• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Ladybird thread (2 Viewers)

The harlequin ladybird

Hi I’m not shore if I have posted this before but you may find this interesting,The harlequin A new ladybird has arrived in Britain. But not just any ladybird: this is the harlequin ladybird, Harmonia axyridis, the most invasive ladybird on Earth. http://www.harlequin-survey.org/spread.htm
have a look at the Ladybird photos on my website, http://hughsphotoshop.com/
in particular look at this link, http://hughsphotoshop.freehostia.com/Gallery2/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=138
Hugh

Attachments

• E 2 800 DSC_1705.jpg
    E 2 800 DSC_1705.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 101
  • E 2 DSC_1814.jpg
    E 2 DSC_1814.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 93
I just saw this thread and am too lazy to read through all the posts. Just curious if those (in the old world) get the huge congregations of these beetles like we do in foothill parts of California. I've seen places with 1 to 3 inches of them covering quite large areas. Millions. Just curious............chris

That begs the question, "Which ladybird?"!
Things have changed over recent years and the multivariate Asian ladybird is now found in pest proportions over most of the temperate world.
However, until this beetle, Harmonia axyridis, was introduced to the Americas and Europe, the most abundant in mid-Western North America was the convergent lady beetle, Hippodamia convergens. This had the peculiar habit of flying to passes on the Rockies and elsewhere and congregating in vast numbers in the Autumn.
It used to be so prolific that garden suppliers would go and collect bucketsful to sell as a green 'pesticide'! I'd be interested to know how it's coping with the arrival of H. axyridis.

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/ent/biocontrol/predators/hippodamia.html

I just saw this thread and am too lazy to read through all the posts. Just curious if those (in the old world) get the huge congregations of these beetles like we do in foothill parts of California. I've seen places with 1 to 3 inches of them covering quite large areas. Millions. Just curious............chris

Last edited:
I'd say it looks like convergens. Sorry for my ignorance. Huge congregations are still common here in California. I've seen places where you could fill barrels - let alone buckets. There is a place in Sequioa National Park called, "Lady Bug". It's a campground at the correct elevation. It gets the swarms. Near my home (much further north) I've seen them in a place called Butte Creek Canyon. Just incredible.

Impressive Male Orang utan for your avatar Paul. My wife and I have been fortunate in being able to travel to Borneo 3 times. Still, by far ---- the best bugs I've ever had the pleasure to witness. Of all the red apes I've seen ----- one really stood out that resembled your avatar. The locals said 'he was ready to come down out of the trees'. Perhaps 40 years old. Definitely the largest face pads I witnessed.

There were times I would sit under trees and see (at a safe distance) these creatures defacate - hitting the forest floor. An incredibly green dung beetle would attack the green masses. Build the balls - and roll away. Magic.

Our last trip there - was wet ---- best bugs ever. I prepared some photo/descriptive Emails that I sent to friends. If anyone is interested - PM me and I'll send.....chris

Lots of ladybirds seen yesterday morning, in particular a 20 metre stetch of hedge & ditch on the Essex side of the River Stour I counted 82 7-spot Ladybirds & 8 Harlequins on the nettles, thistles, bindweed etc.
Hopefully this shows that the Harlequin isn't having much effect on the 7-spots?

Stuart

It looks like being a good year. There were hundreds of metamorphosing pupae along a stretch of the river Nene I noticed earlier this week. Had my first Orange Ladybird of the year in my moth trap this week (it's a regular visitor to light).

Good numbers of 7 and 2 spot ladybirds at a number of locations in Derbyshire over the last few weeks.Particulary at Dovedale,Carsington and Crich with over 30 seven spots in a small area in the meadow at the Millfield entrance to Carsington water.

Dave.

Lots of the black with red spots variety of Adalia bipunctata this year ( harlequin?)
I don't know if they are always common and I just haven't noticed before, or whether this year is a 'good year' for them.

Lots of the black with red spots variety of Adalia bipunctata this year ( harlequin?)
I don't know if they are always common and I just haven't noticed before, or whether this year is a 'good year' for them.

The 'harlequin' ladybird is Harmonia axyridis
- they are quite abundant this year. Adalia bipunctata is the 2-spot ladybird although it comes in several diferent forms: the black with four red spots form (melanic, quadripustulata) tends to be more common early in the year. The seasons are late this year - most ladybirds only just emerging in
Yorkshire!

Good to hear - they haven't been too common in the northern part of the county .... yet!
Can I make a plea for anyone who has observations of ladybirds from Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, South Yorkshire, London or Essex to let me have a note (e-mail) - species, location, number and any other info will be very useful in our ongoing studies!

Good numbers of 7 and 2 spot ladybirds at a number of locations in Derbyshire over the last few weeks.Particulary at Dovedale,Carsington and Crich with over 30 seven spots in a small area in the meadow at the Millfield entrance to Carsington water.

Dave.

Last edited:
The 'harlequin' ladybird is Harmonia axyridis
- they are quite abundant this year. Adalia bipunctata is the 2-spot ladybird although it comes in several diferent forms: the black with four red spots form (melanic, quadripustulata) tends to be more common early in the year. The seasons are late this year - most ladybirds only just emerging in
Yorkshire!

Thanks for that info on species Paul. The ones I have seen are the 'black with four red spots', the melanistic ones. So, i have yet to see a Harlequin Ladybird, well, not exactly true, I've seen the orange form, but not the black and red.

Had a surprise visitor in my conservatory today, an 11-spot Ladybird.
This was my bogey species, because despite searching had never managed to find one before!

Stuart

Attachments

• 3758178017_9c263e6edb_o.jpg
    3758178017_9c263e6edb_o.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 3758972424_7869130be8_o.jpg
    3758972424_7869130be8_o.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 85
Thankyou Dave.
Seen plenty of other ladybirds about recently, mostly 7-spot & Harlequin but also Adonis, 10-spot, 2-spot, 14-spot, 24-spot & Orange Ladybirds.

Stuart

Variation???

Can anyone help ID this unusual ladybird?
At first glance I thought it was either an Eyed or cream spotted ladybird but the black rings around cream spots tend to lead away from both species.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• unknown_ladybird-00002.jpg
    unknown_ladybird-00002.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 93
  • unknown_ladybird-00007.jpg
    unknown_ladybird-00007.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 88
  • unknown_ladybird-00005.jpg
    unknown_ladybird-00005.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Can anyone help ID this unusual ladybird?
At first glance I thought it was either an Eyed or cream spotted ladybird but the black rings around cream spots tend to lead away from both species.
Any help greatly appreciated.

It is Cream-spotted. Not one I see very often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back