• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

do red tail hawks attack in pairs the way haris hawks do (1 Viewer)

scuba0095

Does anyone know if red tail hawk will work in pairs and attack large game the way a haris hawk would?

If so what time of year do they usually start the team work?

From what I have read I believe that type of behavior is pretty close to unique with Harris' Hawks. And I think it is typically family groups that work together, not a pair.

Best,
Jim

Wedge's and RT's are completely different from one another. It all depends on social groups. Typically, Harris's live in social/family groups. RT's are solitary, except during mating season, they don't live in family groups.

I've noticed since about a month ago that two redtails seem to have "paired up" in the same location. I've also noticed that about half the time that I spot them they seem to be sitting in opposite trees overlooking a little big of meadow.

I could imagine them feeding at the same time, working together, and/or going after the same prey.

What time of day is it best to try and spot them feeding?

How often would an adult RT need to feed?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back