• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox BD 15x58 ED BR (1 Viewer)

Hi Bob,
I have this binocular and I use it mostly for astronomy, although it's great in daylight too. Optical performance is very good with very little chromatic abberation. Stars focus down to tight pin-points. Even though it's a heavy instrument (about 1.5kg) it's quite well balanced and can be hand-held for short periods. The barrels are obviously quite fat to cater for the large objectives and I find this makes them very comfortable to hold (if you have large hands). For any prolonged viewing you'll need to mount them on a tripod or rest them on a bean-bag. The apparent field of view is about 60 degrees which, at 15x, provides a very impressive window. Eye-relief is very good for such a powerful binocular (stated at 16mm) and I can see the whole field with my (thin) glasses on. Considering it's a 15x58 it's a relatively compact instrument and this is certainly true compared to an equivalent porro-prism design. In terms of magnification I personally find the jump from 10x to 12x to be quite mild, but the jump to 15x is quite dramatic. Hope this is of some interest.
John

Hi Bob,
I have this binocular and I use it mostly for astronomy, although it's great in daylight too.

John

John:

I notice from your many posts you have considerable experience with various binoculars and spotting scopes. If you have the time, could you speak to the following.

Q1 I own a Garrett Signature 22x85 HD binocular, which I use for astronomy. The Garrett Signature series is comparable to the Oberwerk Ultra series. Because of several factors (size, weight, individual focusing, and nonED), the 22x85 is not a good binocular for viewing raptor and distant wildlife. In your opinion, how would the viewing quality of the Minox BD 15x58 ED BR compare to the Garrett Signature 22x85?

Q2 What is prompting me to look at the Minox BD 15x58 ED BR is I want more pulling power during the day for raptor and distant wildlife viewing. Several people are telling me to get a spotting scope. However, I would prefer to use a binocular rather than a spotting scope. In your opinion, how would the viewing quality of the Minox 15x58ED BR binocular (using two eyes) compare to something like the Kowa TSN-603 Prominar ED 60mm scope with a 20x eyepiece (using one eye)?

I appreciate any opinions you can provide.

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

Last edited:
Hi Bob;

Considering the size of the objectives of these, I would assume the carrying the Minox would be about the same as carrying two of the scopes. Might check on weight, I am not familiar with either of these.

Ron

Hi Bob;

Considering the size of the objectives of these, I would assume the carrying the Minox would be about the same as carrying two of the scopes. Might check on weight, I am not familiar with either of these.

Ron

Ron:

How would carrying two spotting scopes give me the benefits of binocular viewing, such as portability, hand holding, center focus, and larger FOV?

Also the cost of two Kowa TSN-603 scopes would be twice the cost of the Minox 15x58?

However, you are right about the weight--two Kowa scopes weigh about the same as the Minox (53 oz)

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

Last edited:
Hi;

Not suggesting carrying two scopes, just that the bins are going to be twice as bulky as the scope. If you could get a 15x eyepiece (again not familiar with these), you would get about the same FOV at half the weight and, I would hope, a little less money.

Ron

Last edited:
Hi Bob,
In terms of optical quality, my experience is that the Minox 15x58 approaches the quality of some of the top porro-prism designs such as the Fujinon 16x70 and even the Zeiss 15x60 (at least my sample does). Last year I travelled a very long way to look at a used pair of Zeiss 15x60 being offered for sale. I took the Minox with me, expecting it would be poor in comparison. I was surprised (and rather disappointed after my long journey!) to find that the Minox was brighter, crisper and had more natural colour. The Zeiss 15x60 was more than 10 years old so this may have been a factor. However, it confirmed to me that the Minox is indeed very good. In comparison to cheaper large binoculars such as Orion 15x70 it's in another league. I'm not familiar with the Garrett Signature 22x85 so I couldn't fairly comment.

I understand what you mean about preferring a binocular. Even though I have a good scope I enjoy the view more with powerful binoculars (that goes for astronomy too). However, the optical quality of scopes is very high these days so you'd most likely see a better image in something like the Kowa you mentioned. At the end of the day it really comes down to personal perference. A technically better image in a scope is no advantage if you don't like using it.

Hope that's some help.
John

Hi Bob. . .
At the end of the day it really comes down to personal preference. A technically better image in a scope is no advantage if you don't like using it.

Hope that's some help.
John

John:

Thank you very much for your suggestions. It certainly looks like the Minox 15x58 is the best of what is out there for raptor and extended wildlife viewing. The Fujinon 16x70 is also good--however it has yellowish color rendering and is individual focusing.

That leaves the Minox 15x58 at the top of the mountain. Unless, of course, you have the cash for the Kowa Highlander--which I do not!

Thank you for your suggestions.

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

I have the swarovski 15x56 & they are my favorite out of more than 20 bins i have .
They are truly an exellent binocular . Kind of expensive though.
Brian.

I have the swarovski 15x56 & they are my favorite out of more than 20 bins i have .
They are truly an excellent binocular . Kind of expensive though.
Brian.

Brian:

The Swarovski 15x56 looks nice. . .and, as you said, expensive.

How does it compare to a small scope? Say something like a 20x60?

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

P.S. Be sure to check in at the Cloudy Nights Binoculars forum. Kenny J has written a "nostalgic" post in your honor. B :)

Last edited:
The scopes start to get dim at 45x (the cheaper, the faster), so any scope will be pretty good at 20x. Most of them start at 25x with a zoom eye piece.

The 12x to 15x binoculars are probably nice at some fixed observation point, and you can in fact get more detail from two eyes than one. Your brain does all kind of neat stuff and tells you a summary of what it sees in stereo. I would still get more from a 20x scope.

The scopes start to get dim at 45x (the cheaper, the faster), so any scope will be pretty good at 20x. Most of them start at 25x with a zoom eye piece.

The 12x to 15x binoculars are probably nice at some fixed observation point, and you can in fact get more detail from two eyes than one. Your brain does all kind of neat stuff and tells you a summary of what it sees in stereo. I would still get more from a 20x scope.

I ordered a spotting scope today.

Kowa TSN-661 Non-ED Angled (66mm)
Kowa 30X eyepiece
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I fell prepared for the raptors this fall.

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

Last edited:
All i can say is that with maybe 20 odd binos & maybe 10 or more scopes Nikon takahashi pentax astro & spotters the last thing i would sell if i was desparate would be my 15x56 Swaros.
I do keep them mounted on a tripod though.
I have a takahashi 22x60 bino which would be more comparable to the x20 scope .
But given equal quality the bins of about equal power would always be my preferance.
Brian.

I ordered a spotting scope today.

Kowa TSN-661 Non-ED Angled (66mm)
Kowa 30X eyepiece
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I fell prepared for the raptors this fall.

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

One thing to keep in mind with hawks and such is that you need a wide field for birds in the air, I think you are OK. But you also need a tripod with a head that moves with a lever. I do not have that. The junior head or video head are like that.
http://www.helixcamera.com/tripods/manfrotto/manfrottohead.html
I don't have all those sorted out, and have seen only few. But you need the freedom to move but also the knobs to clamp it down when you want a perfectly unmovable scope.

There are myriads of people who visit Hawk Mountain near Reading, Pa. during the fall raptor migration period. I estimate that less than 1% of the serious birders (including casual visitors would make the estimate even smaller) have scopes with them.
Bob

Last edited:
All i can say is . . . the last thing i would sell if i was desparate would be my 15x56 Swaros. . .
I do keep them mounted on a tripod though. . .
But given equal quality the bins of about equal power would always be my preferance.

Brian.

Brian:

I hear what you are saying--the thought of one-eyed viewing is haunting me. However, so many people have said a spotting scope is the way to view raptors and distant wildlife. I thought I would try a Kowa spotting scope.

Recently I have been having some good views with a Garrett Signature 22x85 giant binocular: Wild Turkey, deer and blue jays at .75 mile; Turkey Vultures at 2.5 miles.

However, the 22x85 and a sturdy tripod/mount setup are a hefty 25 lbs. But trying a scope, I will be able to compare the scope view to the giant binocular view--optically as well as comfort-wise. [Watch the Cloudy Nights Binoculars forum for the field tests.]

Brian, thanks for your suggestions. I will let you know how the Kowa scope and I get along. If a scope is not for me, then I can exchange it for the Minox 15x58 binocular.

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

One thing to keep in mind with hawks and such is that you need a wide field for birds in the air, I think you are OK.

But you also need a tripod with a head that moves with a lever. . . you need the freedom to move but also the knobs to clamp it down when you want a perfectly unmovable scope.

Tero:

I have two tripod/mount setups:

Bogen/Monfrotto 3246 tripod/501 fluid head
Weight: 13 lbs
Supports: 13 lbs
Maximum height: 89" with center post extended
Maximum height: 70" w/o center post extended
Minimum height: 30"
Closed length: 32"
Color: Black
Levers: Two

Bogen/ Monfrotto 3001 tripod/3126 micro fluid head
Weight: 5 lbs
Supports: 9 lbs
Maximum height: 57" with center post extended
Maximum height: 46" w/o center post extended
Minimum height: 14"
Closed length: 21"
Color: Silver
Levers: One​

I am planning on using the Kowa 661 scope on the 3001/3126 setup, which is an older tripod from my 35-mm format photography days.

This should get me past the field testing stage and into raptor viewing.

Tero, thanks again for all of your help. Next week I am going to make a call on a zoologist who heads the Kentucky Ornithological Society. As you suggested, I will be joining this group <they have a local listserve of bird sightings> and the local chapter of the Audubon Society.

Do you have any other good suggestions?
<I decided not to get the bird vest and bird hat--at this time! :gh:>

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

There are myriads of people who visit Hawk Mountain near Reading, Pa. during the fall raptor migration period. I estimate that less than 1% of the serious birders (including casual visitors would make the estimate even smaller) have scopes with them.
Bob

I guess I am in the 1%.

Really, I want to try a spotting scope. If it is not for me, then I will trade it in for a 12x or 15x binocular.

I would love to come to Hawk Mountain someday. It looks like you guys really have your act together up there. :t:

Thanks for your suggestions.

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

Well, you have enough optics, now field work! The scope will be most useful in the fall for ducks and such, wherever you have big lakes around your area.

I am headed for Carlyle Lake in Illinois next week, my one and only organized boat trip the past two years. No scopes on the boat, maybe one by a leader. Scopes will be brought out for the when ashore.

They are truly an exellent binocular . Kind of expensive though.
Brian.

These are amazing binoculars! After trying several "Giant" binoculars for astronomy (casual observation), I ended up with a Swaro 15x56 Neu. The Fuji 16x70 is superb for astronomy, but the individual focusing limits its usefulness. The Swaro 15x56 is superb for birding as well, and feels positively miniature after handling a 16x70. Keeping in mind that the 15x56 SLC is only 4.5 ounces heavier than the 10x50 SLC (and feels no larger in ones hands), the 15x56 is a beautifully engineered instrument. Only the 10+15x50 Duovid comes close optically, but it doesn't equal the Swaro in terms of FOV and brightness. The Minox 15x58 ED is an excellent value, but is less bright, less sharp and has more CA than the Swaro). If you can afford it, you will never regret aquiring a 15x56 SLC.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back