• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Book advice (1 Viewer)

JonH

Hello All, I'm just back from a trip to chilly, foggy Poland. Some friends of mine have moved there and have a variety of birds visiting their garden. Although I could identify most of the visitors to them, I feel it would be nice for them to be able to do so themselves. Can anyone recommend a field guide, not too complex that would help them identify their new feathered friends of ( Northern ) Europe. Many thanks :t:

Jon, you could get any number of recommendations as to which is a suitable book. Everyone will be correct for a given definition of suitable. From other threads on the forum the concensus is that the Collins Bird Guide by Mullarney,Svensson et al is the bees knees in the field guide stakes. I would get this for your friends.

I fully agree with Keith. The Collins Bird Guide (To birds of Britain and Europe) I have it in front of me now, and often have. My first birding trip, out side of the UK, was to Poland in 2001 and I had the Collins Guide with me. It is all your friends will need I expect, but if they are interested in looking at very good book concerning Poland ask them to have a look at ''Portrait of A Living Marsh'' Artist For Nature. There are contributions from 32 international artists following their visit to North East Poland. Excellent book in my opinion which I would recommend to anyone who has the slightest interest in the conservation of the worlds wild places. The book focus is upon the Narew and Biebrza areas.

Cheers

Last edited:
Book Advice

Thankyou all for your replies, I know there are so many guides available, I thought a general concensus from other bird lovers would save me a lot of time. Hopefully I'll be able to purchase a copy and they'll have it for Christmas. Many thanks :t:

Hi Jon,

I got that book recently in Waterstones where they were advertising it as the best bird guide available. It was only later I realised from floks comments here they were right. How lucky was that?

Good hunting. B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back