• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

macclounii (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Maybe on the picture here p. 42 of 48

Postmaster, J. MacClounie, Gardener and Naturalist, comprised the entire European population of Zomba at the end of 1894, together with, of course, (sir) Alfred Sharpe who was acting as H.M. Commissioner and Consul General.

• Pogonornis macclounii (Shelley, 1899) here
  • Cossypha anomala macclounii (Shelley, 1903) here

According Eponym Dictionary of birds:

John M. MacClounie (sometimes McClounie) (b.1870) was a British naturalist who collected in Nyasaland (Malawi) (1895-1906), where he was research at the Zomba scientific department (1909). He wrote a report (1902) recommending that the Nyika Plateau, where he collected plant type specimens, should be declared a protected area. His recommendation was not accepted then, although much of the plateau is now a national park.

He wrote also A Journey across the Nyika Plateau

Question now. What was his middle name and when did he die? No idea where b. 1870 came from. Maybe he is from GARGUNNOCK?

P.S. A plant Brachycorythis macclouniei Braid described in The Genus Brachycorythis is probably also named for him. As well Eriochloa macclounii Stapf here may dedicated to him.

Last edited:
John Mackintosh Mcclounie
Mother
Annie Muir
Father
John Mcclounie
Baptism
9 Jan 1870 Free Church, Ecclefechan, Dumfries, Scotland

Burial
11 May 1941 Vancouver, Canada

Spelling is ambiguous

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/38738364/john-mcintosh-mcclounie

Name
John McIntosh McClounie
Birth
22/12/1869 (22 Dec 1869) Ecclefechan Dumfries and Galloway Scotland
Death
14/05/1941 (14 May 1941) Vancouver Greater Vancouver Regional District British Columbia Canad

Last edited:
McClounie's Barbet

He's not one of "my guys" (I'd never heard of him before), but I couldn't keep my fingers away ... ;)

And, after a few hours, I think Paul is (or at least could be) fully correct. :t:

Jobling's Dictionary of scientific names (Helm, 2010) says:
macclounii John MacClounie (fl. 1938) British naturalist and collector in Nyasaland 1895–1906 (Lybius).
Global Plants (here) has him as:
McClounie, John (fl. 1893-1903)
Also in the latter spelling of his surname, for example/s; here, here, here, here, here, here (on p.22), and here (on p.8), the latter with a reference to: McClounie, J. 1903. A Journey across the Nyika Plateau. The Geographical Journal 22 [No.4]: 423-437 (i.e. same piece as in post #1, but in full access, for everyone, even without a JStore account, here).

To me, McClounie seems to be (by far!) the most common version (even if the scientific names, on many taxa, also on non-birds, seems to prefer the mac-version). Note that the plant/herb that K. W. Braid described as "Brachycorythis Macclouniei Braid sp. nov." (1925) is/was collected by "McClounie" (see p.357, latter link in #1).

Also compare with the Common/Vernacular name McClounie's Barbet (or Mcclouni's ditto !?!), for the debated (Pogonornis) Lybius (minor) macclounii (SHELLEY 1899), a k a White-faced alt. Black-backed ditto, or (written as) Macclounie's Barbet.

McClounie is also the spelling (repeatedly) used by Shelley himself in his Birds of Africa (comprising all the Species which occur in the Ethiopian region), see for example in Vol. IV (part 1), 1905 (here), and by Rachel Warren (1966) in Type-specimens of Birds in the British Museum (for example/s; here or/and here), with the added; "J. M. McClounie".

Also see; "McClounie, John MacIntosh" (as of here), or/alt. (the correct way around) "John MacIntosh McClounie" (here), a guy who succeeded Whyte as forester and head of the Scientific Department, of the British Central Africa Protectorate ... and onwards, who retired in "1907" (alt. was a "Pensioner" in 1932), which would fit Jobling's phrase (above): "collector in Nyasaland 1895–1906".

As we've seen before; those Scottish Mc../Mac.../Mack.../M'... are always tricky to find, using the inflexible (strictly alphabetical) search engines of the net.

If he was one of "mine" I would write his name (and years) as: John M. [MacIntosh alt. McIntosh] McClounie (1869–1941).

For whatever it is worth.

Cheers

Björn
--

Last edited:
Martin, please check your second quote (in post #1) from/versus the Eponym Dictionary of birds.

Does it truly say: "... where he was research at the Zomba scientific departement" ... ?

Feels like something is missing. Either he was ... what, or he wasn't, but conducted/performed, or (was) doing (or equally) ...

A quote is a quote (letter by letter). ;)

/B

--

Last edited:
Johns son was:

Roderick Drummond McClounie
BIRTH 19 Mar 1904
Zomba, Southern Malawi
DEATH 13 May 1932 (aged 28)
Kamloops, Thompson-Nicola Regional District, British Columbia, Canada
BURIAL
Vernon Cemetery
Vernon, North Okanagan Regional District, British Columbia, CanadaRoderick Drummond McClounie

Zomba is a city in southern Malawi, in the Shire Highlands. It is the former capital city of Malawi.

It was the capital of first British Central Africa and then Nyasaland Protectorate before the establishment of Malawi in 1964

Martin, please check your second quote (in post #1) from/versus the Eponym Dictionary of birds.

Does it truly say: "... where he was research at the Zomba scientific departement" ... ?

Feels like something is missing. Either he was ... what, or he wasn't, but conducted/performed, or (was) doing (or equally) ...

A quote is a quote (letter by letter). ;)

/B

--

Indeed

"... where he was head of research at the Zomba scientific departement" ... ?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back