• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feeding organisation in Great Crested Grebe chicks (1 Viewer)

Barbara Lee

Twice this spring I have seen Great Crested Grebe chicks being fed, and in each case when one of the parents (presumably Dad) surfaced with a fish, one chick detached itself from the group around the other parent and swam alone out to Dad and got the fish. There was no squabbling or clustering around like I expect to see with other birds. The chicks seemed to know "whose turn" it was. All very civilised. Almost against natural selection!

Does anyone know how this is organised by the birds? Is it a question of which chick is hungriest? Or is there some sort of signal that I didn't spot?

(The first time I saw it happen was with two well-grown young birds, and I saw two successive feedings - presumably a different chick each time but I hadn't watched them that closely. The second time was the feeding of just one chick out of four tiny ones - small enough for all four to get on their mother's back.)

Barbara

One possibility is that each chick was being fed to satiation in turn, starting with the hungriest/most vigorous & then working down the line. This would only apply, of course, if food were reasonably plentiful; if it weren't, more than one chick might be hungry at the same time & squabbling would ensue. Just my thoughts . . .

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back