• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 8x32 Swarovision (1 Viewer)

mosschops

Guys,
I am reliably informed that a new 8x32 EL Swarovision will be out next year. Sorry but I can't be more precise with the date or a price but that will explain why some retailers are running down their stocks of these.

Guys,
I am reliably informed that a new 8x32 EL Swarovision will be out next year. Sorry but I can't be more precise with the date or a price but that will explain why some retailers are running down their stocks of these.

Its been on the cards for a while, i'm looking forward to taking one for a test drive!.
Roll on 2012!! ;)

More like summer 2012 a Swaro sales rep told me. He says Swaro cannot keep up with demand, especially the new 8x30 CL and the Rangefinder bins. Personally I found the FOV too narrow on the CL. A good but not great bin.
I liken Swarovski to the Apple brand. Good quality and stylish with a huge following which people will buy anyway due to the name. Maybe we'll have an i-bin soon...

More like summer 2012 a Swaro sales rep told me. He says Swaro cannot keep up with demand, especially the new 8x30 CL and the Rangefinder bins. Personally I found the FOV too narrow on the CL. A good but not great bin.
I liken Swarovski to the Apple brand. Good quality and stylish with a huge following which people will buy anyway due to the name. Maybe we'll have an i-bin soon...

Patience is certainly a virtue!, in the meantime i will have to console myself with my 12xSV!!!...

See the special offer is on now for the 8x32 ELs That suggests stock is definitely being reduced to make room for the 32mm Swarovisions. Looking forward to trying them out.

I just tried some EL 8x32 Travellers and really liked them and was going to order a pair. Now undecided whether I should wait until next summer. Having said that I tried the 8.5x42 Swarovision and wasn't blown away by them. Anyone like to offer advice?

I just tried some EL 8x32 Travellers and really liked them and was going to order a pair. Now undecided whether I should wait until next summer. Having said that I tried the 8.5x42 Swarovision and wasn't blown away by them. Anyone like to offer advice?

I sold my 8x32s to buy a pair of 8.5x42 Swarovisions and while they were slightly better optically I ended up selling them and going back to the 8x32s as the overall package was better for my needs. The view through the smaller optics is superb and when used with a harness you can carry them all day.

I sold my 8x32s to buy a pair of 8.5x42 Swarovisions and while they were slightly better optically I ended up selling them and going back to the 8x32s as the overall package was better for my needs. The view through the smaller optics is superb and when used with a harness you can carry them all day.

Same reason I went back to the Zeiss 8x32 FL's. Smaller optics are almost as good and a whole lot less weight.

If you weren't "blown away, what more can I say," by the 42mm Swarovision, I don't imagine you would be by the 8x32 SV EL's - unless your beef was the "rolling ball," in which case it remains to be seen whether or not the 32 SV EL will have the "waving mustache" or not. The 8x32 HG has significantly more pincushion than the 8x42 HG so the panning is smoother in the midsized model.

Right now, 8x32 ELs are being discounted to clear the shelves for the SV EL. Once the supply dwindles, the discounting might stop, particularly if the SV EL has "rolling ball" and those sensitive it want to go "backa" to the EL version.

I liked the 8x32 EL best out of the four Swaros I tried (7x and 8x30 SLC and older 8.5x EL), but at $2K, they were beyond my budget, and I think overpriced.

The discounting hasn't yet reached the limbo point for me, and I still want to try an 8x32 EDG, but if the "Price Is Right" for you, go fer it. If you later try the 32 SV EL and decide its worth the steeper price, the Traveler is likely to retain most its value and you can sell it or trade it in.

That's my two Euros.

Brock

Just ordering my El 8x32 Travellers today. Thanks

You won't be disappointed. I've been using 32ELs for 7 years and, in my humble opinion, they are peerless bins! Superb ergonomically and optically. In the event that the 32 SVs are a worthwhile improvement over the ELs, they'll be the ones to beat - if you have the cash for them - though if the perceived vfm of the ELs is as poor as many people seem to say, then the more expensive SVs could well turn out to be a damp squib!

LL

I did a lot of research before opting for the EL 32s. After all my reading I really wanted to like the Zeiss FLs, I've read great things about them, but tried them side by side withe the ELs and just didn't think they were anywhere near as good. I also tried the Leica Ultravids and although I preferred them to the Zeiss I still didn't really think they were much better than the Swarovski 8x30 I already had.
Just goes to show that whatever the reviews or opinions of others you really need to try what's best for you.
Hope I've made the right decision!

I did a lot of research before opting for the EL 32s. After all my reading I really wanted to like the Zeiss FLs, I've read great things about them, but tried them side by side withe the ELs and just didn't think they were anywhere near as good. I also tried the Leica Ultravids and although I preferred them to the Zeiss I still didn't really think they were much better than the Swarovski 8x30 I already had.
Just goes to show that whatever the reviews or opinions of others you really need to try what's best for you.
Hope I've made the right decision!

I'm surprised Dennis has not chimed in a defense of his "baby" FL after that comment on it not being much better than the 8x30 SLC! Pshaw!

While I have more experience with porros than I do roofs, out of the roofs I've tried, I liked the 8x32 EL best because it had the most comfortable ergonomics (and I have large hands) but wasn't heavy and bulky like the full sized EL (pre-SV), showed the best 3-D representation and depth perception in a midsized roof (as good or better than some full sized mid-priced roofs I've tried), and most surprisingly, the focuser turned smoothly in both directions, at least on the sample I tried.

"Just goes to show that whatever the reviews or opinions of others you really need to try what's best for you."

Truer words were never written!

Brock

I suspect "value for money," although I too have never seen it before.

Mark

PS: I had never heard of a "damp squib" either, until yesterday when David Cameron dismissed a national strike as being one.

Sorry guys; forgot this is a 'worldwide' forum. Really must think more carefully in future. Top marks ... 'vfm' is indeed value for money and, a 'damp squib' is a waste of time or, in this and in Mr Cameron's case, not as successful as intended. Doesn't diminish the excellent quality of the bins though. Instead of arguing about which is the better instrument when all are compromises of physics anyway, why not get out into the field and put them to good use? Lesson over. :t:

LL

Sorry guys; forgot this is a 'worldwide' forum. Really must think more carefully in future. Top marks ... 'vfm' is indeed value for money and, a 'damp squib' is a waste of time or, in this and in Mr Cameron's case, not as successful as intended. Doesn't diminish the excellent quality of the bins though. Instead of arguing about which is the better instrument when all are compromises of physics anyway, why not get out into the field and put them to good use? Lesson over. :t:

LL

Don't change a thing, LL. Heck, I learned something--who can argue with that?

M

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back