• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mr Nakamura's invalid Swift and ditto Jacana (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
As a mere consequence, of the recent developments in thread Tanygnathus lucionensis koikei [here], Nobuhiko Osawa at the same time, simultaneously (somewhat accidentally), delivered a pure bonus!

In his PS he mentioned a certain Mr Yukio Nakamura, that he himself had met [!], as well as remembered as "Uncle Bird", which ought to be the guy commemorated in ...

nakamurai as in:
• "Hemiprocne major nakamurai" HACHISUKA 1930* [for the OD, see the attached excerpt (from a somewhat twisted scan, of p.172), even if it doesn't include any dedication, nor an explanation], a k a "Hemiprocne comata nakamurai", alt. "Nakamura's Whiskered Swift" (also by Hachisuka, in 1934, here, equally on p.172, also see Plate 29, fig.2).
• "Irediparra gallinacea nakamurai" HACHISUKA 1935*/** [here, on p.261; not published in "1932", as told on the Richmond card, here]; no out-spoken dedication, nothing but: "Collected by Nakamura, 2nd February 1930, ...".

Regardless of the lack of out-spoken dedications and/or other obvious clues; I suspect that we now, simply by Nobuhiko Osawa's reply, suddenly also, as a nice surprise, got an additional piece (a Death year) for the Japanese Ornithologist Yukio Nakamura [according to The Eponym Dictionary of Birds, by Beolens, et al (2014): "(b.1889)"], who apparently died in: "... 1974, 84 years old".

Not bad! What can one say? Having a clever and experienced neighbour is truly a good thing.

Björn

PS. James, if this additional fact (i.e his Death year) is/was included in the dear old HBW (now defunct, no longer Alive) Key, or if it's present in the MS for the future BoW Key is unknown to me (and impossible to check/verify). ;)

Either way; enjoy!

/B

still accurate, or not, is unknown to me.

**For publication dates/years of Hachisuka's latter work, see p.iv, in Vol.2, Part 1 (i.e. first link above),
apparently originally edited/published in four parts: "... Pages 257 to 469, published 31st July 1935."

--

Attachments

• nakamurai.jpg
    nakamurai.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back