• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alpha Binoculars - Are they worth it ? (2 Viewers)

I do not agree with that.

Buying a pair of bins is more then the optical quality.
You also should consider the build quality and the service.

When a binocular scores highest om optics, build and service, then your talking about a true alpha binocular or a premium binocular.
"When a binocular scores highest on optics, build and service, then your talking about a true alpha binocular or a premium binocular"

Swarovski. "There is only ONE!"

A few days ago I compared Conquest HD 8x42 to Victory HT 8x42. The latter is twice the price.
I perceived Victory HT as a tad sharper than Conquest HD. Inside the warehouse I had hard to see difference in brightness, though. So the difference is there but is it worth it?
Conquest HD is a mid-priced binocular with performance very close to the best. Sharpness can't be much better. But as we know when it comes to higher class optics: achieving a very small noticeable improvement it demands a large cost.
I am a bit tempted to get Victory HT, even if I am very satisfied with the Conquest HD. The price is high for the small improvement, but there will probably never be made a noticable sharper and brighter binocular...

I have been using a Victory HT 8x42 for a few months now. I also thought about saving some money by buying a Conquest HD. Luckily I had the opportunity to try a variety of models outside on an overcast day.

The HT was clearly brighter and sharper than anything else. The only binocular to come close was the Swaro SV, but to my eyes the HT was the best choice and I laid my money down.

I am still as impressed with it now as when I bought it, and I wouldn't change it for anything.

Sandy

A bright store will produce around 1.000 lux, mayby 2.000 lux. A bright day without clouds in Northern Europe can be 10.000 lux. This can make a big difference in CA and contrast.

I think there is a bigger differences between indoor and outdoor light levels than your figures suggest.

Generally store lighting would typically be 300-700 lux, though particular displays might be around 1000 lux. I've often measured over 20000 lux on summer days and occasionally over 50000 here in England but the more pertinent point is that the eye's peak acuity is around 300cd/m2 which would approximate to 3000 lux illuminating target. To some extent above, and particularly below this level, acuity is impaired. I know I am quite unable to assess relative sharpness in a store environment and generally the spectrum of the artificial lighting can distort other comparisons. Stores are fine for checking out ergonomics and stuff but you need to get outside in a range of conditions to see what an binocular can do optically.

David

I think there is a bigger differences between indoor and outdoor light levels than your figures suggest.

Generally store lighting would typically be 300-700 lux, though particular displays might be around 1000 lux. I've often measured over 20000 lux on summer days and occasionally over 50000 here in England but the more pertinent point is that the eye's peak acuity is around 300cd/m2 which would approximate to 3000 lux illuminating target. To some extent above, and particularly below this level, acuity is impaired. I know I am quite unable to assess relative sharpness in a store environment and generally the spectrum of the artificial lighting can distort other comparisons. Stores are fine for checking out ergonomics and stuff but you need to get outside in a range of conditions to see what an binocular can do optically.

David

You're absolutely right.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back