• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod head for macro (1 Viewer)

skywatcher

I've trawled the threads but still can't find an answer to my problem. I have a Manfrotto 190pro B tripod (not the carbon fibre one) and I'd like a head that would serve me well for macro work. At the moment I'm learning to photograph fungi. Ideally I'd like something fairly simple and light with a qrp and the ability to do portrait. I bought a Gitzo 2272M but I've found it difficult to deal with (so may sell it on).

Any suggestions would be very welcome.
Skywatcher.

I've trawled the threads but still can't find an answer to my problem. I have a Manfrotto 190pro B tripod (not the carbon fibre one) and I'd like a head that would serve me well for macro work. At the moment I'm learning to photograph fungi. Ideally I'd like something fairly simple and light with a qrp and the ability to do portrait. I bought a Gitzo 2272M but I've found it difficult to deal with (so may sell it on).

Any suggestions would be very welcome.
Skywatcher.
Hi,
I use a Seben ball head trigger grip fitted onto my Benbo Trekker for macro as its very easy to setup and very stable and very well built, i bought mine on Ebay for around £35.00 and well worth the money.
Cheers
Brian

ballheads tend not to be the best for macro as often they have a small amount of dip which occurs on the vertical plane - this happens just after you position the kit - lock the grips and then take you hand away from the kit - its not noticable in normal shooting as the dip is very very slight - but with macro its very noticable and a pain to have to work with.
Quite a few macro shooters recomend geared heards for macro work as they are more precise than ball or 3 way heads are - go for something like the manfrotto 410 junior geared head should be perfectly fine for macro work. The next model the 405 will take a higher load and is more accurate, but its more costly and heavier as well - and you won't need the extra load capacity for macro gear.

the 410:
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/off/pid/2344?livid=80|81&idx=85

the 405
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/off/pid/2345?livid=80|81&idx=85

Same as Brian, I've a joystick ballhead (I've even the Benbo Trekker!) which is great for macros. It is heavy, so if I go walking all day I've a standard ballhead the other end of the Benbo, remove the joystick and use that instead. Both are perfect on the Benbo for macros, using both my Sigma 105mm and 150mm! :)

I use a Markins M10 for macro and it works very well. There are cheaper alternatives, though be careful of Chinese heads as some are poorly made. Cullman Magnesit look nice though I have never used one. It is worth having the Arca Swiss quick release system for convenience/sanity.

I have used numerous ball heads for macro work and never had any real problems with droop, so to speak, though it does occur on cheaper units. You can use an L-bracket too. Novoflex do an inexpensive one.

I second the Benbo route - use the full size models (drooping impossible), a really big ball head and sometimes a second mini-tripod under the head if the centre column is at full extension as it usually is (helps to damp out any possibility of vibration or casually knocking it out of alignment).

Benbo used to do a very nice 4 way head (think of a 3 way head with the camera platform also revolving) which is my favourite macro head.

For studio work I used to mount the camera on a ratchet driven slide for precise framing but unless you are working really close you may prefer to save the cash.
J

For studio work I used to mount the camera on a ratchet driven slide for precise framing but unless you are working really close you may prefer to save the cash.
J

Chinese focus rails on ebay are quite decent and better than European units costing twice the price. I have the Velbon unit which is very usable. A rail is needed when close to 1:1 and beyond.

Wow! What a terrific string of responses. Thank you all so much! I'm going to follow up this little lot this week. I'm a bit wary of ball heads so may go for the geared 3-way type. I'm certainly going to insist on trying things out before I commit so will probably try Fixation which is near me where staff are well informed (and patient!).I was on a fungi macro workshop in a beautiful Sussex wood yesterday and it was clear I need to get this problem sorted!
Thanks again,
Skywatcher

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back