• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bempton RSPB: now charging for entry??? (1 Viewer)

Alcina

Melkorendil
I was at Flamborough today and thought I'd pop into RSPB Bempton to buy a magazine. I haven't been there for a couple of years (I used to visit regularly when I was a carer, as it is a good place for a disabled birder to see breeding puffins). A notice on the new Visitors' Centre, beside the (enormously reduced in capacity for no apparent reason) car park, informed me that there was now a charge per person(!) to enter the reserve.

I came home and checked my OS map, which clearly shows the path from the car park to the cliffs is a Public Footpath. How is it legal to charge people to use a public footpath?

Is that charge also for members? If so I reckon my membership will be cancelled as it's the only reserve I travel any distance to visit. I use the bike to go to Fairburn and if the RSPB start whacking people for money then I'll switch to the BTO.

From the RSPB website:

"Before you visit:
• There is access to the reserve at all times.
• The Seabird Centre is open 9.30 am-5 pm in summer and 9.30 am-4 pm in winter.
• Admission charges are: £3.50 adults, £2 children, £8.50 family ticket (2 adults, 2 children).
• Free entry for accompanying carer/essential companion. RSPB members free." [my emphasis]

"Entrance on to the Visitor Centre and site is absolutely free for everyone from 1 November 2015 until 29 February 2016."

That's ok, I don't get much out of the RSPB apart from knowing my money is "well spent" and had been thinking of ditching my membership due to the Swillington Ings fiasco. As that might yet improve I'll hang on a little longer.

I was at Flamborough today and thought I'd pop into RSPB Bempton to buy a magazine. I haven't been there for a couple of years (I used to visit regularly when I was a carer, as it is a good place for a disabled birder to see breeding puffins). A notice on the new Visitors' Centre, beside the (enormously reduced in capacity for no apparent reason) car park, informed me that there was now a charge per person(!) to enter the reserve.

I came home and checked my OS map, which clearly shows the path from the car park to the cliffs is a Public Footpath. How is it legal to charge people to use a public footpath?

Well, the RSPB have invested in the facility and protect the habitat. I don't think it's unreasonable to charge non-members. I'm sure you could park elsewhere and walk in via the coastal path if you feel that strongly about it.

Having re read your post I realise walking in may not be an option for you. Didn't mean to be insensitive but my point still stands about paying for access.

Having re read your post I realise walking in may not be an option for you. Didn't mean to be insensitive but my point still stands about paying for access.

That's OK. The disabled birder who I used to accompany to Bempton is no longer with us, so I could walk if I wanted to. Though to be honest I find showing my Membership card an easier option!

I was just questioning the morality and indeed legality of charging people on a public footpath!

This change is just to raise more money, which I can fully understand if this was to go towards nature conservation, but I expect it is actually to pay for the new building, which to me does not really add to what was there before. Money well spent, I am not convinced.......

Anyway, back to the issue in hand, it was much simpler when they just charged you to use the car park, unless you were a member of course. Lets face it, apart from a small number of 'coastal walkers' virtually everyone drives and parks at the RSPB centre to visit the cliffs here.

Well, the RSPB have invested in the facility and protect the habitat. I don't think it's unreasonable to charge non-members. I'm sure you could park elsewhere and walk in via the coastal path if you feel that strongly about it.

Which some of us will. The cliffs are exactly the same as they were in the early 60's when I first visited. I take it the 'facility' is the new centre which many us of can live without.

Which some of us will. The cliffs are exactly the same as they were in the early 60's when I first visited. I take it the 'facility' is the new centre which many us of can live without.

The new visitor centre does nothing for me either, I haven't been since it was finished but presumably it is capable of stocking and selling more which is a long term investment.

The paths are maintained providing wheelchair access which is pertinent to the previous post and the viewing platforms allow for better viewing. Look at how many gannet and puffin photos are generated here every year.

Seems if you are willing to pay the oil companies for petrol to go see the birds its a bit tightfisted not to support the RSPB too.

The new visitor centre does nothing for me either, I haven't been since it was finished but presumably it is capable of stocking and selling more which is a long term investment.

Basically what it has extra is bigger loos and a proper tea room (putting the food van out of business |:(| ) I never saw anything wrong with the old loos (there was never a significant queue) and the new ones are inside so they will not be available when the centre is closed. Also, tha capacity of the car park has been massively and pointlessly reduced, in the process of building bike sorage areas, pretty verges and bollards, and neatly marked spaces.

So we are seeing the RSPB once more forging ahead in their wisdom... and shxxxing on the good stuff that was there before in their myopia. Well done you numpties it won't be long before you screw up everything completely.

So we are seeing the RSPB once more forging ahead in their wisdom... and shxxxing on the good stuff that was there before in their myopia. Well done you numpties it won't be long before you screw up everything completely.

I've only been once since it reopened. I'll have to check it again, as I thought the new car parking area was larger

I've only been once since it reopened. I'll have to check it again, as I thought the new car parking area was larger

It depends what you mean. The area (in the sense of ground covered) is larger, but huge areas are not for parking but for 'landscaping' or bike parking or anything else that the Royal Society for the Prevention of Birding can think of to look cool to (paying) robin-strokers but benefit neither people nor wildlife in the slightest.

I completely support the RSPB charging Non Members for entrance from the car park. If anyone feels as strongly as that they can use public transport and then walk in on the public footpath for free. It's only a small admission charge anyway.
Ian.

That's ok, I don't get much out of the RSPB apart from knowing my money is "well spent" and had been thinking of ditching my membership due to the Swillington Ings fiasco. As that might yet improve I'll hang on a little longer.

What was the Swillington Ings fiasco?

It depends what you mean. The area (in the sense of ground covered) is larger, but huge areas are not for parking but for 'landscaping' or bike parking or anything else that the Royal Society for the Prevention of Birding can think of to look cool to (paying) robin-strokers but benefit neither people nor wildlife in the slightest.

I really dislike these stupid labels, robin strokers, tree huggers, bunny strokers, etc, why try to belittle people who love and care for nature?.

I really dislike these stupid labels, robin strokers, tree huggers, bunny strokers, etc, why try to belittle people who love and care for nature?.
:clap::clap: Here, here and well said Keith .. these terms are derisory and offensive , in my humble opinion.

Happy Birding all,
Carol Baldock ( nee Rushton )

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back