• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7x43 ED3's - Have you pulled the trigger ? (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
I ordered a pair today, just had to try them after reading FrankD's review. How many of you out there have pulled the bino trigger & done the same ? ..gwen

Last edited:
I ordered a pair today, just had to try them after reading FrankD's review. How many of you out there have pulled the bino trigger & done the same ? ..gwen

I have these on my radar, but they are sort of in a holding pattern in the background for now. I am waiting until I see how the new Prime HD does before I do much. I also think I'm pretty good to go with the 7x36 ZEN ED 2 for now for a 7x glass, and I like the fact it smaller than the x43 big brothers. I do wish the x36 would have made it through to the ED 3 configuration.

Gwen, thanks a lot for your support. I was surprised how well the 7x43 ED3 has been doing. Now, I am worrying that we may not fill all the orders by 11/15 when they keep on coming in.

Charles

I have these on my radar, but they are sort of in a holding pattern in the background for now. I am waiting until I see how the new Prime HD does before I do much. I also think I'm pretty good to go with the 7x36 ZEN ED 2 for now for a 7x glass, and I like the fact it smaller than the x43 big brothers. I do wish the x36 would have made it through to the ED 3 configuration.

Steve ... I would also purchase another 7x36 if it were to go to the ED 3 stage, with the 7x43 Iam hoping I will get just a bit longer eyerelief & a bigger ocular with be nice. A 8x32 ED 3 would also be interesting. I bet the the top 3 Alpha makers would like to see Zen Ray & vortex go away. The sales of the higher quality bins coming out of China must be reducing their profits ........gwen

Received the 7x43s

I received the 7x43 ED3s a couple of days ago. Didn't do any scientific testing but visually, backed with over 50 years of collecting binoculars, I thought the image was superb indoors and out in sunny and cloudy conditions. Great contrast, sharpness and brightness. One negative is the extreme eye relief. With the eye cups fully extended I still have to hold the binoculars a bit away from my face. I remember having to do this with my venerable Zeiss 7x45 Night Owls (sold several years ago). I wear glasses but never wear them when using binoculars. I think I will now start.
Any feedback from others about the eye relief?

This is the first post I have seen from anyone that has received a production unit of the 7x43. I didn't even know if they shipped on schedule....Charles never got back to me.

Any issues with them? Any play in the focusing mechanism? Are the dreaded crescents found in the first generation of the 7x36 ED2 noted under any conditions? Anything else to find fault with besides the long eye relief?

This is the first post I have seen from anyone that has received a production unit of the 7x43. I didn't even know if they shipped on schedule....Charles never got back to me.

Any issues with them? Any play in the focusing mechanism? Are the dreaded crescents found in the first generation of the 7x36 ED2 noted under any conditions? Anything else to find fault with besides the long eye relief?

I spoke to Charles before ordering these and he said the play in the focusing mechanism had been corrected in all models, and indeed there is no play at all in my pair. I could see no problems with them at all other than the eye relief.

Last edited:
Sweet.

Speaking of sweet, how wide would you estimate the sweet spot of image in focus and free of distortion is in your unit? 60%? 70% 80%?

I just want to see how the production unit stacks up to the prototype I reviewed.

I received the 7x43 ED3s a couple of days ago. Didn't do any scientific testing but visually, backed with over 50 years of collecting binoculars, I thought the image was superb indoors and out in sunny and cloudy conditions. Great contrast, sharpness and brightness. One negative is the extreme eye relief. With the eye cups fully extended I still have to hold the binoculars a bit away from my face. I remember having to do this with my venerable Zeiss 7x45 Night Owls (sold several years ago). I wear glasses but never wear them when using binoculars. I think I will now start.

Let someone who doesn't wear glasses try them and see if they have to hold it away from their eyes.

Bob

Sweet.

Speaking of sweet, how wide would you estimate the sweet spot of image in focus and free of distortion is in your unit? 60%? 70% 80%?

I just want to see how the production unit stacks up to the prototype I reviewed.

To my eyes the sweet spot appears very wide. Maybe 80%. But the overall image is so excellent that you just see this nice clear view and are not distracted by any possible out of focus area--at least I'm not.

good i hope to see some more good reviews,how are they in low light

I'm probably not the best judge of that because of my age. At 78 my eyes are not able to dilate as much as a younger persons'. But given this limitation they look fine indoors with limited light. I sold all my alpha binoculars a number of years ago, but doing a side by side comparison with my 7x35 old but excellent Bushnell Rangemasters, these are somewhat brighter--if that means anything.

Last edited:
To my eyes the sweet spot appears very wide. Maybe 80%. But the overall image is so excellent that you just see this nice clear view and are not distracted by any possible out of focus area--at least I'm not.

80% out? Catch me, I'm going to faint! Ugh. Too late, ouch, that's smarts.

The better of the two EPs in the two models I tried were sharp to 70% but gradually faded until going blurry at the very edge. Most of the edge could be focused out as field curvature.

User's accommodations of the field curvature are bound to produce different perceptions, but 80% would be fantabulous.

But here's the $64,000 question. How mild/severe is the pincushion distortion?

Is panning smooth or do you see the "Funhouse Effect"?

Tilting works even better. The best way to test for excessive pincushion to stand about 100 ft from a tree line and then tilt the ED3s up and down the trees. People's eyes vary in their ability to adopt to pincushion or rolling ball, but if you are sensitive to it and the pincushion is at the same level as the 7x ED2, you will experience a distorting effect as you tilt the bins.

Brock

Last edited:
80% out? Catch me, I'm going to faint! Ugh. Too late, ouch, that's smarts.

The better of the two EPs in the two models I tried were sharp to 70% but gradually faded until going blurry at the very edge. Most of the edge could be focused out as field curvature.

User's accommodations of the field curvature are bound to produce different perceptions, but 80% would be fantabulous.

But here's the $64,000 question. How mild/severe is the pincushion distortion?

Is panning smooth or do you see the "Funhouse Effect"?

Tilting works even better. The best way to test for excessive pincushion to stand about 100 ft from a tree line and then tilt the ED3s up and down the trees. People's eyes vary in their ability to adopt to pincushion or rolling ball, but if you are sensitive to it and the pincushion is at the same level as the 7x ED2, you will experience a distorting effect as you tilt the bins.

Brock

Well, maybe not 80%, this is very subjective. I'd be interested in the opinions of others

Last edited:
One negative is the extreme eye relief. With the eye cups fully extended I still have to hold the binoculars a bit away from my face.

I also have found the eye relief of my 8x43 ED3's to be TOO much. Like I've moaned about elsewhere, the trend towards longer and longer eye relief is a boon to many but a pain for those of us who don't wear glasses and like to rest the eyecups in our eye socket! thankfully with the 8x43 ED3 it's only a teensy tiny bit too long, so I can sort of rest them slightly on the bridge of my nose, a wee bit in front of my eye socket, and it works fine.

I received the 7x43 ED3s ............................................................ One negative is the extreme eye relief. With the eye cups fully extended I still have to hold the binoculars a bit away from my face. I remember having to do this with my venerable Zeiss 7x45 Night Owls (sold several years ago). I wear glasses but never wear them when using binoculars. I think I will now start.

I think this is a design problem and comes from the binocular's eyecups being too short for the eye relief

Eitanaltman also has the same problem and I have experienced it.

If you brace the eyecups up against the bottom of your eyebrow ridge with a very minute upward tilt of the binocular rather than pushing them back into your eye sockets when you use them it might be enough to solve the problem but if this does not work you will probably have to either go back to wearing your glasses while using them or try another brand.

Give it a try and experiment a bit with how you hold them up under your brow ridge.

Bob

Last edited:
I think this is a design problem and comes from the binocular's eyecups being too short for the eye relief

Eitanaltman also has the same problem and I have experienced it.

If you brace the eyecups up against the bottom of your eyebrow ridge with a very minute upward tilt of the binocular rather than pushing them back into your eye sockets when you use them it might be enough to solve the problem but if this does not work you will probably have to either go back to wearing your glasses while using them or try another brand.

Give it a try and experiment a bit with how you hold them up under your brow ridge.

Bob

Yes, that is what I've been doing with binoculars with long eye relief and you are right it does help.
I just ordered a pair of 8x43 ED3 for no logical reason at all. I just want them.

Last edited:
Yes, that is what I've been doing with binoculars with long eye relief and you are right it does help.
I just ordered a pair of 8x43 ED3 for no logical reason at all. I just want them.

Received the 8x43 ED3s and did a side by side comparison with my 7x43 ED3. The eye relief is definitely less with the 8x43s. (and better for non eyeglasses users). However overall I prefer the view with the 7x43s. sharper at the edges with less light fall off, and they just seemed to have an overall easier view. The 8s were fine too and if not for the side by side comparison I would have been very pleased with them. I'll probably sell the 8s at some point as I see no reason to keep both.

it does make sense that the lower mag bin would have the "easier" view. any other thoughts on the comparison between 8x43 and 7x43? any difference in center field sharpness, depth of field, etc? although if the 7x43 has even more eye relief that may be a non starter for me as the 8x43 is right at my limit.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back