• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

American Flamingo (1 Viewer)

AlexC

Aves en Los Ángeles
Opus Editor
Caribbean Flamingo

Discussion thread for Caribbean Flamingo. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

-------

Can anyone reference how we got to the consensus of "Caribbean Flamingo" over "American"? I remember the conversatin but I can't find it. And I was reviewing the recent (2008) Clements, and they have it down as "American" despite Avibase's most recent listing.

I can't find a discussion on this either Alex.

Wondered if it had come up in one of my "Troublesome" threads but no trace.

D

Can anyone reference how we got to the consensus of "Caribbean Flamingo" over "American"? I remember the conversatin but I can't find it. And I was reviewing the recent (2008) Clements, and they have it down as "American" despite Avibase's most recent listing.
Although I'm not involved with Opus, I suspect this could be historical?

AERC (including BOURC, CAF, CSNA and STC) recognised Phoenicopterus roseus in 2003, leaving P ruber as 'Caribbean Flamingo' (actually recognised by CSNA since 1997). This name was also used by Cornell/Clements and BirdLife International.

In 2006, IOC recommended the name 'American Flamingo', which was adopted by AOU-NACC (and ABA) when it recognised the split in 2008. Cornell/Clements and BLI followed.

Richard

Last edited:
The printed version of Clements has Caribbean Flamingo, not American. If Clements has changed to American in the spreadsheet, then I guess we should change too.

However, I am not sure I understand why American is a good name: there are a total of four species of American Flamingos, and why the most tropical one should be a better choice for *the* American Flamingo is a little beyond me.

Cheers
Niels

However, I am not sure I understand why American is a good name: there are a total of four species of American Flamingos, and why the most tropical one should be a better choice for *the* American Flamingo is a little beyond me.
I fully agree with you, Niels. It seems to assume that the US has first call on the term 'American', even if the species is only marginal there.

Richard

Last edited:
The printed version of Clements has Caribbean Flamingo, not American. If Clements has changed to American in the spreadsheet, then I guess we should change too.

Cheers
Niels

Yeah, it's the speadsheet I'm looking at:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/Clements Checklist 6.3.2 December 2008.xls/view

And it's additionally listed under the subsection "speadsheet corrections" too - in both spots as "American Flamingo." I do agree though that the reasoning for "American" over "Caribbean" is asinine.

However, I'm looking over our consensus sources, and according to Avibase, H&M (3rd edition, corrigenda 8) still considers P. ruber and roseus to be under "Greater Flamingo" (P. ruber) - So with S&M being dated, it looks like we may have to merge the two by Opus standards.

Yeah, it's the speadsheet I'm looking at:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/Clements Checklist 6.3.2 December 2008.xls/view

And it's additionally listed under the subsection "speadsheet corrections" too - in both spots as "American Flamingo." I do agree though that the reasoning for "American" over "Caribbean" is asinine.

However, I'm looking over our consensus sources, and according to Avibase, H&M (3rd edition, corrigenda 8) still considers P. ruber and roseus to be under "Greater Flamingo" (P. ruber) - So with S&M being dated, it looks like we may have to merge the two by Opus standards.

Well, H&M is also on the dated side now, hopefully a new version will be out soon. I would change the name and leave it at that until H&M comes out ...

Niels

Well, H&M is also on the dated side now, hopefully a new version will be out soon. I would change the name and leave it at that until H&M comes out ...

Niels

We can apply the temporary "merge" template to it while we wait. No point in condensing information only to have to split it again.

Did some digging into "American" vs. "Caribbean" - here was the SACC's justification:
I recommend returning to the English name American Flamingo, following AOU (1957) and most earlier references, as well as Gill and Wright (2006), rather than using Caribbean, as done by Sangster (1997) and Knox et al. (2002). There is a population in the Galapagos, which is American but not Caribbean.
http://www.museum.lsu.edu/~Remsen/SACCprop345.html

So no U.S. claim of American - sincerely an effort to consider it a flamingo of "the Americas."

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back