• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox Porro's (1 Viewer)

so so fov for 8x44

Luca said:
Beware of the narrow field of view of those Minox porros. They are good optically and are a great concept, but looking through them is like looking through a pipe. I would like to see those with 8* FOV eyepieces.

Thanks for the caution Luca, but 337 fov is in the lower limits of the bins lucznik posted and for kayak use where they may quite easily be lost, I'm not considering an expensive bin yet. Any ideas???

Thanks
Nick

Luca said:
Minox BL 8x32, 393 ft or so of field of view.
Regardless of opinions, try to see any binoculars before buying.

The 8x32 only have 15mm ER, I wear glasses and from experience I need at least 17mm. Without that I lose the FOV anyway.

What do you think about the Pentax SP 8x32 (17 mm ER)?

Nick

Nickolas said:
The 8x32 only have 15mm ER, I wear glasses and from experience I need at least 17mm. Without that I lose the FOV anyway.

Nick
Hi Nick..if you are interested in the Pentax SP 8x32,there is a pair for sale in WWW.ASTROMART.com for sale,350$ is a good price for these....they are in the binoculars/classifieds .......i thought you may be interested..........

Nickolas said:

Nick

Sounds good to me, if you need long ER.
In a boat or a canoe you need low power and wide angle. Maybe the Leupold 6x30 is the best choice, long ER, and it costs $100.

Nickolas said:
Hi Simom,

I've read your post where you posted the specs (weight 800g/1.76lbs) for the 8x44 porro, but on below miinox website it states the weight is approx 690g/24.34 oz

http://www.minox-web.de/minox2002/index.phtml?&&speechchange=e&sprache=e

(you have to go to the left at go to sports optics and click 8x44)

I see you say they are a bit heavy, did you scale yours?

BTW - What do you think of them now? I'm thinking of getting a pair.

Thanks,
Nick

Hi Nick,
Yeah, the weight is definately 800g. After several months use, I still love 'em as much as when I got them. The narrowish field of view doesn't bother me at all. They're definately the best in my price range for my eyes. The eye pieces have never accidentally moved once extended (I dont wear specs), DOF is excellent making the need to focus an occasional event once I've set it at a mid distance (or whatever the habitat dictates).
I'd suggest trying them out.. maybe at BirdFair? :)

-Si

Mini review- Minox porro

I did try a nice bin- the New Minox porro 8x44 very very nice for about $370 dollars. The negative things about the Minox- FOV is terrible and they are very heavy. The Minox put ridges around the eyecups that hurts the bridge of your nose after a while. But they have a beautiful view- sharp, 3D and very bright. The porro system is best but the design needs more work. Also compared the Minox eye relief to the Legend. Minox is not being very honest about eye relief it is more like 16mm not 18.5 mm like their website says. Minox are made in Japan. Wow!

Does anyone have the minimum IPD specs for the 8X44 model? Minox doesn't respond to my emails or publish the information.

TIA
John

John Traynor said:
Does anyone have the minimum IPD specs for the 8X44 model? Minox doesn't respond to my emails or publish the information.

TIA
John

Gimme an hour or so and I'll get them for you.

If you need any Minox info, email us here at Minox UK - it's usually quicker than going via Minox Germany.

ATB,

Dave.

davem said:
Gimme an hour or so and I'll get them for you.

If you need any Minox info, email us here at Minox UK - it's usually quicker than going via Minox Germany.

ATB,

Dave.
Dave,
TIA
John

John Traynor said:
Dave,
TIA
John

Without a doubt, the longest hour I've ever experienced.... ;)

However, the IPD on both pairs of Porros 8x44 & 10x44 are as follows...

Minimum: 56mm

Maximum: 73mm.

HTH,

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back