• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Taiga 8x25 or HR WP 8x26 (1 Viewer)

Dave H

I'm looking for a sub £100 pair of lightweight bins for short walks and to keep in the car.

I've been doing some forum research and it looks like reverse porros are my best bet. I would be happy with standard porros but they would have to be very light.

Has anyone compared these two from Opticron? The HR are only around £25 more expensive. Is it worth it?

Be aware that the HR also has a significantly smaller field of view: 96 against 105 m (at 1000m), is heavier 396g vs 266g and bulkier.

Other waterproof reverse porro's are the Vortex Vanquish (available on Ebay UK) that has a wider FOV that the HR, and several models by Nikon (Ecobin, Prostaff).

I know zoom binoculars are not liked by many people, but I have a Nikon Eaglview and they are brilliant. Very crisp and clear. Off course as you zoom in the image gets shaker and darker, but the whole range is very usable.
Also, if you are in Dubai, the darkness will not affect your viewing experience as much as if you were in UK.

I use the Taigas as my car-bins. They are superb, sharp and bright, and although not waterproof, humidity isn´t something you need to worry about in your neck of the woods. The FOV is tight at 6 degrees, it´s fine but I wouldn´t like to go narrower. I had the Vortex Vanquish too, these were also excellent with a wider FOV, about 6.7 I think. Waterproof to boot. Bigger in the hand, but both the Taigas and Vanquish are very comfortable in the hand.

DaveH

Looking at where you are based what I am about to say may be aproblem for you. I think that if you try the HR WP 8x26, although they have a narrower field of the image quality is superb for a binocular of that price. Although a little larger (and the FOV)they out-perform the Taiga and of course are waterproof.

I have the Olympus PC I 8x25 (Tracker in America), which is the same as the Taiga 8x25. I find it excellent and would recommend it. It's very sharp and pleasant to look through. I haven't tried the HR WP 8x26, but as well as a smaller FOV, as Vaiar mentioned, it's bulkier and heavier and has a quite poor minimum focus of 3.5m. Against that, it's a hair sharper and contrastier than the Taiga, of better build quality and waterproof.

The only disadvantage I find with the Olympus is that it hangs toe-in around my neck. The HR WP looks to me as if it might hang better, but I could be wrong.

Michael

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I should have explained that I will be returning back to Glasgow from Dubai shortly. I suppose waterproof bins would be an advantage.

I'm leaning towards the vanquish...

Any last minute lightweight fullsize porro suggestions?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back