• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox BD 8.5x43 BR Asph. Argon filled etc. (1 Viewer)

Hogjaws said:
pezzer,

How are the other optical qualities of this bino? Does it have much CA when viewing challenging objects? How is the apparent depth of field? How is it in low light conditions? Can you do a comparison with some other brand? Also, does it "feel" sturdy?

I am just curious, the Minox sounds like a nice little package. I wonder how it would compare to the Meopta B1.

Thanks,

Hogjaws

Sorry I've been absent. Hogjaws askes about the Minox I recently purchased. I've noticed zero CA though I've never really noticed CA in other binos much either so I may be a poor judge. The image is very very clear and the focus brings me from a distant slope to a small bird in my front shrubs with ease. Low light they work nicely. These are very solid and attractive binos with an excellent image. I want to get a better case for them, but this is secondary.

I don't know the Meopta B1 but I did view the Pentax DCF?, Kahles, Leica and others and, considering my skills, budget and needs, either the Kahles or Minox were choice options. I chose Minox. I know the Kahles has a nice case (secondary) and very nice optics and a higher price. The Minox is terrific for a mid-upper $500's product. I'm very pleased.

I talked to Eagle Optics about the Minox ALT's. They said the optical view quality is almost the same as Pentax DCF SP, which are very good mid-rane binos.

I have a question...

Several of the Minox Roof Bins I've looked through had a decidedly "blue" cast that is quite noticeable compared to the more "neutral" cast of my Leica's... is this designed for more contrast and/or am I the only one who's noticed it?!?!

Thanks,

BA

Brad_A said:
I have a question...

Several of the Minox Roof Bins I've looked through had a decidedly "blue" cast that is quite noticeable compared to the more "neutral" cast of my Leica's... is this designed for more contrast and/or am I the only one who's noticed it?!?!

Thanks,

BA

No blue cast in my two pairs. In fact I've found the images from Minox bins to be remarkably neutral. I think it's likely we all have a slightly different colour perception though. Most people even have a slightly different colour balance in one eye from the other.

solentbirder said:
Most people even have a slightly different colour balance in one eye from the other.

Dang, so that's what it is! I thought i was crazy...I see more golden and yellow with my right eye, and less color with my left eye, but only in bright sunlight.

Otto McDiesel said:
Dang, so that's what it is! I thought i was crazy...I see more golden and yellow with my right eye, and less color with my left eye, but only in bright sunlight.

Hi Otto,
Yes, we're all different it seems. For me, I see better colour and better contrast with my left eye, but better resolution with my right eye. This is rather frustrating as I'm a keen star-gazer and I look through the telescope with my right eye. Detection of many astronomical objects relies on contrast differences so I know I'm not seeing everything I could. I've tried to look through the scope with my left eye but I just can't do it for long. I wonder if anyone has managed to re-train their vision so the naturally dominant eye is switched over ?
Cheers
B :)

Minox Binos

Otto McDiesel said:

Otto,

What are your observations on the Minox line of roof prism binoculars?

Hogjaws

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back