• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox HGs out now! (1 Viewer)

I'd really be interested in a comparison between the Minox HG 8.5x43 and the Vortex Razor 8x42 that have been getting so many good reviews lately. Maybe Doug has had a chance to stack these? I want to upgrade from my Pentax SP's, but don't have the funds for the top three. The Minox and Vortex are the last 2 on my short list - I guess I have a thing for x's.

BW,

I would love to be able to compare the Minox HG 8.5x43 with the 8x42 Razor. My only real reservation with Minox bins in the past is their relatively narrow field of view. I know many of the full size and oversized lower cost Minox's had relatively narrow fields of view in comparison to many other bins in their price class. I seem to remember the full sized HGs also falling into this group but I could be mistaken. At the moment the Razors and the Meoptas are my two favorites in this price class though I still would enjoy comparing the HGs and possibly the Pentax EDs to them.

Frank,

That is the one thing that worries me about the Minox. If I remember right, the field of view is about 340ft, compared to 410 on the Vortex. But that wise ol' Doug put a Minox HG brochure in with the spotting scope and rangefinder I got from him, so that "spend all my extra money" bug is kicking in again.

Big_Whip said:
Frank,

That is the one thing that worries me about the Minox. If I remember right, the field of view is about 340ft, compared to 410 on the Vortex. But that wise ol' Doug put a Minox HG brochure in with the spotting scope and rangefinder I got from him, so that "spend all my extra money" bug is kicking in again.

The Minox site lists the FOV at 6.1 degrees fo the HG 8.5 x 43, if my math is correct that is 364 ft. at 1000 yards.

Happy Trails, Jeepnut

Same here. Darn. :-(

The 8x32 model has some pretty impressive specs though and that little rangefinding feature would be a nice practical addition.

FOV calculation

MacGee said:
Jeepnut, I make that 106m at 1000m, or 319 feet at 1000 yards.

Michael.

Michael

Thank you for the correction. I concur with your numbers. You have given me cause to review my algorythm. Instead of computing my own constants, I extrapolated published numbers and do not recall the source.

Today I used:
( 2 x pi / 360 = 0.017453293 ) x radius = FOV / degree at distance(radius)
17.453293 meters per degree at 1000 meters or
52.359877 feet per degree at 1000 yards

Happy Trails, jeepnut

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back