• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon p310 or p330 (1 Viewer)

squidge

Wha Whassssat
Hi, just looking for opinions on which would be the best camera for digiscoping using either of these two.

As I also use a dslr I discounted the V1 as I don't want another interchangeable lens system. Plus I'm also looking for a point and shoot camera for when I don't have my dslr.

I haven't decided on which digiscoping adapter I will use on my swaro ATM but I've narrowed it down to either the DCA adapter, DCB or DCB II.

Regards Gerard.

Hi, just looking for opinions on which would be the best camera for digiscoping using either of these two.

As I also use a dslr I discounted the V1 as I don't want another interchangeable lens system. Plus I'm also looking for a point and shoot camera for when I don't have my dslr.

I haven't decided on which digiscoping adapter I will use on my swaro ATM but I've narrowed it down to either the DCA adapter, DCB or DCB II.

Regards Gerard.

Gerard,
These cameras are very similar but the P330 has Raw. They do not have ED glass lenses so are not too good at long distance ( over 50 meters) or against the sky. AF is very fast and video is good.
For long distance digiscoping ( over 50 meters ) in average to poor light I like the Sony RX 100 or newer RX 100 M2. The Sony's have fast Raw processing, 60p HD video , Sweep Panorama Mode, HDR Mode, Smart Camera control and Focus Peaking.
The DCB 11 is a good adapter.
Neil.

I am thinking about the p330 too. But now i have read somewhere else that the p330 needs up to 4 seconds to write down RAW images. That means for this time the camera us not able to make further shots. Is there any firmware update to decrease this time?

And i also cant find a remote release for the p330. How do you use them? Without remote release or is there a cable etc. that i only cant find?

Neil, it seems you have testet almost all of the current compact cameras for digiscoping. What are your "hitlist". Is there a camera compareable to the RX100? What is about the olympus XZ-2? The images i have found are fantastic (normal images, not digiscoped). Or is a Fujifilm X-20 also good for digiscoping?

Or another question. Is there a real difference between these cams? I think you dont go over ISO 400 at digiscoping, am i right? Do you have some kind of blog or internet album where it is possible to see your pictures and compare the quality of the different cams?

I am thinking about the p330 too. But now i have read somewhere else that the p330 needs up to 4 seconds to write down RAW images. That means for this time the camera us not able to make further shots. Is there any firmware update to decrease this time?

And i also cant find a remote release for the p330. How do you use them? Without remote release or is there a cable etc. that i only cant find?

Neil, it seems you have testet almost all of the current compact cameras for digiscoping. What are your "hitlist". Is there a camera compareable to the RX100? What is about the olympus XZ-2? The images i have found are fantastic (normal images, not digiscoped). Or is a Fujifilm X-20 also good for digiscoping?

Or another question. Is there a real difference between these cams? I think you dont go over ISO 400 at digiscoping, am i right? Do you have some kind of blog or internet album where it is possible to see your pictures and compare the quality of the different cams?

Some of the cameras come down to personal preference as there is not much difference in the output. The raw processing of the P330 is unacceptable for birds, especially in Continuous Mode. I sometimes shoot one frame at a time using the Self-timer but normally that is too slow. I usually shoot with two cameras so that I can switch out the P330 while it is processing Raw, and switch in the Sony RX 100 M2 ( or RX 100). I have 3 plates for the DCB 11 adapter so that I can use 3 cameras if necessary. But the P330 and RX 100M2 are the same size and I can switch between them on the DCB 11 without any adjustment . The RX 100 M2 is much faster in processing RAW so I shoot Raw + jpeg all the time. I also like it's 60p HD video so I use that mode a lot too.
You can see Sets using the various cameras on my Flickr site
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550@N03/sets/
Neil.

Thank you for your answer!!

There are some really impressive images in your album :t:

Is there another camera than the RX 100 you would recommend for shooting RAW´s? And how fast is the jpeg speed of the p330?

The Fuji 100 images look great too. But how can you digiscope with a fixed lens (dont know the exact english word). How do you prevent vignetting?

And do you have any experiences with the Olympus XZ-2?

Thank you for your answer!!

There are some really impressive images in your album :t:

Is there another camera than the RX 100 you would recommend for shooting RAW´s? And how fast is the jpeg speed of the p330?

The Fuji 100 images look great too. But how can you digiscope with a fixed lens (dont know the exact english word). How do you prevent vignetting?

And do you have any experiences with the Olympus XZ-2?

For Raw you could have a look at the Panasonic LX5. The P330 is very fast in jpeg but it does long bursts which still take time to process. I do like that you can keep the shutter pressed and it will keep shooting like the Canons. Once you lift the finger though if locks while processing for some time. The RX 100 M2 is much faster.
The Fuji lens is 35 mm which is long enough to mean little to no vignetting. It's a nice camera and the newer 100s is even better but I don't like the menus and the video was not as good as the Sonys.
I've had no experience with the Olympus.
Neil.

Thank you again :t:

Is there a connection between the lens diameter and the purpose for digiscoping? I always thought the lens diameter must be as small as possible.

I would use a Nikon ED 82 with my ordinary 38x Eyepiece.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back