• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is the best roof in the world better optically than the best porro? (1 Viewer)

Well that does it then, I will immediately abandon my Porros and order an SV. Dennis's reputation as a non waffling arbiter of all things optical has made this previously confusing issue crystal clear to me. Damn what a relief. :-O

I agree with you. The SV's have left the porro's in the dust with all the improvements in their latest incarnation. For $600 you can't beat the SE or EII but they aren't the optical equal of the SV's. It is just that when I look through the SV, SE, and EII I am amazed that the SV is quite a bit better. If you want the best view you have to pay the $2K. Sorry, porro's lovers.

I agree with you. The SV's have left the porro's in the dust with all the improvements in their latest incarnation. For $600 you can't beat the SE or EII but they aren't the optical equal of the SV's. It is just that when I look through the SV, SE, and EII I am amazed that the SV is quite a bit better. If you want the best view you have to pay the $2K. Sorry, porro's lovers.

I hate to keep this going but, Dennis, didn't your SV's fail the vaunted '' DVD test'' against all of your porro's?

But in fairness Dennis...you've never tested this one against the SV:

Attachments

• Giant%20Binoculars%20WEB1.jpg
    Giant%20Binoculars%20WEB1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 142
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2618059&postcount=414

"Nothing can beat a porro outside of another porro. In terms of sheer optical performance a roof will(As Taylor Swift puts it) never ever, ever, ever beat a porro."

"never ever ever ever eh !
That was before I tried the SV. It is the first roof I have tried that beat's the top porro's. It's the best all-around birding binocular you can buy. I sold my SE because I wasn't using it. The SV is just better. I kept the EII for it's big FOV bit it isn't as good either. Go ahead porro lovers pop for the $2K you won't be sorry. You won't have to worry about the rain and dust and fog.

Last edited:
Just a personal preference, but I still prefer the view from the SE and EII better than any roof out there, and I must have tried them all by now, including SV's. Most recently I owned an SLC HD 8x42 for a few months so got to know it quite well, and a stunning bin it was ( apart from the awful focuser) but still it didn't wow me quite as much as the SE.
I guess my eyes just settle more easily into the porro view. Apart from the obvious 3D advantage I seem to perceive a sharper, more transparent, more clearly defined image with the SE's , though I doubt they are really any sharper than the SLC HD or SV.
So, from a purely optical point of view, for me, the SE's are still unsurpassed.
Have you compared the SE head to head with the SV? It is easy to see the SV is superior. Bigger FOV, less CA, sharp edges and better eye relief. If you only want one get an 8x32 SV.

Last edited:
But is the SV really worth 3.27 SE's?

I am thinking the Swarovision is a little bit better than the 8x32 SE
but not by a significant difference.

My calculation is around 1.25 : 1. Do the math, and that means they are
both very nice optics.

If you need help in comprehending the data, get back to me. |;|

With, higher end optics, it does come down to personal choice.

Jerry

I am thinking the Swarovision is a little bit better than the 8x32 SE
but not by a significant difference.

My calculation is around 1.25 : 1. Do the math, and that means they are
both very nice optics.

If you need help in comprehending the data, get back to me. |;|

With, higher end optics, it does come down to personal choice.

Jerry
How did you come up with 1.25x?

But is the SV really worth 3.27 SE's?
The SV is the best. The best of anything is always more expensive. You have to decide if it worth it to you to get the very best view of the bird and be able to use it under any condition for $2K. That is not a lot nowadays for a hobby. The SV could replace all your binoculars.

Have you compared the SE head to head with the SV? It is easy to see the SV is superior. Bigger FOV, less CA, sharp edges and better eye relief. If you only want one get an 8x32 SV.

Not compared the SE head to head with the SV but I did with the SLC HD ( I believe the SLC HD is very much on par with the SV apart from the edges)

Anyway I agree with you, the SV has a bigger field of view, less CA, sharp edges and better eye relief than the SE, no doubt about it, its a better all round modern birding bin than the SE, but I still prefer the SE! Optically speaking though, I think they are both so good its a matter of preference and I prefer the SE ( bit like you did not long ago;) )

The SV is the best. The best of anything is always more expensive. You have to decide if it worth it to you to get the very best view of the bird and be able to use it under any condition for $2K. That is not a lot nowadays for a hobby. The SV could replace all your binoculars.

You're really building up a sales campaign here. You're right, sell it now, the resale value will drop once there is a better bino out there. I guess it's the discussion on the future Zeiss 32 HT that made you nerveous.
3:)

I sold my SE because I wasn't using it.

You kept that quiet !!

The SV is the best.

I have no doubt the SV is better, it bloody well ought to be, and even if it was`nt are the pair really competitors in the same binocular market ?

Not to me, one is easily available, the other takes real effort to seek out from a committed buyer.

Lets have a real revue or comparison for once to back up your stance, rather than these one or two word superlative statements.

I don't give a rat's ass about the premise of this thread, but don't you just love the expression "best in the world"? It's so grade school!

I get visions of Dennis' garage with a poster of some fire breathing Lamborghini with a bikini clad model next to it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back