• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are Zen Rays 8x43 ED's really that good? (1 Viewer)

I think the members of this forum provide excellent quality control!! It is a shame that other companies don't pay attention to the posts here - Zen has an advantage in that area.

Dennis,

I am somewhat surprised that you liked them as well as you did, but not really, because I know what I see with them. I assumed (bad thing I know) more alpha comfortable folk would have had opinions more like oleaf and just said they good binoculars, not much more. But it is nice to see ones own opinions supported by someone else. I tend to agree about the eyecups as well. And yes the strap is just a bit longer than needed. My objective covers are evidently a better fit than yours.

BTW the ZEN ED will need the #6 Bushwacker. It is a tad bit tight, but the #7 is way too big. A bit of trimming will be needed around the front hinge contact area of the Bushwhacker to make it fit. That will not interfere with its ability to stay put.

Lulubelle

Dennis may well have meant Crooked Horn Outfitters instead of Bighorn. Eagle Optics sells them.

Dennis,

I am somewhat surprised that you liked them as well as you did, but not really, because I know what I see with them. I assumed (bad thing I know) more alpha comfortable folk would have had opinions more like oleaf and just said they good binoculars, not much more. But it is nice to see ones own opinions supported by someone else. I tend to agree about the eyecups as well. And yes the strap is just a bit longer than needed. My objective covers are evidently a better fit than yours.

BTW the ZEN ED will need the #6 Bushwacker. It is a tad bit tight, but the #7 is way too big. A bit of trimming will be needed around the front hinge contact area of the Bushwhacker to make it fit. That will not interfere with its ability to stay put.

Lulubelle

Dennis may well have meant Crooked Horn Outfitters instead of Bighorn. Eagle Optics sells them.

Yes ,it was Crooked Horn. They would fit the Zen Ray ED 8x43 because they are longer than most. Thanks for the correction.

Dennis

I haven't used the carrying case since it arrived. My binocular is always out on the bookshelf so I can easily grab it and go, while the case stays in the box, somewhere in the house, I think.

Glad to see the comments Dennis. Truth be told I was expecting much the same as Steve. I agree with all of your points. The eyecups are something I would like to see further refined. I don't feel they are poor quality but there is room for some improvement there.

The optics are glorious though, aren't they?

;)

Are you keeping them?

Glad to see the comments Dennis. Truth be told I was expecting much the same as Steve. I agree with all of your points. The eyecups are something I would like to see further refined. I don't feel they are poor quality but there is room for some improvement there.

The optics are glorious though, aren't they?

;)

Are you keeping them?

Yes. I compared them for hours to my Leica 7x42 BN's and I decided I liked the Zen Rays 8x43 ED better! The view with the ED glass is really fantastic. You know I think the technology is improving in binoculars with the better ED glass to the point where you can get binoculars that are actually better than the older alpha models for less money. I sold my Leicas for $850.00 today. The Bushmaster Objective covers from the Leicas fit the Zen Rays perfectly and I had a Crooked Horn case from the Leicas which works well for the Zen Ray. I picked up a Vero Vellini strap at Gander Mountain for the Zen Ray to deal with the long strap issue. I sent my review into Zen Ray and they were appreciative and said they appreciated the feedback and would work on the improvements I suggested. I tell you these binoculars are going to be putting the heat on the big three if they get the little problems solved. The customer service at Zen Ray is so refreshing after dealing with Leica or Zeiss or even Nikon. Here is the e-mail they returned to me after I sent them the review. Their strap recommendation really doesn't work though because the thick padded part of the strap is too long itself and I like to wear my binoculars mid-chest so it is still too long.

"Hi, Dennis,

Thank you so much for such a detailed review. I want to personally
thank you on behalf of Zen-Ray for your constructive criticism and
honest feedback. Those are invaluable tools for us to further improve
our product quality. What you wrote in your review below summarized
very well on areas we have started putting effort in for improvement.

For the long neckstrap, what we advise our customer is to use a
utility knife to carefully cut the stitches on the quickconnect. Once
you remove the quickconnect, you can run the short strap directly
through the buckle. The binoculars can hang at the right length.
Unfortunately, with this mod, you will loose the feature of
quickconnect."

Best Regards

Charles

That's what I call good customer service.

Dennis

Last edited:
Fair enough to say that the customer service at Zen-Ray is absolutely alpha quality! The desire to constantly improve the product and give phenomenal customer service will grow a healthy customer base. I think, with the modifications suggested by the forum experts, the ZR's will certainly give the alphas a true run for the bino bucks and be the better purchase!

Fair enough to say that the customer service at Zen-Ray is absolutely alpha quality! The desire to constantly improve the product and give phenomenal customer service will grow a healthy customer base. I think, with the modifications suggested by the forum experts, the ZR's will certainly give the alphas a true run for the bino bucks and be the better purchase!

The more I use the focus on the Zen Ray 8x43 ED's the better it gets. I am going to have to retract my statement about stiff focusing. It is much better than say a Leica and is now getting close to being as good as my Nikon 8x32LXL's. They fit nicely in the Crooked Horn case with the strap inside also. The Vero Vellini strap worked very well. I used the one without the snap off attachments and I have it adjusted about 4 inches above my belt line. It is a very nice simple strap. The Bushmaster objective covers fit nicely and I did not have to trim them at all. I really like how they work. Very easy to open, they do not come off and they really protect your lenses. The twist out eyecups just move a little in the clockwise and counter clockwise direction at each stop. They do not move back and forth. Probably only a 1/32 of an inch or so not a big thing but they could be engineered with tighter tolerances. These binoculars really have nice ergonomics and fit nicely in my hands. They are probably not the equal of the newer ED alpha binoculars I don't know I haven't looked through any but I would put them up against the Zeiss FL, Leica Ultravids, and Swarovski EL's anyday of the week. I know they are as good.

Dennis

I'm in the market for a second binocular as a backup to my coveted 7x42FL. I would prefer an 8x32 configuration, but an 8x42 might fit the bill, so long as it's reasonably light and compact. That said, what are the approximate dimensions of the Zen-Ray 8x42 ED? I cannot locate this information on their website (only their weight - 27.1 oz).

Like most, I want the most bang for my buck, and the Zen-Rays have me keenly interested based largely upon their price point and the favorable comments posted here. I do not want to spend more than $500, although at $800 the little Pentax 8x32ED looks nice, although not what I would consider a bargain (sorry, I digress).

Fyi, a major optics retailer based in Wisconsin currently has the Stokes 8x42DLS on sale for $499; I'm torn on whether to purchase the Stokes DLS (pros: smallish; reasonably light; good reviews; tested) or take the plunge and get the Zen-Rays (pros: reviews; price; open-hinged design).

All comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The ZEN ED I have measures at 6.5" long and 5" wide. It's about the same dimension as Swarovski EL. So it is definitely not "compact" by any standard. ;) I am surprised, however, that it feels light in hand. Maybe the open hinge design helps distributing the weight better?

Fyi, a major optics retailer based in Wisconsin currently has the Stokes 8x42DLS on sale for $499; I'm torn on whether to purchase the Stokes DLS (pros: smallish; reasonably light; good reviews; tested) or take the plunge and get the Zen-Rays (pros: reviews; price; open-hinged design).

Like falcondude says, the ZEN isn't small. Now if you like bang for your buck and if you are firm at $500, I have some suggestions.

The DLS is a nice glass and very definitely feels smaller than the ZEN, but its image is not quite the same, very close, but not there. It has a very fast focus wheel as opposed to the slower wheel of the ZEN. Definite ergonomic difference between the two. The images are probably close enough that you wouldn't be aware of any unless you had the two side by side. I haven't done that, keep in mind. I've looked through the DLS a number of times, but never beside the ZEN. The DLS is just about like the Razor optically.

Going compact at less than $500 there are really two binoculars there that have ever really caught my eye. One I own and have posted numerous times about is the Swift Eaglet 7x36. The other is the new Vortex Viper 8x32. You will need serious $$$ to beat either of these much optically.

While more than you want to spend, consider the Meopta Meostar 8x32. That is every bit as bright and sharp as any high end Euro for a fraction of their cost.

The final thought is that if you wait awhile, we may very well see a 30-ish version of the Chinese open bridge glass.

The ZEN ED I have measures at 6.5" long and 5" wide. It's about the same dimension as Swarovski EL. So it is definitely not "compact" by any standard. ;) I am surprised, however, that it feels light in hand. Maybe the open hinge design helps distributing the weight better?

If you look at a Swarovski 8.5x42 EL you are looking at a Zen Ray 8x43 ED. They look similar in color and size. So it is a pretty long binocular but it balances well and does not feel nearly as heavy as say a Leica 8x42 BN. For it's size it is actually quite light. I would bet the optics are as good or better than the Pentax 8x32 ED's.

Dennis

Thank you for the quick responses to my inquiry. Your comments and insight are appreciated.

I hadn't realized that Vortex released an 8x32 Viper. I went to the Eagle Optics website to check their specs and I'm impressed to say the least. Steve C, it sounds as if you're pleased with your little Vipers; is there a Viper 8x32 thread where I might garner additional information or might you offer additional information?

Sometimes I feel all the choices we optics aficionados have these days is more of a curse!

Sorry about the Viper talk in this, a Zen thread.

Steve, I queried '8x32 Viper' and quickly found your thread.

If you have anything to add about the Viper, I would appreciate it if you would do so (in your Viper thread of course).

I'm in the market for a second binocular as a backup to my coveted 7x42FL. Fyi, a major optics retailer based in Wisconsin currently has the Stokes 8x42DLS on sale for $499; I'm torn on whether to purchase the Stokes DLS (pros: smallish; reasonably light; good reviews; tested) or take the plunge and get the Zen-Rays (pros: reviews; price; open-hinged design).

I own both the 8 x 42 DLS (purchased at full price two years ago) and the 8 x 43 Zen Ray. The Zen Ray is optically wonderful, with a somewhat wider field and marginally brighter image than the Stokes. It also seems lighter and smaller than it actually is. If cost is a factor, there is no contest as the Zen Ray is $139 cheaper. The Stokes, however, has a higher quality feel and, with its fast and ultra smooth focus, is for me the handier birding glass. I liked the Stokes well enough, in fact, to have purchased the 10 x 42 DLS from that same Wisconsin optics retailer at $449, selling my Viper 10 x 42 to pacify my wife (a decision I do not regret as the Stokes is by far the better binocular).

Last edited:
I own both the 8 x 42 DLS (purchased at full price two years ago) and the 8 x 43 Zen Ray. The Zen Ray is optically wonderful, with a somewhat wider field and marginally brighter image than the Stokes. It also seems lighter and smaller than it actually is. If cost is a factor, there is no contest as the Zen Ray is $139 cheaper. The Stokes, however, has a higher quality feel and, with its fast and ultra smooth focus, is for me the handier birding glass. I liked the Stokes well enough, in fact, to have purchased the 10 x 42 DLS from that same Wisconsin optics retailer at $449, selling my Viper 10 x 42 to pacify my wife (a decision I do not regret as the Stokes is by far the better binocular).

I have been having a "Dueling Binoculars" competition every evening with my binocular collection. So far the Zen Ray 8x43 HD's have easily beat the Leica 7x42 BN's. I sold the Leica's. Now tonite I compared the Zen Ray's to my Nikon 8x32 LXL's for about an hour and the Nikon's came out a distant loser. The Nikon's are not even close to the Zen's! I like having a more compact pair of binoculars but it has me thinking about selling the Nikon's. The Zen's are that superior. The only binocular that holds a candle to the Zen's are my Nikon 8x32 SE's and in some ways the view of the Zen's is superior to the SE's! They are THAT good. The Zen's FOV is so huge and they are so sharp it makes for an amazing view.

Dennis

I would like to see a comparison of the Zen ED's to those Nikon EDG's in the link!!

Yes, if I could afford a pair of Nikon EDG I would like to compare them also. I believe they would have slightly better build quality like tighter eyecups but I don't think the optics could be much better than the Zen Ray's. Who really cares if the eyecups aren't as tight when you are saving about $1400.00?
You are right about binoculars losing value as they become older and newer technology replaces them. I paid about $1000.00 for my Leica 7x42 BN's but it was when they were still being made and the new Ultravid HD's weren't out yet. I was lucky to sell them for $850.00 because they are becoming old technology now. These newer Chinese ED binoculars actually give you a better view for way less money. Old binoculars are like old cars they simply depreciate in value as they age unless on the rare occasion they become a classic. The Nikon's have excellent build quality but are pretty heavy for their size. Really now the optics are a level down from these new ED binoculars.I can see that now.
What Chinese manufacturer makes a good 8x32 ED glass? I notice Zen Ray does not. Maybe I could sell the Nikons and get a 8x32 ED that would outperform them and still have a compact pair of binoculars.

Dennis

Last edited:
Dennis ..
How contrast compares between the ZEN and the LXL..?...I know that sharpness and CA control are better in the ZEN all the way...But the Contrast in the LXL ,if i remember well was just amazing...I still debating whether the Front focus action of the ZEN,and the exposed bright shinny grease exposed,is a bit of a reflection magnet .The large Exit pupil is very forgiving and by now i am quite good at placing the binocular in the right position and "navigating" the reflections,but if you look inside the binocular ocular from a distance you can see some halos and reflections(Henry Link pointed this to me ,and really ,you can see exactly what and where is illuminated inside the binocular),Perhaps more(internal reflections) than on the LXL or the Pentax ED...and Dennis,since you mentioned the pentax ED 8x32,the ZEN is definitely Sharper but the Pentax seems to me to have MUCH better coatings,and that translates in Contrast/flare control advantage,that is noticeable..it (the Pentax)perhaps has even less chromatic aberration,but they are both so close to none,that the difference is nothing worth to mention.
The Pentax eyecups are VERY similar in fit/feeling of those of the ZEN,and the ZEN focuser is better and feels more solid and better build than the Pentax ED..In fact Build quality seems better in the ZEN,.The ZEN is also easier to hold steady,it has the right mass and perfectly balanced.. The Pentax 8x32 was nice in size when you had to put it in a backpack,but to hold it steady,Was not very comfy(hands too close for me,got a bit shaky sometimes).
One thing is for sure,The ZEN is very,very easy to like a lot.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back