upstream 243.1 Kbps ( = 0.2 Mbps )
I'm surprised at how slow the upload speed is (9 times slower than download). It may explain why I've been having probs loading stuff onto my web space.
I'm interested in the Sky BB package as it looks good value (free to Sky TV subscribers). Unfortunately it's not yet available in my area.
Ken
The upload speeds are always much slower, Ken - all suppliers are the same, I think.

Standard speeds for ADSL Max are:
8 mb/s Downstream (depends on the distance you are from the exchange)
448 kb/s Upstream

Roy, the upstream rate is not policed so there are no guarantees but as you say on DSL Max consumer products you could get 448Kbps, I have Max premium which gives me up to 832Kbps upstream. All other fixed rate products only give 256Kbps.
As for downstream rate whilst the advertised rate is 8128Kbps its impossible to get it at the IP layer, best you'll ever get is 7150Kbps which is the IP payload rate minus the DSL / ATM overheads. You'll need to look at the small print from the SP's to dicsover this...........
Regards
Steve

Surreybirder said:
Ken

Sky broadband is available in our area Ken and I am also interested. I have only heard of one person using it so far and that is only for a week,but so far they have had no problems. Keep you posted if I hear anything else.Unfortunately cable is not available in our area.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back