• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long lens technique (1 Viewer)

tomkeet

Long lens technique, in short as I understand it “Rest your hand on the lens barrel above the tripod head to stop vibrations travelling through the lens, use an eyecup and press your eye against it and finally roll your finger when firing the shutter.”
Moose Peterson excellent page: http://www.moosepeterson.com/techtips/longlens.html
Now, what if you were to use your index finger resting on the lens barrel above the tripod head to fire the shutter? Then maybe reduce shutter induced movements further. Tried using a remote shutter release and resting my hand on the lens barrel at the same time, but found it quite fiddly.
Could not find a commercially produced lens mounted shutter release. Only option was to try and make one and this is what I ended up with!!

One old shutter release cable, two tactile switches, strip of aluminium (or plastic), four screws, felt and glue.
The second switch is for AF.

Attachments

• Offlens3.jpg
    Offlens3.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 143
  • Offlens2.jpg
    Offlens2.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Offlens1.jpg
    Offlens1.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Mounted.jpg
    Mounted.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 112
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back